The Student Room Group

Oxford ib PPe ( desperate advice)

I just started ib and I didn’t get the grades to do higher maths, would I still have a chance for PPe. I was thinking of potentially changing to a school that would let me do alevel maths or doing alevel maths privately on the side
Maths SL
English SL
French SL
Economics HL
Politics HL
Computer science HL
Reply 1
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics

Here is a link to the requirements for Oxford PPE. They recommend HL maths but do not require it, or any other subject, so you could even apply without having done economics or politics in IB. They even write this explanation on the web page:

"Although a background in Mathematics is not an essential requirement for admission, it is recommended, and PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course. Mathematics is a particular advantage for the Economics component of the course, as well as for the first year logic course in philosophy, and for understanding theories and data in politics. It is recommended to have learnt the basics of differentiation before starting your university course in PPE. Many successful applicants have studied Maths to at least AS-level, or another equivalent. You may like to consider taking Maths to AS-level, or an equivalent qualification such as IB Standard Level, even if you do not pursue it further. However, we do understand that these qualifications may not be available to all students.Extra tuition will be available to students that have not studied Maths A-Level who require any assistance. View the PPE admissions statistics for information on the success rates for applicants applying with different A-level subjects. "

What this means in practice is that a lot of people applying for the course will have HL maths or A-Level maths and further maths, but you still have good chances with SL analysis if you get a good grade from it (7 or at least 6). I wouldn't worry about having SL for PPE since its heavily essay based, and would instead focus on getting top grades so you can have at least 39, but ideally 40+ total points, as well as meeting the 766 at HL requirement.
Original post by Jojo_ehei
I just started ib and I didn’t get the grades to do higher maths, would I still have a chance for PPe. I was thinking of potentially changing to a school that would let me do alevel maths or doing alevel maths privately on the side
Maths SL
English SL
French SL
Economics HL
Politics HL
Computer science HL
Reply 2
Original post by DmitryC
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics

Here is a link to the requirements for Oxford PPE. They recommend HL maths but do not require it, or any other subject, so you could even apply without having done economics or politics in IB. They even write this explanation on the web page:

"Although a background in Mathematics is not an essential requirement for admission, it is recommended, and PPE applicants should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the course. Mathematics is a particular advantage for the Economics component of the course, as well as for the first year logic course in philosophy, and for understanding theories and data in politics. It is recommended to have learnt the basics of differentiation before starting your university course in PPE. Many successful applicants have studied Maths to at least AS-level, or another equivalent. You may like to consider taking Maths to AS-level, or an equivalent qualification such as IB Standard Level, even if you do not pursue it further. However, we do understand that these qualifications may not be available to all students.Extra tuition will be available to students that have not studied Maths A-Level who require any assistance. View the PPE admissions statistics for information on the success rates for applicants applying with different A-level subjects. "

What this means in practice is that a lot of people applying for the course will have HL maths or A-Level maths and further maths, but you still have good chances with SL analysis if you get a good grade from it (7 or at least 6). I wouldn't worry about having SL for PPE since its heavily essay based, and would instead focus on getting top grades so you can have at least 39, but ideally 40+ total points, as well as meeting the 766 at HL requirement.

Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending