The Student Room Group

physics

1. Explain in detail how our ears can detect
sound waves. Include the terms compression and rarefaction in your answer.
Okay, here we go!

When an ear detects a sound wave, it comes to a compression in the one and rarefaction in the other hand. The sound wave is segmented in wavelengths and their distance to each other influence the frequency. Compression causes a shorter distance of the wavelengths, a higher frequency and a louder sound, while a rarefaction leads to a longer distance of the wavelengths, a lower frequency and a quieter (softer) sound.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by lemyyy06
1. Explain in detail how our ears can detect
sound waves. Include the terms compression and rarefaction in your answer.

Hi, welcome to TSR.
It would be better if you provide some writing of the answer so that we know what kind of feedback we can provide to improve your answer.
Since there is no writing of your answer, I would provide some links that have the necessary information.

1. https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/u11l1c.cfm
2. https://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/waves/edl.cfm
3. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zsg26g8#zycxhcw

The 1st link describes what is sound waves and how compressions and rarefactions are produced which is essential to answering your questions
The 2nd link contains content which is essentially what you need which links the propagation of sound waves consisting of series compressions and rarefactions reaching the ear and how the various parts of the ear respond to the sound wave.
The 3rd link shows the parts in our ear and summarises how our ear responds to sound waves.

Note that this content is at the GCSE level and may not be suitable for the advanced level.

Again I like to emphasise that it is important that you do it once to stitch the essential points together and write them down instead of “copying” from others.
Original post by Kallisto
Okay, here we go!

When an ear detects a sound wave, it comes to a compression in the one and rarefaction in the other hand. The sound wave is segmented in wavelengths and their distance to each other influence the frequency. Compression causes a shorter distance of the wavelengths, a higher frequency and a louder sound, while a rarefaction leads to a longer distance of the wavelengths, a lower frequency and a quieter (softer) sound.

Unfortunately, this “explanation” has a lot of flaws that I would suggest you read a trustworthy source that explains how wavelength and frequency are determined/found in pressure waves such as sound and what is associated with the loudness of sound.

Below is one that you can read.
http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/pplato2/h-flap/phys5_7.html
Original post by Eimmanuel
Unfortunately, this “explanation” has a lot of flaws that I would suggest you read a trustworthy source that explains how wavelength and frequency are determined/found in pressure waves such as sound and what is associated with the loudness of sound.

Below is one that you can read.
http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/pplato2/h-flap/phys5_7.html

To be fair, I thought it was asked for the doppler effect and what does this mean for the ear in turn when it detects a sound. But I was wrong, it was obviously asked about how a sound wave comes into being, especially the the compression and rarefaction and how the ear is receiving the sound wave. My mistake.

I tried to follow your link, but I was not redirected. Can you add another link or answer by yourself?
(edited 3 months ago)
I tried to follow your link, but I was not redirected.

Can you report as a bug? I am not sure why it is not redirected on your side.
Or you can try to right-click on the link and copy and paste the link on another tab to see if you can view the website.

Can you add another link or answer by yourself?

Not sure what you are asking.
Can you report as a bug? I am not sure why it is not redirected on your side.
Or you can try to right-click on the link and copy and paste the link on another tab to see if you can view the website.

Not sure what you are asking.

Did the copy-and-paste-thing, but it didn't work. Sorry. Can you send an alternative instructive link or tell me what 'flaws' I had in my explanation? I just follow the other links you posted in comment #3 in the meantime.
Did the copy-and-paste-thing, but it didn't work.

Here is the link.
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\href{http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/pplato2/h-flap/phys5_7.html}{\textit{www.met.reading.ac.uk/pplato2/h-flap/phys5_7.html}}.[br]

Try typing out the link.

I say right-click on the link and copy the link as shown below NOT copy and paste.
After you have copied the link, paste the link on a new tab.
TSR_link_01.JPG
The picture is shown using the Microsoft Edge browser.

If the above still does not work, google using the word “PPLATO”. It appears as the first result in my Google search engine as shown below.
TSR_PPLATO_01.JPG
Click on the result circled in yellow.
Next, go to PHYS 5.7: Sound - a wave phenomenon.
To be fair, I thought it was asked for the doppler effect and what does this mean for the ear in turn when it detects a sound. But I was wrong, it was obviously asked about how a sound wave comes into being, especially the the compression and rarefaction and how the ear is receiving the sound wave. My mistake.

If you are writing about Doppler effect, then it is worse.

Can you tell me what 'flaws' I had in my explanation?

See below. Every sentence (IMO) is wrong!

When an ear detects a sound wave, it comes to a compression in the one and rarefaction in the other hand.

Don’t really understand what you are explaining or describing.

The sound wave is segmented in wavelengths and their distance to each other influence the frequency.

Again, don’t understand how a wave is segmented in wavelength. Distance between what?
Compression causes a shorter distance of the wavelengths, a higher frequency and a louder sound, while a rarefaction leads to a longer distance of the wavelengths, a lower frequency and a quieter (softer) sound.

I don’t see how compression can cause shorter wavelength and higher frequency and louder sound and rarefaction can produce longer wavelength.
Both compressions and rarefactions must occur in a sound wave see below.

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/u11l1c.cfm
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/17-1-sound-waves/
x

I see that my explanation led to a misunderstanding and important details are missing. Just give me a chance to elaborate and to correct myself.

I will begin with the doppler effect. What I know is that it is the cange of frequency when a vehicle approaches or recedes an observer. And this frequency consists of repeat units in wave shapes, called the wavelengths. And the distance from one amplitude (the 'crest') to another is the period. And this distance from one amplitude to another has an influence to the hearing sound. When the amplitudes are very close to each other, the oscillation period of the frequency is short and leads to a louder sound. That is the case when the vehicle approaces the observer. But when it receds from the observer, the oscillation period of the frequency is longer, that in turn means that the distance of the amplitudes grows and leads to a softer hearing sound.

I confused the (oscillation) period of wavelengths in a frequency with the compression and rarefaction of a circular sound wave in propagation. When a sound wave propagates in a medium (air for instance), the particles increases and decreases in pressure. That is to say the particles are compressed and stretched alternatively in a medium what causes a longitudinal wave. The sound wave moves batchwise and approaches the ear. When the sound wave touches the eardrum, the eardrum begins to vibrate. The compression of the sound wave makes sure that the eardrum moves inwards into the auditory canal, while the rarefaction causes the opposite and the eardrum moves outwards of the auditory canal. In this way the pressure wave is transmitted by the three components of the ear bones, hammer, anvil and stirrup to the cochlea. The cochlea transduces the pressure wave to an electric signal and transmit it to the auditory nerve and moves further to the central nervous system where the sound is evaluated.

The fine difference between these things: while a doppler effect is an explanation for the changing volume of a sound in terms of the consideration between vechicle and observer, the sound wave as pressure wave with compression and rarefaction makes clear how a sound or a noise in general is propagated.

Hope that it is clear and right now. Let me know, if there is still something wrong.
(edited 3 months ago)
I see that my explanation led to a misunderstanding and important details are missing. Just give me a chance to elaborate and to correct myself.

I will begin with the doppler effect. What I know is that it is the cange of frequency when a vehicle approaches or recedes an observer. And this frequency consists of repeat units in wave shapes, called the wavelengths. And the distance from one amplitude (the 'crest') to another is the period. And this distance from one amplitude to another has an influence to the hearing sound. When the amplitudes are very close to each other, the oscillation period of the frequency is short and leads to a louder sound. That is the case when the vehicle approaces the observer. But when it receds from the observer, the oscillation period of the frequency is longer, that in turn means that the distance of the amplitudes grows and leads to a softer hearing sound.

I would recommend you reread the materials from PPLATO if possible and don't rephrase if you cannot.
Your explanation for the Doppler effect is bad.
None of the statements explains or describes the Doppler effect correctly. There is nothing to correct as I also cannot figure out what are you trying to explain or describe.
I confused the (oscillation) period of wavelengths in a frequency with the compression and rarefaction of a circular sound wave in propagation.

Again, I am not sure what you are confused with as the sentence makes no sense.

When a sound wave propagates in a medium (air for instance), the particles increases and decreases in pressure. That is to say the particles are compressed and stretched alternatively in a medium what causes a longitudinal wave.

Pressure is not an inherent property of particles, so it makes no sense to say that “particles increase and decrease in pressure”. This saying is an analogy to the saying “When a metal is heated, the particles expand”, which is wrong.

The sound wave moves batchwise and approaches the ear.

This statement does not sound right, as far as I know, we don't write in this way.

When the sound wave touches the eardrum, the eardrum begins to vibrate. The compression of the sound wave makes sure that the eardrum moves inwards into the auditory canal, while the rarefaction causes the opposite and the eardrum moves outwards of the auditory canal. In this way the pressure wave is transmitted by the three components of the ear bones, hammer, anvil and stirrup to the cochlea. The cochlea transduces the pressure wave to an electric signal and transmit it to the auditory nerve and moves further to the central nervous system where the sound is evaluated.

If you want to know how well you have written, you can read the info in the given link below and there is a video.
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/17-3-sound-intensity/

Quick Reply

Latest