The Student Room Group

10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman in Hijab

Interesting social experiment. What do you think? :smile:

[video="youtube;mgw6y3cH7tA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgw6y3cH7tA[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by solomon58
Interesting social experiment. What do you think? :smile:

[video="youtube;mgw6y3cH7tA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgw6y3cH7tA[/video]

"Interesting" isn't exactly the right term. Maybe it was initially but these bloody videos are nothing more than boring and predictable now.

Even before the showed her walking with the hijab I knew that there would be less comments and you know why? Simply because while wearing the hijab you can't tell if she's attractive or not unless you are walking towards her and get a clear look at her face, and the only thing that these videos have proven is that attractive people get more comments.

What the hell is it gonna be next? Fat guy walks through Oslo for ten hours? Amputee hops through downtown Toronto?
Original post by solomon58
But I think thats the point of the video. By wearing modest clothes, you're less likely to attract the attention of perverts. If they can't see your beauty, perverts are less likely to comment or harass you.

And my point is that all these videos are now doing is repeating the same thing over and over again in slightly different ways, and that what they are saying is something which was already known by everybody.

The other thing that pisses me off about these videos is that the majority of the clips that they show are not harassment, they're not rude, they're not obscene, they're not predatory, and they sure as hell don't show that the people involved have any bad intentions and yet they all try and drive home the message that men are disgusting pigs.

If I'm walking along the street and somebody attractive walks past me then I am liable to turn my head and look. Am I a pervert? No. Am I a potential rapist? No (although if you asked most feminists they'd probably say yes because apparently now all it takes to be a potential rapist is to have possession of a penis). Am I going to do anything inappropriate or obscene? No. All I'm doing is having a quick look at somebody who is attractive and has put effort into looking good.

These videos all seem to be trying to turn everybody against men by driving home the message that if a man looks at a woman then he's a pervert, if he tries to talk to a woman then he's a pervert, if he makes any comment about a woman then he's a pervert and that quite frankly is a load of complete and utter bull****.
Another thing that never seems to be touched on is why would these guys even say anything if they didnt occassionaly get a favourable responseWhat their hit score is I dont know, but it must happen.
For me it is toe curlingly cringeworthy to approach a woman like that and something I would never do, but not only do women do it to really good looking men, they both do it because the get favourable responses..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
Another thing that never seems to be touched on is why would these guys even say anything if they didnt occassionaly get a favourable response.
For me it is toe curlingly cringeworthy to approach a woman like that and something I would never do, but not only do women do it to really good looking men, they both do it because the get favourable responses now and then.

It might just be me, but I've never seen a woman approach/hit on/make comments (e.g. "hey good looking", "I'm watching that ass" like in the video in OP) to a man in the street.
Well isn't that the whole point of the hijab anyway? They're meant for modesty and to cover up (and after seeing some of the guys and their behaviour in that video I can see why).

I'm not really sure what the point of this video is
The hijab isnt proof of stopping mens wandering eyes btw, it just shows the morals/standards of the wearer.
A red flag if you will showing those men that they stand zero chance of a hit.

I notice that they are all black or hispanic guys again. No comments aboit that? The original film maker ( last weeks one) claimed that white guys did it too but due to sound levels they were edited out. At the time I smelled BS. I supposed they were all edited out of this film too.
Original post by Carpe Vinum
It might just be me, but I've never seen a woman approach/hit on/make comments (e.g. "hey good looking", "I'm watching that ass" like in the video in OP) to a man in the street.

There was one posted earlier in the week.
Three hrs of a good looking hunk walking led to thirty odd comments and come ons from women ( and men)
So not a million miles away in numbers for both cases.
Do you know what, I didnt noticed if the women catcallers were exclusively black/hispanic or white too. I'll haveto see if I can find it again.
HA! This is brilliant

Thanks for sharing, OP
Lol, I bet this sort of thing makes a feminists head explode.

Oppressive religious clothing counters male harrasment.
(edited 9 years ago)
What the hell is wrong with some people? :facepalm2:
Original post by mackemforever
And my point is that all these videos are now doing is repeating the same thing over and over again in slightly different ways, and that what they are saying is something which was already known by everybody.

The other thing that pisses me off about these videos is that the majority of the clips that they show are not harassment, they're not rude, they're not obscene, they're not predatory, and they sure as hell don't show that the people involved have any bad intentions and yet they all try and drive home the message that men are disgusting pigs.

If I'm walking along the street and somebody attractive walks past me then I am liable to turn my head and look. Am I a pervert? No. Am I a potential rapist? No (although if you asked most feminists they'd probably say yes because apparently now all it takes to be a potential rapist is to have possession of a penis). Am I going to do anything inappropriate or obscene? No. All I'm doing is having a quick look at somebody who is attractive and has put effort into looking good.

These videos all seem to be trying to turn everybody against men by driving home the message that if a man looks at a woman then he's a pervert, if he tries to talk to a woman then he's a pervert, if he makes any comment about a woman then he's a pervert and that quite frankly is a load of complete and utter bull****.

Okay I understand the point that you're making, truly and to be quite honest, I agree to an extent

Although, I'm 17, I'm a Muslim and I don't wear the hijab - I, however, still dress very modestly (long sleeves, no shorts etc) and I still get comments like the girl initially did, usually from older males. But, would you agree that when you look at the age gap, it can lead girls like myself to feel somewhat uncomfortable and at times a little vulnerable?

(That does not mean to say that every single male who looks at a girl has awful intentions but we are human, so making an assumption like that is natural.)

I know you said you would turn back to check out (for lack of a better phrase) someone you think is attractive, but would you directly make a comment like some of the guys did? (just out of curiosity)
The only thing this video shows is that there is an awful lot of people out there with far too much free time on their hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I am absolutely not watching a 10 hour youtube video
Why are they showing the guys who just looked at her? Is it a crime to look at someone now? :rolleyes:

I glance/look at attractive women. It's like a reflex. :erm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Theres nothing wrong with a guy making a nice comment, like 'Hey beautiful' or 'You look nice' or even just looking. Those are not done with ill intention and can be nice.
However, following the woman and hitting on her even after she stated shes not interested like one of the guys in the video did, or saying (like in the video) 'I lick pussy* or such comments like that, or things like 'Nice tits love' are not compliments and are harrassment and need to stop.
Original post by YazTheSpaz
Okay I understand the point that you're making, truly and to be quite honest, I agree to an extent

Although, I'm 17, I'm a Muslim and I don't wear the hijab - I, however, still dress very modestly (long sleeves, no shorts etc) and I still get comments like the girl initially did, usually from older males. But, would you agree that when you look at the age gap, it can lead girls like myself to feel somewhat uncomfortable and at times a little vulnerable?

(That does not mean to say that every single male who looks at a girl has awful intentions but we are human, so making an assumption like that is natural.)

I know you said you would turn back to check out (for lack of a better phrase) someone you think is attractive, but would you directly make a comment like some of the guys did? (just out of curiosity)

Lol I just want to comment on your username. Any coincidence with the youtuber?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Why are they showing the guys who just looked at her? Is it a crime to look at someone now? :rolleyes:

I glance/look at attractive women. It's like a reflex. :erm:

You should be in prison

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kabuligirl
Lol I just want to comment on your username. Any coincidence with the youtuber?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOl thanks - sadly no...I'm British through and through
Original post by YazTheSpaz
LOOl thanks - sadly no...I'm British through and through

Have you heard of her though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending