The Student Room Group

How soon can your GP refer you to a mental hospital?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and I want to ask if I can be admitted to a mental hospital, will this be done on the day or is there normally a long waiting list?

I myself have spoken to my Gp about this and for the moment I am having counseling at college and during the vacation period I've if I can have Nhs help which I've been allowed from there I have decided when I meet my ex again I shall contact http://www.grayhealthcare.co.uk
As I don't think I need to be taken away from the community I need help while I'm a part of it as I can hide things from everyone and cope on my own at all times but when love gets involved even for the most normal of people it messes with the psyche I've never had help at the same time as being a part of his life so I've decided when I've seen him I'll actually get proper help like that my mom even said she'd live my grandma for the duration of me having someone see me so that I can really have the full support I need. If I go to a hospital rehab then that will be 28days I don't know if my ex will wait for me but I know he'd not want to be the reason I fail. So I think I may go to a hospital rehab after I've seen him again and then after have help at home I'll have to see what college says as with Grey I'd have help at home they could also see me at college each day or right after they'd be there whenever I needed them and I could still livr a normal life so I feel Grey is the best option as they must havr at least 4hrs 1:1 contact each day and be on call 24hrs a day
I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and I want to ask if I can be admitted to a mental hospital, will this be done on the day or is there normally a long waiting list?

I didn't really want to "jump" into this thread because it really seems over saturated but I think I have a new perspective to add...

OP, I've been where you are now (for the last two-ish years) and when you're like this, you can't make the best decisions about your well being. I know this may make you angry to read, but it really is what you need to hear. And just because this isn't what you want to be told, it doesn't mean that you should ignore it...

...You said that you find your dad in hysterics frightening, do you honestly think that it'd be better for you in a psychiatric hospital?

... I think you're looking (like I sort of still am) for this person to just come along and make life durable again but that person simply doesn't exist

...I've got some tips from my experiences:

-try exercising such as taking an hour's walk in your local park. Feed the ducks, even? I'm sure that'd be tons better for your mental health than being cooped up in A&E for hours on end.
-try mindfulness meditation for 20 minutes every day. I know you mentioned that you tried it before, but if you're this desperate for help, then it's worth a shot as you're already spending vasts amounts of time in A&E.
- eat healthily
- leave the house everyday, perhaps take a walk around your 'block'
- try volunteering, it'll make you feel good about yourself***
- try to get enough sleep (keep away from the TV, computer, your phone; have a bedtime routine; have a shower; take a nice walk beforehand; have a glass of warm milk; make sure your room's completely dark; read something nice beforehand-like Harry Porter?!)
- keep off the internet and social networks- it/they can be soul-sucking :L
- have you asked your GP about local groups like ones for people living with depression and anxiety?
- join an art class, join a drama group, join a local amateur sport club
- just generally be kind to yourself
- take advantage of the Samaritans 24/7 phone line on 08457 90 90 90

All the best for the future,
jess_x :smile::smile:

***of course volunteering is for the good of others first and foremost, but I wanted to stress the benefits of it to the OP
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jess_x
I didn't really want to "jump" into this thread because it really seems over saturated but I think I have a new perspective to add...

OP, I've been where you are now (for the last two-ish years) and when you're like this, you can't make the best decisions about your well being. I know this may make you angry to read, but it really is what you need to hear. And just because this isn't what you want to be told, it doesn't mean that you should ignore it...

...You said that you find your dad in hysterics frightening, do you honestly think that it'd be better for you in a psychiatric hospital?

... I think you're looking (like I sort of still am) for this person to just come along and make life durable again but that person simply doesn't exist

...I've got some tips from my experiences:

-try exercising such as taking an hour's walk in your local park. Feed the ducks, even? I'm sure that'd be tons better for your mental health than being cooped up in A&E for hours on end.
-try mindfulness meditation for 20 minutes every day. I know you mentioned that you tried it before, but if you're this desperate for help, then it's worth a shot as you're already spending vasts amounts of time in A&E.
- eat healthily
- leave the house everyday, perhaps take a walk around your 'block'
- try volunteering, it'll make you feel good about yourself
- try to get enough sleep (keep away from the TV, computer, your phone; have a bedtime routine; have a shower; take a nice walk beforehand; have a glass of warm milk; make sure your room's completely dark; read something nice beforehand-like Harry Porter?!)
- keep off the internet and social networks- it/they can be soul-sucking :L
- have you asked your GP about local groups like ones for people living with depression and anxiety?
- join an art class, join a drama group, join a local amateur sport club
- just generally be kind to yourself
- take advantage of the Samaritans 24/7 phone line on 08457 90 90 90

All the best for the future,
jess_x :smile::smile:

I appreciate you are trying to help but i am way beyond that sort of advice now.
I appreciate you are trying to help but i am way beyond that sort of advice now.

That's exactly how I feel, while I'm doing a lot more than I ever have done e.g: volunteering, open days, student council, calling respect group, getting counselling. I don't feel I need rehab but my ex suggested I be taken out of society for a bit and so if I did that it would be more to prove to him how serious I am about things I totally forgot about the Samaritans group I'll call them time to time as well
No no and no. I cant waste another 10 years going to aene every night, my whole youth will have gone by then and i might as well kill myself if its going to take that long to recover. Care as an outpatient hasnt worked and im not going to waste years like that hoping that a miracle wil happen.

What do you want to do with your youth?? Assuming your mental health problems could be soved tomorrow, what would you do with your life?
Original post by cheeriosarenice
What do you want to do with your youth?? Assuming your mental health problems could be soved tomorrow, what would you do with your life?

I dont know. I just know that one way or another im not spending another ten*years like this.
Original post by Tylerd94
That's exactly how I feel, while I'm doing a lot more than I ever have done e.g: volunteering, open days, student council, calling respect group, getting counselling. I don't feel I need rehab but my ex suggested I be taken out of society for a bit and so if I did that it would be more to prove to him how serious I am about things I totally forgot about the Samaritans group I'll call them time to time as well

Why does your ex want you to go into rehab?? It sounds like youre doing well for yourself, why should you listen to him?
I dont know. I just know that one way or another im not spending another ten*years like this.

Is there nothing at all that you would like to do?
Is there nothing at all that you would like to do?

I already tried a lot of things when i waa better and nothing really stuck. Theres nothing im particularly good at. I just dont want to suffer for the rest of my life.
I already tried a lot of things when i waa better and nothing really stuck. Theres nothing im particularly good at. I just dont want to suffer for the rest of my life.

But what are you going to do when you aren't suffering? At the moment I'm assuming you don't do much other than being consumed by your mental health problems and sitting in A&E.
I dont know.
As ive said im looking to get referred to the priory hospital which is private.
Nobody here understands the severity of my problem. Nobody has had to rot in a hospital waiting room from 10 in the evening to 3 in the morning.

a lot of people here have mental health problems, and have been in AandE waiting, and i know lots of people have beein in a psych unit.
from what you have said i genuinely dont believe a psych unit is what you need and will not benefit you what so ever, so going privately will be a waste of time and money IMO.
it sounds like you suffer from anxiety so you want to be asking for beta blockers or something along those lines.

also as has been said before 2 years and 3 meds is NOT alot in reality. im on my 4th antidepressant in a year and a half, with a few months on each type at different strengths. also you havnt tried them all which i think you previously stated.

going to A&E isnt going to help and neither is going to a psych unit.
Original post by PandaWho
a lot of people here have mental health problems, and have been in AandE waiting, and i know lots of people have beein in a psych unit.
from what you have said i genuinely dont believe a psych unit is what you need and will not benefit you what so ever, so going privately will be a waste of time and money IMO.
it sounds like you suffer from anxiety so you want to be asking for beta blockers or something along those lines.

also as has been said before 2 years and 3 meds is NOT alot in reality. im on my 4th antidepressant in a year and a half, with a few months on each type at different strengths. also you havnt tried them all which i think you previously stated.

going to A&E isnt going to help and neither is going to a psych unit.

I already have beta blockers.

Well then i guess nothing will help.
I already have beta blockers.

Well then i guess nothing will help.

What medication are you on currently?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But what are you going to do when you aren't suffering? At the moment I'm assuming you don't do much other than being consumed by your mental health problems and sitting in A&E.

I dont know. If i ever get better i guess ill find out.
Reply 114

Normally idve thought going to a psychiatric hospital would be a) a last resort and b) something which is forced upon you, certainly not somewhere you would actively ask to be placed - if you do, perhaps you havent weighed it up properly.

If you think its hard to get in, it could be even harder to get out, especially with the way youve been talking on this thread.
Why does your ex want you to go into rehab?? It sounds like youre doing well for yourself, why should you listen to him?

He may have just said it out if fear and anger I'm so happy lately and the main reason is the fact I know I'm not upsetting him anymore and I want to see him again I prove I will only make him happy. The last time we met we got into a pushing and shoving match as he tried to leave which ended with me grabbing his phone when he tried to call someone and hitting him in the head with it (not to hard and not repeatedly) when that happen I apologized immediately and realized I should allow him to call someone and leave my conscious really saw like Wtf Tyler WAKE UP!

After that we said not ti see each other until January then one day he told me to collect my things I drove to get them called him constantly text him loads but to only be ignored ended up sleeping there until I saw him but didn't get out my car to see him when he did walk by I just left it went to his uni thinking maybe I'd bump into him but really onky went there to look at it for myself didn't go to his department or anything then left. We agreed to see each other in January and not talk I left the talking for quite a while then needed to ask him something we ended that talk happily but then we didn't speak for a week or so and I made a fake profile trying to talk to him because he had photos on a site which bugged me as in two years he never showed me those types of photos. Anyway we then agreed again to not talk until the New year when he asked me personally about them and if I talk to him before then it's entirely over. So now I'm putting everything into getting further help only this week started calling places and doing volunteer work counselling I've only had two sessions so far it will take time and he should know and understand that. I don't need rehab at all I think he was just scared I could do far worse but I certainly won't as I recognize my mistake and know why I did what I did I can overcome my past childhood experiences he's been through a lot himself so should be understanding it's just if me going to rehab would help us get back together then I'd remove myself from the community if he woukd really want that
Original post by Tylerd94
He may have just said it out if fear and anger I'm so happy lately and the main reason is the fact I know I'm not upsetting him anymore and I want to see him again I prove I will only make him happy. The last time we met we got into a pushing and shoving match as he tried to leave which ended with me grabbing his phone when he tried to call someone and hitting him in the head with it (not to hard and not repeatedly) when that happen I apologized immediately and realized I should allow him to call someone and leave my conscious really saw like Wtf Tyler WAKE UP!

After that we said not ti see each other until January then one day he told me to collect my things I drove to get them called him constantly text him loads but to only be ignored ended up sleeping there until I saw him but didn't get out my car to see him when he did walk by I just left it went to his uni thinking maybe I'd bump into him but really onky went there to look at it for myself didn't go to his department or anything then left. We agreed to see each other in January and not talk I left the talking for quite a while then needed to ask him something we ended that talk happily but then we didn't speak for a week or so and I made a fake profile trying to talk to him because he had photos on a site which bugged me as in two years he never showed me those types of photos. Anyway we then agreed again to not talk until the New year when he asked me personally about them and if I talk to him before then it's entirely over. So now I'm putting everything into getting further help only this week started calling places and doing volunteer work counselling I've only had two sessions so far it will take time and he should know and understand that. I don't need rehab at all I think he was just scared I could do far worse but I certainly won't as I recognize my mistake and know why I did what I did I can overcome my past childhood experiences he's been through a lot himself so should be understanding it's just if me going to rehab would help us get back together then I'd remove myself from the community if he woukd really want that

It doesn't sound like hes worth it tbh. No one should force you to make a decision like that. And like so many people on here have said to me, if you go into rehab when you dont really need it youre just taking up someone else's space.
Original post by Clez
Normally idve thought going to a psychiatric hospital would be a) a last resort and b) something which is forced upon you, certainly not somewhere you would actively ask to be placed - if you do, perhaps you havent weighed it up properly.

If you think its hard to get in, it could be even harder to get out, especially with the way youve been talking on this thread.

Actually most inpatients in a psychiatric hospital are there on a voluntary basis.
Original post by PandaWho
What medication are you on currently?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ATM just propranolol.
Reply 119
Actually most inpatients in a psychiatric hospital are there on a voluntary basis.

I dont know about that. I wonder how many regret going in.

Im sure it cant be the best place to be unless you are literally a danger to other people.

Quick Reply

Latest