The Student Room Group

Alevel physics in engineering

In september ( if all goes well) il be starting a degree in aeronautical/aerospace engineerin or mechancial engineering. I know theyre quite similair but still need to pick the one which helps me best acheve what i want to do

anyway i was ust wondering how much f my alevel content is actually useful in these engineering degrees. The topics for alevel are:

Electricity
meachanics and materials
waves
particles
further mechanics (SHM and circular motion)
Fields
Capacitors
Nuclear
Thermal
Thermodynamics
Roatitional dynamics

i would of thought that stuff like particles and nuclear i will not need after but just thought it might be a good idea to keep some alevel content up to knowledge over summer so i can hit the ground running at uni. Is there anything else which is a good idea to do over summer to put yourself in the best position entering an engineering degree?
Original post by charlie.R.12
In september ( if all goes well) il be starting a degree in aeronautical/aerospace engineerin or mechancial engineering. I know theyre quite similair but still need to pick the one which helps me best acheve what i want to do

anyway i was ust wondering how much f my alevel content is actually useful in these engineering degrees. The topics for alevel are:

Electricity
meachanics and materials
waves
particles
Fields
Capacitors
Nuclear
Thermal
Thermodynamics
Roatitional dynamics

i would of thought that stuff like particles and nuclear i will not need after but just thought it might be a good idea to keep some alevel content up to knowledge over summer so i can hit the ground running at uni. Is there anything else which is a good idea to do over summer to put yourself in the best position entering an engineering degree?

im doing mech eng in september. what uni you going?

have a look at the course and see how much of each topic you can see. im gonna assume that
thermodynamics
thermal (to an extent)
rotational dynamics
mechanics without the shm
electricity
and materials

will be present during the degree. thermodynamics and mechanics will be the biggest part as these are part of mechanical engineering's foundations
Reply 2
Original post by user8937264980
im doing mech eng in september. what uni you going?

have a look at the course and see how much of each topic you can see. im gonna assume that
thermodynamics
thermal (to an extent)
rotational dynamics
mechanics without the shm
electricity
and materials

will be present during the degree. thermodynamics and mechanics will be the biggest part as these are part of mechanical engineering's foundations

yea thats what i was thinking tbh i reckon maybe some waves and even shm maybe when desgining systems as you dont want stuff like cars resonanting going over speed bumps ( wouldnt be this but this type of reason why i think it may come up)

Im going southampton uni as they looked really strong for both mechanical and aeronautical. How about you?
yea thats what i was thinking tbh i reckon maybe some waves and even shm maybe when desgining systems as you dont want stuff like cars resonanting going over speed bumps ( wouldnt be this but this type of reason why i think it may come up)

Im going southampton uni as they looked really strong for both mechanical and aeronautical. How about you?

yeah southamptons very good. im going leeds

i forgot you mentioned aeronautical so there will definitely be some waves stuff, however most of waves isnt really that useful when you think about it. its just mostly about light and refraction - not much about aerodynamics or detail into the behaviour of particles around complex shapes for example. shm would also be present with the damping of mechanical systems
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
yeah southamptons very good. im going leeds

i forgot you mentioned aeronautical so there will definitely be some waves stuff, however most of waves isnt really that useful when you think about it. its just mostly about light and refraction - not much about aerodynamics or detail into the behaviour of particles around complex shapes for example. shm would also be present with the damping of mechanical systems

yea i didnt really enjoy learning waves at all due to i felt it was useless and was more learning it for the sake of learning it rather then something like mechanics where you can see its actuall aplications.
I had leeds down to apply for but i pulled out near finally sending off my application as its about 6 hours aways from me so didnt have time to visit but it looks very good and also strong for engineering.

Are you doing your alevels at the moment and if so how are you finding them?
yea i didnt really enjoy learning waves at all due to i felt it was useless and was more learning it for the sake of learning it rather then something like mechanics where you can see its actuall aplications.
I had leeds down to apply for but i pulled out near finally sending off my application as its about 6 hours aways from me so didnt have time to visit but it looks very good and also strong for engineering.

Are you doing your alevels at the moment and if so how are you finding them?

yeah im doing them right now. do you do aqa physics? the paper was so different to usual but i like the direction theyre going by getting us to do active problem solving instead of just practicing and revising. wish they told us they were doing this though as it felt like my revision didnt really mean much.

maths is going very well but i need to focus more on chem... it just gets kinda fun doing maths papers for a confidence boost. how are yours?
Reply 6
yeah im doing them right now. do you do aqa physics? the paper was so different to usual but i like the direction theyre going by getting us to do active problem solving instead of just practicing and revising. wish they told us they were doing this though as it felt like my revision didnt really mean much.

maths is going very well but i need to focus more on chem... it just gets kinda fun doing maths papers for a confidence boost. how are yours?

pretty much the exact same but i take econ instead of chem. Maths is very good and has come quite naturally and im excalty the same with the fact that practise paper are just boosting confidence. Physics i was quite suprised with the AQA paper ive made some silly mistakes but seemed to have got most the big math questions which is good to know, its defintely the hardest paper one thyve handed out but i presume we see low grade bouandaires as i finshed wiht about 20 mins to go but everyone around me was just guessing the MCQ after the exam had finshed in hope for marks.
But yeah physics and maths have defintely been my strongest so far so hoping for A* in both and same with econ but id be more then happy with A*AA as thats my entry reuqirement for soton
Reply 7

Chem is awful for me. Physics and maths have always been my strong point and chem is just slightly different (a bit boring imo). I hope you do well in all of your subjects. Oh and I heard about AQA physics, apparently was "horrible" from what I heard. I do edexcel, it was an alright paper 1. Not too difficult, not too easy.
Reply 8

Electricity
meachanics and materials
waves
particles
Fields
Capacitors
Nuclear
Thermal
Thermodynamics
Roatitional dynamics

Im sure you'll be touching on most of the topics there in some way, though stuff like Mechanics and Thermodynamics will be more focused on in your degree. I'd look at the modules listed on your degrees website. Mech and Aero usually are very similar with Aero focusing more on aerodynamics related stuff as the name would suggest. One thing I do wanna say is that having a Aero degree can limit you in comparison to mech, its not very difficult to get into aerospace related fields even with mech eng degree. I'd only consider it if you're certain that you have a passion for those sorta stuff. Otherwise Mech eng is just a bit of every engineering so (biased opinion: i think its better than aero).

Oh and just a bit about myself. I'm studying Physics, Maths Chem. Have done some good amount of research into a bunch of engineering fields and what it means to study engineering. Hopefully will doing Mech Eng degree at UCL from this september. Hope my advice helps!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Noctua
Im sure you'll be touching on most of the topics there in some way, though stuff like Mechanics and Thermodynamics will be more focused on in your degree. I'd look at the modules listed on your degrees website. Mech and Aero usually are very similar with Aero focusing more on aerodynamics related stuff as the name would suggest. One thing I do wanna say is that having a Aero degree can limit you in comparison to mech, its not very difficult to get into aerospace related fields even with mech eng degree. I'd only consider it if you're certain that you have a passion for those sorta stuff. Otherwise Mech eng is just a bit of every engineering so (biased opinion: i think its better than aero).

yea ill deifntely look into a bit more after exams. Only reason i look to take this course over mechanical is due to i would like to get into engineering in formula 1 and hopefully help create cars. Plus this is the same course which adrian newey took who is proabbly regarded as one of the bes egnineers due to his work in F1. But i may look to do mechanical then either do a masters in race car aerodynamics at southampton (as theyre the only place to offer this) or apply to cranfield or oxfrod brookes and get msters there.
Reply 10
yea ill deifntely look into a bit more after exams. Only reason i look to take this course over mechanical is due to i would like to get into engineering in formula 1 and hopefully help create cars. Plus this is the same course which adrian newey took who is proabbly regarded as one of the bes egnineers due to his work in F1. But i may look to do mechanical then either do a masters in race car aerodynamics at southampton (as theyre the only place to offer this) or apply to cranfield or oxfrod brookes and get msters there.

Fair enough, sounds like you have a solid plan. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I've heard about Aerospace engineers get into jobs that you wouldn't really associate with Aero, end of the day, its just how well you can sell yourself once you get out of uni. Good luck with your plans.

i want to go into f1 too, but powertrain instead of car design. aero will defo help you in that case but like the other person said it will limit you more. if youre sure aerodynamics of the car is your thing then yeah go for aero as this will benefit you more. if you want to explore different things and maybe do a different part of car design while on your journey to f1 then mech is more broad

Quick Reply

Latest