The Student Room Group

Properties of Waves at Reflection and Refraction

Hi guys.

Am I right in thinking that with a transverse wave, when it is in a denser medium, like glass, the speed of the wave reduces, the wavelength decreases too, and so the frequency decreases too.

For a transverse wave, during reflection, the wave speed, wavelength, and frequency remains unchanged.

Am I right?
Original post by ΘTheta
Hi guys.

Am I right in thinking that with a transverse wave, when it is in a denser medium, like glass, the speed of the wave reduces, the wavelength decreases too, and so the frequency decreases too.

For a transverse wave, during reflection, the wave speed, wavelength, and frequency remains unchanged.

Am I right?

In the denser medium the frequency of the wave doesn't change. Just the speed and wavelength according to v =

They all remain the same after reflection assuming no loss in energy.
Reply 2
Original post by Stonebridge
In the denser medium the frequency of the wave doesn't change. Just the speed and wavelength according to v =

They all remain the same after reflection assuming no loss in energy.

So the speed and wavelength reduces, but the frequency remains constant in a denser medium?
Thanks!
Original post by ΘTheta
So the speed and wavelength reduces, but the frequency remains constant in a denser medium?
Thanks!

Yes, that's how a wave behaves.
Reply 4
Yes, that's how a wave behaves.

Oh I see. So if a wave moves from a more dense to a less dense medium, the wavelength increase, the frequency remains the same and the speed increases too?
Original post by ΘTheta
Oh I see. So if a wave moves from a more dense to a less dense medium, the wavelength increase, the frequency remains the same and the speed increases too?

Yes. The important thing is that the frequency doesn't (can't) change.
Reply 6
Yes. The important thing is that the frequency doesn't (can't) change.

Hello.

Does all this apply to longitudinal waves too?
Original post by ΘTheta
Hello.

How I think of it is imagine ten balls every second rolling onto a conveyor belt. They'll go faster relative to a static observer (since the conveyor belt is moving them and they are rolling on it too, going, say, double the speed), but there'll still be ten of them in the same time-frame; otherwise they wouldn't be able to fit! :smile:
Original post by ΘTheta
Hello.

Yes. All waves.

Quick Reply

Latest