The Student Room Group

Geography A2 Edexcel Unit 3 HELP

Just wondering if there is anyone who has done/is doing Geography A2 for edexcel. For Unit 3 we are advised to revise 3/6 topics and for those 3 does anyone know the easiest I could chose in terms of revision and the type of questions that come up or the question that you did in the exam.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hey there!

I have gone through all of this and achieved an A in my Geography A-level and I would love to help as much as I can!

Myself I revised Biodiversity, Energy Security and Water, while in the exam I answered stuff on Energy Security and Water.

If you have any questions just ask.
Original post by Lee17
Hey there!

I have gone through all of this and achieved an A in my Geography A-level and I would love to help as much as I can!

Myself I revised Biodiversity, Energy Security and Water, while in the exam I answered stuff on Energy Security and Water.

If you have any questions just ask.

Hi,

Do you have any revision material/ notes I can use because I feel like there is so much content and I don't even know where to start for my mock test revision.
Reply 4
Original post by beckysoya
Hi,

Do you have any revision material/ notes I can use because I feel like there is so much content and I don't even know where to start for my mock test revision.

In my excitment of getting my grades I kinda threw my notes haha.

All I can say is that making detailed notes, then, making flash cards which condense the important information you needed really helps.

Make detailed notes for all the topics but have some idea in what THREE topics you want to focus your revision on. Make sure its something you are interested in an know somewhat in good detail about.
Original post by Lee17
In my excitment of getting my grades I kinda threw my notes haha.

All I can say is that making detailed notes, then, making flash cards which condense the important information you needed really helps.

Make detailed notes for all the topics but have some idea in what THREE topics you want to focus your revision on. Make sure its something you are interested in an know somewhat in good detail about.

Hi,

II'm a bit unsure of the superpower theories (Wallerstein, Dependency, and Rostow) Can you please explain it to me. THanks :smile: Also I'm unsure of the USA and USSR rise in superpower.
Original post by iceangel8
Just wondering if there is anyone who has done/is doing Geography A2 for edexcel. For Unit 3 we are advised to revise 3/6 topics and for those 3 does anyone know the easiest I could chose in terms of revision and the type of questions that come up or the question that you did in the exam.

I personally find water, superpowers and energy the easiest
technology fix can be incorporated in all the 5 units
in terms of what type of questions can come, look at past papers from previous years and see which questions come up the most or if there is a pattern
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by umimstuck
I personally find water, superpowers and energy the easiest
technology fix can be incorporated in all the 5 units
in terms of what type of questions can come, look at past papers from previous years and see which questions come up the most or if there is a pattern

Awesome thanks! What do you mean by the technology fix thing? I guess it links to all the topics but surely it's its own unit
Reply 8
Hi,

II'm a bit unsure of the superpower theories (Wallerstein, Dependency, and Rostow) Can you please explain it to me. THanks :smile: Also I'm unsure of the USA and USSR rise in superpower.

Hey there!

Honestly I never revised or focused much on Superpowers, so I don't really know or remember the Wallerstein or Rostow theories. Couldn't the Dependency theory be where other countries are dependant on another more powerful country?

Also for the rise of USA and USSR as supoerpowers I am sure you can think of the ofverous ones like:
USA is a, Economic Superpower, Military Superpower and also a political Superpower.
USSR was a, Military Superpower etc.

Watch some of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVzHK4Ih1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hiGENht74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoBgEnlMdR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYxyJzPM_8
They may be old but there are all right.

Also finding other videos on Youtube or documentaries on superpowers will be a good revision source.

You could also bring in the idea of that come unions like the EU could be a superpower because together they make a large military superpower and economics superpower. But they have no single Armed Forces nor a defence policy... yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Awesome thanks! What do you mean by the technology fix thing? I guess it links to all the topics but surely it's its own unit

Yeah its like a synoptic unit, you can link the other 5 units to it, especially with water and energy to look into the futures and how technology can help create energy secure countries :smile:
Original post by Lee17
Hey there!

Honestly I never revised or focused much on Superpowers, so I don't really know or remember the Wallerstein or Rostow theories. Couldn't the Dependency theory be where other countries are dependant on another more powerful country?

Also for the rise of USA and USSR as supoerpowers I am sure you can think of the ofverous ones like:
USA is a, Economic Superpower, Military Superpower and also a political Superpower.
USSR was a, Military Superpower etc.

Watch some of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVzHK4Ih1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8hiGENht74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoBgEnlMdR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYxyJzPM_8
They may be old but there are all right.

Also finding other videos on Youtube or documentaries on superpowers will be a good revision source.

You could also bring in the idea of that come unions like the EU could be a superpower because together they make a large military superpower and economics superpower. But they have no single Armed Forces nor a defence policy... yet.

Thank you sooo much :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thank you sooo much :biggrin:

No problem, wish I could have been of more help.
Reply 12
If anyone needs any help with Biodiversity, Energy Security and Water, just ask. :smile:
I might even be able to give some sources from my old college Moodel for it.

But I can give general help, general information, and help with the synoptic in an analytical sense.
Original post by Lee17
If anyone needs any help with Biodiversity, Energy Security and Water, just ask. :smile:

But I can give general help, general information, and help with the synoptic in an analytical sense.

Sorry, I have another question. I'm quite confused with the Colorado river. In the exam if it asks for california water supply- do I just write about the Colorado river ( as that is the main case study).
Yes please, can I take a look at the sources.
Thank you so much.
Reply 14
Sorry, I have another question. I'm quite confused with the Colorado river. In the exam if it asks for california water supply- do I just write about the Colorado river ( as that is the main case study).
Yes please, can I take a look at the sources.
Thank you so much.

Colorado River Basin you mean.
Yes you should stick to the case study, but remember it runs through many different states and also the USA-Mexico border (thus making it tarns-boundary).
Of course not only the Colorado basin, possibly bring it a growing population and and, possibly (don't have to) bring in Owens Valley, on how that was used and lasted only 10 years etc.

It may be very unlikely that they will be that specific with a question. Maybe "how tarns-boundary water supply's can cause conflict" which you would bring in the Colorado River basin, bring in different states, Mexico and North California-South California conflict, Israel vs. Jordan, Syric in the Six Day War, etc etc.

I will get the resouces when I am back home this weekend (as my username is on my Stu ID card lol)
Original post by Lee17
Colorado River Basin you mean.
Yes you should stick to the case study, but remember it runs through many different states and also the USA-Mexico border (thus making it tarns-boundary).
Of course not only the Colorado basin, possibly bring it a growing population and and, possibly (don't have to) bring in Owens Valley, on how that was used and lasted only 10 years etc.

It may be very unlikely that they will be that specific with a question. Maybe "how tarns-boundary water supply's can cause conflict" which you would bring in the Colorado River basin, bring in different states, Mexico and North California-South California conflict, Israel vs. Jordan, Syric in the Six Day War, etc etc.

I will get the resouces when I am back home this weekend (as my username is on my Stu ID card lol)

Honestly thank you so much :smile:

I'd say Water Conflicts and Superpower Geographies are easiest. Or maybe bridging the development gap instead of water.
Reply 17
Original post by Lee17

Please... help with the Synoptic! I don't where to even start with it.. I have my mock of it tomorrow on the 2012 one about Water Conflicts.... know nothing!

omg leave the poor boy/girl alone iceangel enough with all the questions
Reply 19
Original post by EOZ123
Please... help with the Synoptic! I don't where to even start with it.. I have my mock of it tomorrow on the 2012 one about Water Conflicts.... know nothing!

Hey! Sorry didn't see this.

How'd the Mock go?

Anyway, the synoptic I haven't seen it yet, is it up on the edexcel page?

Tips which I used:
- Read through the paper (Duhhh)
- Underline words/parts/sections which are important
- Put little notes around a section you know a small case study for (e.g. Africa has tectonic activity which reduces development (my note: Rift Valley)
- Watch some videos on the area the paper is talking about (youtube)
- Do some news research, old news is fine. If you can find newer stories linked in with this the that would be even better

Quick Reply