The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni "Reduced Grades"

On the majority of the Computing related courses - eg: Software Engineering, it says "Students applying with an A level or IB Higher Level in Computing, Computer Science or Mathematics will be considered for a lower offer."

I currently am doing an A-Level in Computer Science, has anyone been in the same situation and what was the lower offer? Or can anyone provide a rough estimate on what the lower offer is for some peace of mind?
Hi,
It's great to hear you are are considering Lancaster! I don't study software engineering so I can't help directly. It might be worth emailing [email protected] to find out more details, or even getting in contact with the school of computing and communications directly via email at [email protected].
Normally grade reductions due to, for instance, completing an EPQ, are one grade, so it might be similar?
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
On the majority of the Computing related courses - eg: Software Engineering, it says "Students applying with an A level or IB Higher Level in Computing, Computer Science or Mathematics will be considered for a lower offer."

I currently am doing an A-Level in Computer Science, has anyone been in the same situation and what was the lower offer? Or can anyone provide a rough estimate on what the lower offer is for some peace of mind?

Hey Anon,

In the majority of cases, a lower offer would mean one grade lower - e.g., since Software Engineering at Lancaster has an entry requirement of AAB, a lower offer would typically ask for ABB, rather than AAC.

Also important to note, it's not a guarantee this offer will be made! Every year it really depends on how many people are applying to the course, and how feasible it is to give these offers. Although achieving the A in your Computing-related course could help the likelihood.

If it'd give you better peace of mind, you can get in touch with the Faculty of Science and Tech undergrad team:
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0)1524 510311
They'll always be the best source of reliable and up-to-date information specific to each course, so can give you the best idea of what you might expect. They were super helpful and put my mind at ease when I was applying and worrying about grades and potential offers so I'd definitely recommend getting in touch if you're worrying!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc
Reply 3
Thanks, this is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending