The Student Room Group

Getting an A* in IAL edexcel

I am very confused about this A level grading system. I am talking about for Bio and Chem btw. So I thought you need 90% across all AS and A2 to get an A* which would be ums 540/600. But when I searched up on google, it said, 80% in AS and 90% in A2 units. So 80% is ums 240 and 90% is ums 270. So when you add them, you only get ums 510/600. So is it like as long as you get A in AS and 90% in A2, it's an A*? Someone pls help me out. I've never been this confused in my entire life.
Original post by Erickim000
I am very confused about this A level grading system. I am talking about for Bio and Chem btw. So I thought you need 90% across all AS and A2 to get an A* which would be ums 540/600. But when I searched up on google, it said, 80% in AS and 90% in A2 units. So 80% is ums 240 and 90% is ums 270. So when you add them, you only get ums 510/600. So is it like as long as you get A in AS and 90% in A2, it's an A*? Someone pls help me out. I've never been this confused in my entire life.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/understanding-your-results-information-for-students/edexcel-international-advanced-level-results-explained.html

You need at least 480 UMS overall, and at least 90% UMS for A2 units. That means the AS can be as bad as 60%, but if you get 100% in A2 you can still get an A*.
Reply 2
hi.may I clarify 90% UMS for A2 doesn't equal to 90% of raw marks,am I correct?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by jobb11
hi.may I clarify 90% UMS for A2 doesn't equal to 90% of raw marks,am I correct?

Yes they are different

90% UMS is just the scaling applied

Quick Reply

Latest