The Student Room Group

Geography A2 Edexcel Unit 3 HELP

Scroll to see replies

Heyyyy

Does anyone have any notes on the management schemes like the advantages and disadvantages, cuz i have tried to look for stuff but legit cant find anything!!!
Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanksssss
Reply 781
Original post by Niall_18
Would you reckon it will be ok to use Tar Sands in Canada as a parrallel example? Just as the extraction of tar sands is damaging local biodiversity, so too would the extraction of oil from the Arctic etc- further linking it to the race for new resources (energy security)

Yes as it is also an ecological disaster from exploiting the area for resources, also use an example of a spill, perhaps the gulf spill
In a question asking about the role of different players in determining the future management of the Arctic region, should we reference all 3 management strategies?

thanks
Can someone explain the parallel case study for the Galapagos Islands? We were never told about parallel case studies...
Original post by himalgrg587
Can someone explain the parallel case study for the Galapagos Islands? We were never told about parallel case studies...

As tourism continues to grow in the Arctic, Arctic states can copy what the government of the galapagos islands is doing to help promote growth from tourism whilst sustainably managing biodiversity:
The Galapagos Islands represent a place in the world were ECOTOURISM takes place. This is environmentally friendly tourism where the people involved seek to protect the environment as much as possible and to allow for some level of education as well. In many cases of ecotourism, some of the profits go back into protecting the environment and the tourism is small scale, with low visitor number densities and environmental approaches to accommodation and food. For example, I have stayed in an ecotourism lodge in Puerto Maldonado in Peru, where tours of the Amazon forest take place for tourists staying in small wooden huts there is limited electricity and waste is dealt with on site, and the food at the resort is sourced locally. The Galapagos are run along these lines because;Tourists visit under strict rulesThey can only visit on small ships of 10 to 16 tourists, most of which are owned by local peopleThe tourists can only visit a limited number of places on the Islands, thus protecting the rest of the IslandsThe tourists are only allowed to visit in small numbers.Visitors also receive information on how to conserve the Islands prior to their departure to the Islands.They also have to pay a £25 fee to promote conservation on the Islands

http://www.coolgeography.co.uk/GCSE/AQA/Tourism/Sustainable/Case%20study%20Sust%20Tourism.htm
how do you guys think youc ould answer this susperpower question?

assess the conflicting views of the rise of global cultural dominance by the west and ways some players work to undermine this
Original post by Jon96
Yes as it is also an ecological disaster from exploiting the area for resources, also use an example of a spill, perhaps the gulf spill

Will use the Exxon Valdez oil spill mate
Original post by KieranH1997
As tourism continues to grow in the Arctic, Arctic states can copy what the government of the galapagos islands is doing to help promote growth from tourism whilst sustainably managing biodiversity:
The Galapagos Islands represent a place in the world were ECOTOURISM takes place. This is environmentally friendly tourism where the people involved seek to protect the environment as much as possible and to allow for some level of education as well. In many cases of ecotourism, some of the profits go back into protecting the environment and the tourism is small scale, with low visitor number densities and environmental approaches to accommodation and food. For example, I have stayed in an ecotourism lodge in Puerto Maldonado in Peru, where tours of the Amazon forest take place for tourists staying in small wooden huts there is limited electricity and waste is dealt with on site, and the food at the resort is sourced locally. The Galapagos are run along these lines because;Tourists visit under strict rulesThey can only visit on small ships of 10 to 16 tourists, most of which are owned by local peopleThe tourists can only visit a limited number of places on the Islands, thus protecting the rest of the IslandsThe tourists are only allowed to visit in small numbers.Visitors also receive information on how to conserve the Islands prior to their departure to the Islands.They also have to pay a £25 fee to promote conservation on the Islands

http://www.coolgeography.co.uk/GCSE/AQA/Tourism/Sustainable/Case%20study%20Sust%20Tourism.htm

Thank you so much! How many of these parallel/synoptic links would you recommend I make to get the top marks? And do you have to give a source?

I feel so unprepared for this exam :/
Judging by the level of productivity in this thread everyone will get As and A*s!

Also - grade boundaries for Unit 3 tend to be low - 72 out of 90 for A* is not bad at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hody421
Judging by the level of productivity in this thread everyone will get As and A*s!

Also - grade boundaries for Unit 3 tend to be low - 72 out of 90 for A* is not bad at all.

not me, idk wtf is going on

i cant answer the 15 markers for some reason
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
not me, idk wtf is going on

i cant answer the 15 markers for some reason

I recommend starting from the Edexcel book - there are 16 pages per section in this unit. This helps to build a knowledge base and a foundation for your learning.

Then research for relevant up-to-date case studies. Read the examiner's report for exemplar answers and the mark scheme too.

Actively think case studies and tailor your learning to you - I don't see why you won't get an A or more
Original post by Hody421
I recommend starting from the Edexcel book - there are 16 pages per section in this unit. This helps to build a knowledge base and a foundation for your learning.

Then research for relevant up-to-date case studies. Read the examiner's report for exemplar answers and the mark scheme too.

Actively think case studies and tailor your learning to you - I don't see why you won't get an A or more

I've learnt the whole green edexcel text book and the case studies. That's all. I haven't used any other source tbh.

I feel like I should've used another book :/ im pissed.
Original post by alvelm1234
how do you guys think youc ould answer this susperpower question?

assess the conflicting views of the rise of global cultural dominance by the west and ways some players work to undermine this

Let me know if someone answers this man ?
Original post by Archie baker
Let me know if someone answers this man ?

tweeted my teacher out of desperation haha, think i would do it osmething like this

global cultural dominance is the existence of a unipolar world where today, western consumerism has spread throughout the globe. due to globalisation and the increased interdependence of nations, the spread of western cultures has sped up causing a rise in tensions from opposing players who wish to exert influence on the global stage. culteral hegemony has resulted in the view that western democracies are the desired political structure however many oppose such a view and therefore have fulled anti west conflict.
1) anti consumerist movements eg soviet union against the US and attempted spread of communism was fuelled to gain dominance over the USA on global stage. the clash of such communist ideology resulted in a 45 year long cold war with the development of atomic and nuclear bombs, however no actual military action against the 2. this is an example of how communists greatly opposed mass consumerism and favoured a fairer system.
2) another conflicting view against the current cultural hegemony is the rise of extremists.. spread of western culture has fuelled radical movements against the west especially after the 2 gulf wars esp 10 year iraq war which could arguably be due to need to secure oil supplies for US. (TBH i dont really like this one so prob would keep as minimal as possible but my teacher said it was good to include) clash between islamophobia and western culture has resulted in increased futility. eg. isis and al quaeda.
not only non western members against this cultural dominance, the westboro baptist church are an example of US citizens against the spread of western practices and attempting to spread traditional christian values against the US (eg. military and so on)
3) RISE OF BRICS - wanting a multipolar world instead of dominant by USA. eg. g77 without america, increased trade deals and 'silk routes' to try and gain independence. China acting as global bank against US wishes to countries it has sanctioned (eg?) providing aid eg. brazil $4bn which increases relationships with other countries and can also increase dependence on these members. UNSC veto power (russia and china along wth USA) -
4)environmentalists and other ngos are another example of rising conflicting views on the spread of western mass consumerism. against such political ideology as little emphasis on enviro conservation and depletion of natural resources etc. therefore a clash and increased encouragement for renewables eg.UK
CONCLUSION: capitalism is increasingly critisised and many feel goes against intrinsic value of other nations and oppose western culture as corrupt in nature and based on the exploitation of not only our commodities but also the foundations of political systems.

corrupt governments and civil war (link to BDG unit), human rights activists (links to exploitation through globalisation) ?????? not sure how to link this one but my teacher said to maybe include it.. can anyone do it better than i have? only a rough one just tried to answer it now but not sure really..... heelllppppp
To those of us who are planning on doing energy, I strongly believe that a question on players or conflicts will come up
Original post by hajs
Thank you for sharing.
pigs! 😡 as geography students it is our job to stop this!
Yes for the love of god! Someone please help us!
Original post by tiejazz
Heyyyy

Does anyone have any notes on the management schemes like the advantages and disadvantages, cuz i have tried to look for stuff but legit cant find anything!!!
Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanksssss
What are the physical factors affecting biodiversity, can it be good and bad?
Original post by Archie baker
Other than there being natural disasters , all the factors result from human actions

ERR what?? The physical factors affecting biodiversity in the arctic, its not just natural disasters is it?
Thats not enough points to talk about lol
Mr Cool you are awesome and credit for this (sorry I literally had to copy and paste your answer cus I'm on the iPad and didn't wanna go back to the end of the thread when I was browsing it) but I saw a lot of people stuck with advantages and disadvantages of the 3 approaches and your comment from a while back is really helpful :smile: so here I quote it:

Business as usual- there is potential for conflict... as each countries set their own rules up (e.g. fish quotas)... some countries might over fish or not demand sustainable methods. -there is likely to be 8 national governments... Do you think they will be lovey dovey? Do you think they are going to listen to each other? There is potential for conflict to arise as they fight over, who owns which land. -agreements might be made to extract certain amounts of oil/gas, however other countries may find themselves extracting a tad bit more then the others... conflict to arise.Arctic framework-They could use Arctic Council to manage the Arctic. Create a treaty based policy just like it was created in Antarctic. So no one can exploit the Arctic for oil etc..-May work in favour for some countries (USA)-The Arctic Council are able to work with the indigenous people, in what they think the Arctic council should do.Arctic Global Sanctuary- This is total protection from oil drilling. -thus protects habitats and saves the risk of Arctic from being exploited (it has been said Shell have been given the 'go ahead!' by Obama, 75% risk of an oil spill)-Will stop the increase in climate change... due to TNC's not allowed to exploit it.-protects fishes from being over exploited... as it is likely when the ice melts... there will be an increase in commercial fishing by big organisations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending