The Student Room Group

2023 Computer Science Applicants Threads

Are you applying to study Computer Science at University in 2023? Then this is the place for you!:smile:

Post below with details about your...

Course:
What universities are you thinking of:
Any achieved AS exam grades:
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE/iGCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!:biggrin:

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253776

StrawberryDreams Can you add this to Computer Science Applicants Threads? Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Course: Computer Science BEng (Computer Science with Management for KCL)
What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Edinburgh
Any achieved AS exam grades: Took 9MA0 A-Level Math exam at the end of the y12: A* / Physics: A / Computer Science: A
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades: Mathematics A*(Achieved) / Further Math: A* / CS: A* / Physics A*
GCSE/iGCSE grades: A*A*A*9999977
Extra curriculars: Volunteering, MUN, etc

Gl
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kr787899
Are you applying to study Computer Science at University in 2023? Then this is the place for you!:smile:

Course:
GCSE/iGCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here :

StrawberryDreams Can you add this to Computer Science Applicants Threads? Thank you

Hi guys!

I am a sixth-form student studying A levels. I studied Math, Further Math, Physics and Computer Science. I am hoping to study at Imperial/UCL for Computer Science but I know it's extremely competitive. I did a tech-related work experience and some mini-programming projects :smile::smile::smile:t

I also did some volunteering and tutoring when I was in Year 12.
Course: Computer Science BSc

What universities are you thinking of: Warwick, Durham, Southampton, Bristol, Cardiff

Any achieved AS exam grades: N/A

A* (Mathematics) / A Physics / A Economics / B Computer Science

GCSE/iGCSE grades:99777664

Extra curriculars: Haven't done that much, prob just volunteering
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by eod9361
Any achieved AS exam grades: Took 9MA0 A-Level Math exam at the end of the y12: A* / Physics: A / Computer Science: A
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades: Mathematics A*(Achieved) / Further Math: A* / CS: A* / Physics A*

Gl

omg ur grades are amazing!!
Course: Computer Science
What universities are you thinking of: Warwick, Cambridge, Durham, Birmingham
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A (Maths, Compsci, Econ)
GCSE/iGCSE grades: 9999988888
Extra curriculars: ARSM in piano :smile:
hello ,will it be consider waste of time if i apply for Imperial without a further maths or cs :h:
Reply 7
If that's the case, you should perform really good at the interview.
Also, what are your other subjects?
Original post by KasablanKa2022
hello ,will it be consider waste of time if i apply for Imperial without a further maths or cs :h:
Original post by eod9361

Gl

that's amazing!
I received an offer from Southampton on the 17th of November! (I sent off my UCAS applications on the 11th of October)
hello
for a levels I chose maths, computer science and french + cs related epq
do you think i will be disadvantaged for not choosing physics or further maths or doing either of these as a fourth a level
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jamest0394q
hello
for a levels I chose maths, computer science and french + cs related epq
do you think i will be disadvantaged for not choosing physics or further maths or doing either of these as a fourth a level

If you want to go to a top tier uni such as oxbridge, imperial or ucl, you should definitely do further maths. Most applicants for those unis tend to do further maths as one of their a-levels, and in my opinion most unis prefer a high mark in further maths than any other subjects. Physics is great too, but in my opinion if you have to choose one between physics and further maths I’d choose further maths since it’s what unis want in my opinion and I felt that further maths is easier than physics. Good luck with your application!
Original post by sk0917
If you want to go to a top tier uni such as oxbridge, imperial or ucl, you should definitely do further maths. Most applicants for those unis tend to do further maths as one of their a-levels, and in my opinion most unis prefer a high mark in further maths than any other subjects. Physics is great too, but in my opinion if you have to choose one between physics and further maths I’d choose further maths since it’s what unis want in my opinion and I felt that further maths is easier than physics. Good luck with your application!

Ok thanks a lot
Will I be disadvantaged without either of these?
Reply 13
Ok thanks a lot
Will I be disadvantaged without either of these?

I can’t say you’ll be disadvantaged, but I’m sure for the top tier unis doing further maths is a huge advantage. Literally every student in a top tier uni did further maths for their a-levels. I really recommend you to do further maths if you have the urge to do it.
Original post by sk0917
I can’t say you’ll be disadvantaged, but I’m sure for the top tier unis doing further maths is a huge advantage. Literally every student in a top tier uni did further maths for their a-levels. I really recommend you to do further maths if you have the urge to do it.

we're two months in tbf so I could but i think id have quite a bit to catch up on
Course: Computer Science (BSc)
What universities are you thinking of: UCL, Warwick, Manchester, Bristol and KCL
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher achieved grades: Biology A*, Chemistry A*, Maths A* and EPQ A*
GCSE/iGCSE grades: 8 A*'s and 3 A's
Extra curriculars: Grade 8 Lamda, Work experience, volunteering etc.

I have achieved 4A*'s at A level, but I did not study Further Maths , do you think I should still apply to UCL for comp sci?
Also, I am self learning Further Maths and I have put that in my PS, but I am not giving the exam.
Hello
I recently bought two cs related books
Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions Paperback 6 April 2017 and Code: The Hidden Language Hardcover 1 Oct. 1999
do you think it will be good to talk about on personal statement?
im in year 12
thanks
Hello
I recently bought two cs related books
Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions Paperback 6 April 2017 and Code: The Hidden Language Hardcover 1 Oct. 1999
do you think it will be good to talk about on personal statement?
im in year 12
thanks

I’d say those are great!

In fact, you can probably mention any books you read that are related to STEM is some way (so not necessarily about computer science).

Books are a great way to show you’ve invested time to learn beyond any school curriculum out of your own initiative.

They can give you ideas for things to discuss, so they’re a good way to start new paragraphs and provide evidence of your interest in one go…. “I was keen to explore __ so I read __ which introduced me to the topic and…”
Original post by DaydreamLagoon
I’d say those are great!

In fact, you can probably mention any books you read that are related to STEM is some way (so not necessarily about computer science).

Books are a great way to show you’ve invested time to learn beyond any school curriculum out of your own initiative.

They can give you ideas for things to discuss, so they’re a good way to start new paragraphs and provide evidence of your interest in one go…. “I was keen to explore __ so I read __ which introduced me to the topic and…”

Oh ok thats helpful thanks a lot
Reply 19
Original post by Kr787899

Course:
GCSE/iGCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

CS bsc / CS with AI
Cambridge , Warwick, Durham, uni of bath, uni of Birmingham
Predicted A*A*A*A* (Maths, further maths, CS, Physics)
GCSE - 9999999988
Did some programming projects in different fields of CS and also some maths heavy ones. Did extra reading. Did hackathons and placed nationally in coding competitions. Playing badminton at a high level, MMA and gym

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending