The Student Room Group

Geography A2 Edexcel Unit 3 HELP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
In class we do questions from the Zigzag booklet as mocks I keep getting low grades and I am finding the section A questions and figures really hard however when I do past paper questions I don't seem to be having these problems and I am getting high grades on section A it is me or are the questions from the zigzag booklet really hard?
Original post by samsu
In class we do questions from the Zigzag booklet as mocks I keep getting low grades and I am finding the section A questions and figures really hard however when I do past paper questions I don't seem to be having these problems and I am getting high grades on section A it is me or are the questions from the zigzag booklet really hard?

I've not used the zigzag booklet, give us an example of an question from it
Reply 582
Original post by umimstuck
I've not used the zigzag booklet, give us an example of an question from it

My teacher has my paper hopefully I will get it back by Monday and i'll give some examples, it may be the case that im personally finding it hard but i'll still try posting it
Original post by samsu
My teacher has my paper hopefully I will get it back by Monday and i'll give some examples, it may be the case that im personally finding it hard but i'll still try posting it

What's a ziagzag booklet
Reply 584
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
What's a ziagzag booklet

Yeah what is it? And is it a useful resource?
Original post by lx477
Yeah what is it? And is it a useful resource?

What is a parellel resource/case study btw
Reply 586
What is a parellel resource/case study btw

To my knowledge it's a case study that can be used in both Section A and the synoptic, or maybe that's just being synoptic? I understand it as a case study from eg. Energy security (Exxon Valdez oil spill) and then applying it to the Arctic (impact on biodiversity). Could be wrong
Original post by lx477
To my knowledge it's a case study that can be used in both Section A and the synoptic, or maybe that's just being synoptic? I understand it as a case study from eg. Energy security (Exxon Valdez oil spill) and then applying it to the Arctic (impact on biodiversity). Could be wrong

No. A parallel case study is the Antarctica. U can compare this southern icy region with the northern icy region of the Arctic :smile:
U can compare the management strategies I.e Antarctica treaty vs the Arctic global sanctuary who "envisage an Antarctic style treaty agreement to leave this area untouched" (figure 9) and other strategies like the rest of figure 9... Business as usual and Arctic framework :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruby_1696
No. A parallel case study is the Antarctica. U can compare this southern icy region with the northern icy region of the Arctic :smile:
U can compare the management strategies I.e Antarctica treaty vs the Arctic global sanctuary who "envisage an Antarctic style treaty agreement to leave this area untouched" (figure 9) and other strategies like the rest of figure 9... Business as usual and Arctic framework :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I use a case study from Biodiversity, that's parallel?
man this is all confusing
So if I use a case study from Biodiversity, that's parallel?
man this is all confusing

That's legit the only parallel case study I'm aware of. And I would only use this in section B of unit 3. It's simply a case study to compare the Arctic to.

Environmentalists like Greenpeace want the same management strategies occurring in the Antarctica to occur in the Arctic to help preserve the fragile environment and biodiversity :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's legit the only parallel case study I'm aware of. And I would only use this in section B of unit 3. It's simply a case study to compare the Arctic to.

Environmentalists like Greenpeace want the same management strategies occurring in the Antarctica to occur in the Arctic to help preserve the fragile environment and biodiversity :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough.
I'll go learn all the case studies for biodiversity
Reply 591

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my bad. I think I just described being synoptic hahah
Original post by lx477

No worries haha. At first I didn't know what the hell it meant too :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know where to find some good resources to help me with this unit, particularly the biodiversity section.

Original post by lx477
No you are right the oil spills are parallel case studies, other examples include the suez and panama canals for shipping routes and alien species, project campfire for big game hunting, great barrier reef in australia, collapse of the cod industry in canada, antarctica, galapagos island for tourism etc. theres loads
(edited 8 years ago)
I hope this makes sense...

If a question is talking about "Local, Regional, and Global" issues/opportunities for the arctic who are the 'regional' people?
Would they be the countries that are part of the arctic council??
Original post by ThatGirlx
Some dumb questions on biodiversity but I don't understand the difference between latitude and altitude ._.

And also.. What is thermohaline circulation.. I think that's what its called

Posted from TSR Mobile

Altitude is the height of an object or point in relation to sea level or ground level (source: Google)

Latitude is the angular distance of any object from the equator measured in degrees. The angular distance from the equator to itself is 0, thus the latitude at the equator is 0 °. If we move either up or down from the equator, our distance increases, and so does our angle to it. Eventually we reach either the North or South Pole. Standing on the these poles, places us at exactly a 90 ° angle to the equator.

The picture will make more sense for Latitude :smile:

Thermohaline is a current that transfers warm water in the sea to the North Atlantic sea (near the Arctic) depending on the salinity of the water which indicates the density. So for example, hot water is light and floats to the top(low density) compared to cold water which is the opposite (high density). All in all the water with the low density is able to move freely (thanks to the wind).

So now linking this to the Arctic basically the increase in climate change is increasing the ice melt, thus an increase in the injection of freshwater in to the ocean. This mixes with the sea water which has high salinity (high density) thus it falls beneath the warm water that is entering the Arctic region (from the Thermohaline current). All in all, there will be an increase in the fishes and other marine flora and fauna, as countless species use the Thermaholine current as a means of transport (most of them will come from lower latitudes). Also the temperature of the Arctic isn't so harsh for them as it used to be, thus alien species, which can have an impact on the ecology of the Arctic biodiversity.

Hope this makes sense... There is a video that will explain Thermohaline current... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGrBhK2c7U

To get high marks for this, you need to give examples of invasive species that could possibly be able to live in the Arctic due to the warm waters.
Does anyone know any INVASIVE SPECIES that will be able to live in the Arctic???????????????

???????????????????????????????????????
Original post by mr.cool09
Does anyone know any INVASIVE SPECIES that will be able to live in the Arctic???????????????

???????????????????????????????????????

Crap more work now, lol, nothing yet.
There's too many figures and facts to learn :/ now I have to find this too to earn high marks ffs
Crap more work now, lol, nothing yet.
There's too many figures and facts to learn :/ now I have to find this too to earn high marks ffs

lol yhhhhhhhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending