The Student Room Group

How soon can your GP refer you to a mental hospital?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and I want to ask if I can be admitted to a mental hospital, will this be done on the day or is there normally a long waiting list?

Hi! I've been in a pysch ward twice now getting a bed just doesnt happen quickly, took 2 weeks for me but I was seriously poorly, I stayed for 6 months I didn't want to leave to be honest it was my safe haven which can be very dangerous Mental health issues don't just go away OP, I've learnt something very valuable the only person in the end who can make yourself feel better is YOU! You can take all the help medication, but if you arent 100% commited to helping yourself you won't fully get better I've had OCD, social Anxiety & depression for 9 years now, only the last 2 years I've been able to hold down a job, have proper meds treatment plan & lead a relatively normal life its a long journey, I'm studying with the OU, caring for a toddler & I work, I feel awesome and although health professionals have helped me it is me who has done the hard work & got myself feeling better.
Mental health professionals arent there to cure feelings of sadness or anxiety they are there to help you manage those feelings so you can lead a good healthy life.

Some tips,

1. You need to reduce your stress levels, find something you enjoy, walking, cycling, baking
Find coping mechanisms in stressful situations (counting to ten) (thinking it will be OKAY)
self-soothing really helps,

2. A routine helps, getting up everyday having breakfast, showering & changing your clothes

3. Get out of the house

4. Do something that reminds you of how beautiful life can be, I get up before sunrise sometimes go out in the garden and watch the sunrise, it calms me & I feel happier

5. Make a list of the things you want to achieve (goals etc) small and steady

6. DONT TAKE DRUGS OR DRINK EXCESSIVELY, i used to partake in drug taking & drinking it made me a lot more ill, I rarely drink now & only a few.

7. Love can be a great cure, I met my first boyfriend shortly after a stint in the pysch ward at the age of 17, my moods have been pretty stable since being with him and being in a happy relationship it still took me until I was 20 before I felt ready to get a job and be employed.

I cant think of anything else, but PM me if you need any advice.
Original post by vickidc18
Hi! I've been in a pysch ward twice now getting a bed just doesnt happen quickly, took 2 weeks for me but I was seriously poorly, I stayed for 6 months I didn't want to leave to be honest it was my safe haven which can be very dangerous Mental health issues don't just go away OP, I've learnt something very valuable the only person in the end who can make yourself feel better is YOU! You can take all the help medication, but if you arent 100% commited to helping yourself you won't fully get better I've had OCD, social Anxiety & depression for 9 years now, only the last 2 years I've been able to hold down a job, have proper meds treatment plan & lead a relatively normal life its a long journey, I'm studying with the OU, caring for a toddler & I work, I feel awesome and although health professionals have helped me it is me who has done the hard work & got myself feeling better.
Mental health professionals arent there to cure feelings of sadness or anxiety they are there to help you manage those feelings so you can lead a good healthy life.

Some tips,

1. You need to reduce your stress levels, find something you enjoy, walking, cycling, baking
Find coping mechanisms in stressful situations (counting to ten) (thinking it will be OKAY)

2. A routine helps, getting up everyday having breakfast, showering & changing your clothes

3. Get out of the house

4. Do something that reminds you of how beautiful life can be, I get up before sunrise sometimes go out in the garden and watch the sunrise, it calms me & I feel happier

6. DONT TAKE DRUGS OR DRINK EXCESSIVELY, i used to partake in drug taking & drinking it made me a lot more ill, I rarely drink now & only a few.

7. Love can be a great cure, I met my first boyfriend shortly after a stint in the pysch ward at the age of 17, my moods have been pretty stable since being with him and being in a happy relationship it still took me until I was 20 before I felt ready to get a job and be employed.

Thanks.

But ive given up hope now. The man I love is engaged to someone else
Actually most inpatients in a psychiatric hospital are there on a voluntary basis.

Entered on a voluntary basis, yes, but staying there voluntarily? Way less clear cut.

I had a hell of a job convincing the psychiatrist to let me out.
Reply 123
Original post by vickidc18

Some tips,

3. Get out of the house

Great post and so true! Really great stuff in here I learnt myself when recovering also! But you've really well articulated it and reminded me of a lot of things. Thanks!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 124
Thanks.

But ive given up hope now. The man I love is engaged to someone else

Think you missed the point of the post there :smile:. Its not that a bf solves the problem, but it helps because love, helps. Not the posessive love we're conditioned to believe in. Love can be towards anyone,.friends, family, animals :smile:.
Original post by laeof
Think you missed the point of the post there :smile:. Its not that a bf solves the problem, but it helps because love, helps. Not the posessive love we're conditioned to believe in. Love can be towards anyone,.friends, family, animals :smile:.

thanks but it's no use. I don't have anyone.
im glad your advice helped someone else though.
It doesn't sound like hes worth it tbh. No one should force you to make a decision like that. And like so many people on here have said to me, if you go into rehab when you dont really need it youre just taking up someone else's space.

He's worth it to me. He might not ask me to go he may have said it out of anger and fright rather than actually trying to be understanding of what happened knowing that I still love him and that my love became obsession I did what I did because I wanted it to stay and with my Manger leaving, my grandpa dying my mom going away and then him leaving to it got overwhelming I wouldn't have tried to make him stay if I didn't like him I wouldn't obsess over someone I didn't care about. He needs space to think and stop judging me but try to understand and acknowledge the fact I obviously feel bad for what I did I do still love him and he shouldn't be treating me like I'm so psycho he isn't thinking rationally right now but he will be when he sees me again and I doubt he will suggest I need to be taken out of the community I'm not a threat to anybody I never have been. I never wanted to hurt him and he never did me. I wanted him to stay and I stood in his way and when he tried his hardest to leave I saw him as someone givinf up on me letting me down he had no real reason to want to leave the house in the first place we had plans it really hurt me and made me angry I held my anger back for so long and even when I grabbed his phone I wanted to throw it on the floor and smash it not hit him with it. He knows that really am this happy go lucky guy but we did have issues and most of it stems to me not being accepted of my sexuality and taking out the way I felt about myself on him but this thing was down to him being another person leaving me and I didn't want that.
He wants to see me again and that means a lot he thinks highly of me and that I can do well in life we all say things in anger like 'whats wrong with you, get help' but I don't think he really think it's so serious I need a straight jacket
Reply 127
thanks but it's no use. I don't have anyone.
im glad your advice helped someone else though.

Its not a person that is required, or if it is, it doesn't need to in fact be a person you know.

I don't either except a friend now in another country :smile:. But I don't need anyone either. I call myself pretty lucky having a psychopath Dad, and needing to move from place to place as he kept finding us/tracking us down. It taught me not to need attachments. I'm happiest alone :smile:
Original post by Tylerd94
He's worth it to me. He might not ask me to go he may have said it out of anger and fright rather than actually trying to be understanding of what happened knowing that I still love him and that my love became obsession I did what I did because I wanted it to stay and with my Manger leaving, my grandpa dying my mom going away and then him leaving to it got overwhelming I wouldn't have tried to make him stay if I didn't like him I wouldn't obsess over someone I didn't care about. He needs space to think and stop judging me but try to understand and acknowledge the fact I obviously feel bad for what I did I do still love him and he shouldn't be treating me like I'm so psycho he isn't thinking rationally right now but he will be when he sees me again and I doubt he will suggest I need to be taken out of the community I'm not a threat to anybody I never have been. I never wanted to hurt him and he never did me. I wanted him to stay and I stood in his way and when he tried his hardest to leave I saw him as someone givinf up on me letting me down he had no real reason to want to leave the house in the first place we had plans it really hurt me and made me angry I held my anger back for so long and even when I grabbed his phone I wanted to throw it on the floor and smash it not hit him with it. He knows that really am this happy go lucky guy but we did have issues and most of it stems to me not being accepted of my sexuality and taking out the way I felt about myself on him but this thing was down to him being another person leaving me and I didn't want that.
He wants to see me again and that means a lot he thinks highly of me and that I can do well in life we all say things in anger like 'whats wrong with you, get help' but I don't think he really think it's so serious I need a straight jacket

ok well best of luck then. I would have liked to know how it feels to be loved like that. now it will never happen.
Original post by laeof
Its not a person that is required, or if it is, it doesn't need to in fact be a person you know.

I don't either except a friend now in another country :smile:. But I don't need anyone either. I call myself pretty lucky having a psychopath Dad, and needing to move from place to place as he kept finding us/tracking us down. It taught me not to need attachments. I'm happiest alone :smile:

it's funny you should say that. what do you mean exactly but "it doesn't have to be a person you know?".
Reply 130
Original post by Sabertooth
Entered on a voluntary basis, yes, but staying there voluntarily? Way less clear cut.

I think one you voluntarily go in, you're under their care? I.e you can't voluntarily leave because you've handed over the decisions to the dr?
Original post by laeof
I think one you voluntarily go in, you're under their care? I.e you can't voluntarily leave because you've handed over the decisions to the dr?

that's not true, you're free to leave whenever you want.

can you answer my question?
because there seems to be a lot of ignorance on this topic:

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/guide/mental-health/Pages/Mentalhealth.aspx
ok well best of luck then. I would have liked to know how it feels to be loved like that. now it will never happen.

There is no reason at all you can't have a love like that you'll find someone special in my heart if hearts I feel like I've truly found the one but if that's not right then fair enough I'll find him or her all I know is that if I got help much sooner we wouldn't be hear and the same goes with if he got help then he wouldn't of snapped at me over the smallest of things like even shouting at him would trigger memories of his father and well everyone shouts now and then so he should get help with that although I very rarely ever will shout I think I only did it once and that was because of literally having no sleep or anything to eat and had to take him to college so really wasn't myself that day but it really affected him and it was only over him talking about a license plate ans I went 'NO IT'S PERSONALIZED! Or something and he totally freaked out on me' i only shouted for a split second and he went ballistic and since then he had shoutes at me in an argument for a good 5 minutes so very hypocritical but it didn't bother me as I've always expected shouting someone will shout at you no matter what in work, college, relationship people get frustrated and they shout so he should get help if he can't handle people shouting our major issue was trust he was cheated on and yet he trusted me morw than I him or atleast showed he did and hid any worries whereas me the kid always let down would constantly think he would at somepoint I'd say things like 'You WILL meet someone else' he would always get so angry when I'd say things like that which he never should have done he should of either reassured me that would never happen or ask why I felt that way. It had nothing to do with him why I felt like that and he shouldn't of felt as though I thought little of him and that he'd ever hurt me because I know the thing's he'd never do to hurt me I felt that way because he was and is so incredible that I couldn't help someone as amazing as him would leave me one day I couldn't accept that he truly loved me that he had chosen me but if he's that amazing then it's something I need to accept and trust rather than push him away thinking 'well he's gonna leave me one day might as well make it today' I'd ask stupid questions and I knew they were stupid but I needed them answered and again he'd get angry rather than try to talk to me.

Nevertheless I'm an adult and I was expecting him to treat me like a child and he didn't want that so rather than treat me like and adult or a child he just treated me like something he couldn't understand or comprehend instead he judged me for every single action I made with space he'll try to understand instead and when we meet again ask anything he is unsure about. I'll have the help I need and show him I'm the person he wants
I don't think it will be done on the day, unless you are in real danger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No i wont because hopefully i will have learnt that nothing terrible will happen of im not investigated by a doctor every night, which they wouldn't do in a mental unit.
If i had the mental strength i wouldnt be mentally ill.

I'm pretty sure you said they're not testing you anymore anyway? And it wont help, mental illnesses relapse and without the skills to combat it alone you will relapse... plus you'd be a voluntary patient so could just discharge yourself and go to A&E whenever you fancied

that is really not how it works as every single person on this thread can tell you... nothing can just cure you of a mental illness, the reason they are so difficult to treat is because the person has to conquer it themselves and not engage in behaviours and ignore their thoughts which is the hardest thing to do... I was mentally ill, I'm not better right now because someone cured me I'm better because I forced myself to do what felt impossible over and over again until it started to feel manageable, you cannot recover with such a passive attitude, you are blaming doctors not helping for your sickness and saying you can't do anything about it - you have to realise YOU are the only one who can change things and nothing will change until you make it do so
Original post by Sabertooth

I'd imagine there are a lot of cases similar to mines: you're asked politely to go into hospital, but with the threat of being sectioned hovering in the back of your mind. Being sectioned can screw you over for various careers later in life (it shows up on some DBS checks), and might make your hospital stay longer than if you went in voluntarily.

As for staying in hospital, I expect the same often applies: you're free to leave so long as you don't try to leave! :tongue:
Original post by superwolf
I'd imagine there are a lot of cases similar to mines: you're asked politely to go into hospital, but with the threat of being sectioned hovering in the back of your mind. Being sectioned can screw you over for various careers later in life (it shows up on some DBS checks), and might make your hospital stay longer than if you went in voluntarily.

As for staying in hospital, I expect the same often applies: you're free to leave so long as you don't try to leave! :tongue:

Exactly this. Once when I was a voluntary patient they made me sign a "contract" saying I would take all my meds and not leave the ward...

Being informal means pretty much nothing most of the time, once you're in, they won't want you to leave, and if you try to, you get put on a doctors holding section...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
As a Coach and someone who genuinely cares and has been through it also. I hope you find everything you need for a safer and happier life.

The environment we are in (the people around us) hugely... massively.. impacts our thought processes and therefore our behaviours (see Robert Dylts logical levels if you'd like further understanding).

Once your environment is more settled you can begin to work on your thought processes. You can begin to literally change your mind for the better (this is what I did). There are techniques out there that totally work. Our brains are pliable and open to so much change.

Keep going, be determined, there is hope.
Original post by bullettheory
Exactly this. Once when I was a voluntary patient they made me sign a "contract" saying I would take all my meds and not leave the ward...

Being informal means pretty much nothing most of the time, once you're in, they won't want you to leave, and if you try to, you get put on a doctors holding section...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A choice under duress is no choice at all...

Quick Reply

Latest