The Student Room Group

IB student applying for Computer Science without ITGS

This is my first post on TSR

I am an IB student and in Year 13. Looking at studying computer science in the UK. My subject choices are:
Geography HL
Chemistry HL
Physics HL
Maths SL (not studies)
Arabic B SL
English Literature SL

In GCSE's I got 3 A* and 7 A.

My question is: Is it possible for me to have a decent chance on getting offers for computer science courses without having done GCSE ICT and IB ITGS?

My university choices are:
University of Glasgow
University of Nottingham
University of Kent
Aston University
Royal Holloway

Note: My school does not offer computer science and I had doubts whether ITGS was perceived as being a "soft" subject so I chose Geography HL instead.
Reply 1
I will promote this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You could also try posting this thread to the IB section of TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by arbucks
You could also try posting this thread to the IB section of TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea, I'll repost this thread on the IB section of this website. Being a new member, it will take some time to get familiar with the website.
I think your mathematics SL is the thing thats going to hold you back. Most computer science courses require Math HL. Computer related subjects taken at O / IB level hardly affect your entry. Only Math HL and the overall score really matter.
Reply 5
Original post by barrinalo
I think your mathematics SL is the thing thats going to hold you back. Most computer science courses require Math HL. Computer related subjects taken at O / IB level hardly affect your entry. Only Math HL and the overall score really matter.

Thanks for advice on "computer related subjects," however I still do not understand why they are not taken seriously?

The universities I am applying to do not require HL maths as HL maths is quite difficult from what I heard. I go to a private school and only 3 students in my year do HL maths. With that said universities, for computer science, encourage students to study science-related subjects (in my case I do three science related subjects: physics, chemistry and geography) and for IB students specifically do either SL Maths (not studies) or HL Maths.
Original post by Akbar1
Thanks for advice on "computer related subjects," however I still do not understand why they are not taken seriously?

The universities I am applying to do not require HL maths as HL maths is quite difficult from what I heard. I go to a private school and only 3 students in my year do HL maths. With that said universities, for computer science, encourage students to study science-related subjects (in my case I do three science related subjects: physics, chemistry and geography) and for IB students specifically do either SL Maths (not studies) or HL Maths.

I dont think that the computer related subjects are not taken seriously, but they are not as essential as math and a decent overall score. If they were important the university websites would state them as requirements on the website. Since you have Math SL already it shouldnt be a problem. I think they would only consider the other IT related subjects to compensate if you did not have a good grade in Math SL or something.
Reply 7
Reply 8

The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

IB = International Baccalaureate

If you want to know it is a post-16 programme. You essentially take 3 subjects at Standard Level (SL) and 3 subjects at Higher Level (HL). In addition to this there are the "core" subjects and activities which are: CAS (Creativity, Action and Service) - pretty much doing extra-curricular activities, EE (Extended Essay) - 4,000 independently research essay and TOK (Theory of Knowledge) - critical thinking course.

Original post by arbucks
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be IBDP because the International Baccalaureate does PYP and MYP too.

With that said can we please not go off topic, there are other threads on the TSR in which to find out about the IB (for dummies).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending