The Student Room Group

Geography A2 Edexcel Unit 3 HELP

Scroll to see replies

does anyone mind marking these question I've attempted ?
Original post by ahmedghon
can anyone give me examples where there's cooperation between countries for energy security?

Pipelines between different countries and regions such as ESPO
Russia and Europe
Nabucco Pipeline between turkey and Austria

Different gas pipelines between countries (Russia and Europe again)
Original post by s234590
i have a strong feeling that for the topic bridging the development gap something to do with trade and investment might come up for part b - has never come up before :frown:

That'd be lovely... we'd be able to talk about the role of IGOs like the World Bank, World Trade Organisation, International Monetary Fund etc. in relation to the poverty cycle (vicious and virtuous) and FDI (foreign direct investment) - the way it provides a short term economic boost to bridge the gap, but does not in the long term encourage independent economic growth. It's also a form of tied aid which limits development, furthering the underdevelopment of nations, which allows America to maintain its superpower status, as per the Dependency Theory.

You've also got the role of NGOs, such as World Renew (previously the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee) operating in Ethiopia, providing local communities with micro-loans and donations to boost the community's economy and standard of living, bridging the gap between the richest and poorest in society. Also, skills training (education) is provided to boost employment opportunities, with alternative farming methods being taught to encourage self-sufficiency in generating financial capital, and counselling services to provide healthcare. This is a long-term solution and helps the local people directly, eliminating the potential for corruption that can be experienced with major loans from IGOs that are given to corrupt governments, such as that of Zimbabwe.

You can talk about the disparity in financial capital relating to trade. For example, political unions and trade agreements such as NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) and the European Union act as a common market, reducing tariffs and giving greater benefits for member states, encouraging deregulation, privatisation and the greater acceptance of Capitalism and the neo-liberal philosophy that seeks to make the richer richer, and the poor poorer. Non-member states such as those in Africa (Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia etc.) seek to involve themselves in international trade but find themselves unable to compete due to these trade blocs.

Edit - TNCs also help to bridge the gap by providing employment (McDonald's in African nations/Nike in India), investment in relevant industries and higher wages. They encourage competitiveness, but limit the ability of local communities to dictate prices as the TNC is stronger and more powerful, selling their products at a far cheaper price, which can eliminate many small localised businesses. On the other hand, the TNC can also be seen as an exploitative entity, seeking to maximise profits by outsourcing their business to these less developed countries. They usually pay their workers the bare minimum and generally do not adhere to Fair Trade practices, although this is beginning to change, and will continue to do so in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by james.pavey
Here are some questions if your stuck..

a) Explain the impact climate change has on the Arctic region
a) Explain the contributions humans have had on the deterioration of the Arctic
a) Explain the importance of biodiversity in the Arctic region

b) Assess the economic, political and environmental importance of the Arctic region
b) Evaluate the impact of melting sea ice on the exploitation/ exploration of the Arctic
b) Evaluate the costs and benefits of developing industry in the Arctic

c) Study the 3 options in figure 9, assess their possible impact on the future of the Arctic
c) Study the 3 options in figure 9, assess the advantages and disadvantages of each one
c) Examine the management approaches shown in figure 9, assess the contribution they may make to a more sustainable future for the Arctic.

do you have any model answers written by any chance? (or anyone?!)
Original post by Hody421
I am telling you - you will get an A*. Anyways, I have another question:

How do you apply theoretical frameworks such as dependency theory and worlds systems theory in superpowers? Like changes in patterns of superpower status or maintenance power?

Dependency Theory directly relates to colonial, or neo-colonial rule (Britain and India pre-WW2/China and Angola since the 1980s) and can be applied to today's uni-polar world in that America dominates culturally and economically over many countries (TNC outsourcing and IGO loans - tied aid)
World Systems Theory expands upon Dependency Theory in that it specifically makes reference to 'semi-periphery' of nations that contain elements of the core and periphery (so basically BRICs), acknowledging their influence over the periphery. This can be related to the movement from a uni-polar world, to a multi-polar one, with many potential superpowers currently emerging.
Original post by Hody421
Oh okay for Tech Fix

What are some case studies for this part of the specification:

i) The externalities of technology are accounted for in some economies but not in others, with contrasting consequences for human and ecosystem well being

And what would say about the future of technology? Is it going to be a business as usual,convergent one or a peripheral one?

Chernobyl nuclear plant
Social (human) impacts- 31 people died from the explosion
-330,000 people have been replaced from their home town. Majority have lost their identity as their identity was linked to Chernobyl
-more than 4000 children are suffering from thyroid cancer

Environmental (ecosystem) impacts- Birds such as the white-tailed eagle are rare and after the Chernobyl disaster they have become more rare.
-increase in mortality of coniferous plants, soil invertebrates and mammals
-reproductive losses in plants and animals
-high concentration of radioactive materials in Kiev reservoir

Three Gorges Dam
Social (human) impacts-The technology has caused the land to weaken thus causing several landslides which has killed people (over 50 people have died)-If the Dam fails or weakens (earthquake in 2008 in China) there is a risk of Colossal flooding.

Environmental (ecosystem) impacts- built on the River Yangtze.... River Yangtze has endangered species such as the Chinese Dolphin and Chinese sturgeon... thus will effect them as they can't migrate up and down the dam properly.

Pesticide DDT
Social (human) impacts- increased breast cancer in women
-increased male infertility
-Contaminated lakes and ground water, thus effect peoples health who would use this water.
-other health conditions are still being investigated (mostly cancer)

Environmental (ecosystem) impacts- killed insects, such as keystone species such as bees/wasps which pollinate plants, thus these plants take in CO2 and provide oxygen. However if they don't get pollinated then there will be a decrease in plants....
-Bald eagles population fell as they were being intoxicated with this chemical which eventually killed them
-There was a decrease in birds as the pesticide DDT was affecting the egg shell of the birds... (the shell was weakened thus not being able to hold the bird inside, hence falling apart and letting the fluid flow out)

Other examples; GM Crops, Chemical weapons, CFC's

Question: what would say about the future of technology? Is it going to be a business as usual,convergent one or a peripheral one

Answer: business as usual for the countries who are developing and industrialising.... they will still consume a lot of fossil fuels.

I don't know what convergent and a peripheral one is???? explain :smile:
Original post by Archie baker
how is the arctic council in favour for USA?

bribery... It is not hard to see how big TNC's such as Exxon Mobil and Chevron are able to bribe USA's government in order to access certain land (ANWR) in order to extract oil.

Another thing is that there is 8 members (8 countries) in the Arctic council... So there is likely for favouritism to occur.
Reply 987
Am I the only one who hasn't particularly studied the views on the last page of the pre-release? are we supposed to incorporate in our answers or would there be a specific question about different views? having a bit of a panic.....
thanks
Could somebody outline some of the necessities on how to answer a essay mainly, but smaller questions too. Preferably just give me a step by step on how many points, style of writing and how much writing I need to do to answer a question effectively? Last year and this year i often find its my technique, not knowledge which costs me marks. Beyond the point a mark rule im not too sure on answer structures. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Causton97
That'd be lovely... we'd be able to talk about the role of IGOs like the World Bank, World Trade Organisation, International Monetary Fund etc. in relation to the poverty cycle (vicious and virtuous) and FDI (foreign direct investment) - the way it provides a short term economic boost to bridge the gap, but does not in the long term encourage independent economic growth. It's also a form of tied aid which limits development, furthering the underdevelopment of nations, which allows America to maintain its superpower status, as per the Dependency Theory.

You've also got the role of NGOs, such as World Renew (previously the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee) operating in Ethiopia, providing local communities with micro-loans and donations to boost the community's economy and standard of living, bridging the gap between the richest and poorest in society. Also, skills training (education) is provided to boost employment opportunities, with alternative farming methods being taught to encourage self-sufficiency in generating financial capital, and counselling services to provide healthcare. This is a long-term solution and helps the local people directly, eliminating the potential for corruption that can be experienced with major loans from IGOs that are given to corrupt governments, such as that of Zimbabwe.

You can talk about the disparity in financial capital relating to trade. For example, political unions and trade agreements such as NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) and the European Union act as a common market, reducing tariffs and giving greater benefits for member states, encouraging deregulation, privatisation and the greater acceptance of Capitalism and the neo-liberal philosophy that seeks to make the richer richer, and the poor poorer. Non-member states such as those in Africa (Ethiopia, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia etc.) seek to involve themselves in international trade but find themselves unable to compete due to these trade blocs.

Edit - TNCs also help to bridge the gap by providing employment (McDonald's in African nations/Nike in India), investment in relevant industries and higher wages. They encourage competitiveness, but limit the ability of local communities to dictate prices as the TNC is stronger and more powerful, selling their products at a far cheaper price, which can eliminate many small localised businesses. On the other hand, the TNC can also be seen as an exploitative entity, seeking to maximise profits by outsourcing their business to these less developed countries. They usually pay their workers the bare minimum and generally do not adhere to Fair Trade practices, although this is beginning to change, and will continue to do so in the future.

god bless you:colondollar:
Original post by mr.cool09
bribery... It is not hard to see how big TNC's such as Exxon Mobil and Chevron are able to bribe USA's government in order to access certain land (ANWR) in order to extract oil.

Another thing is that there is 8 members (8 countries) in the Arctic council... So there is likely for favouritism to occur.

You could also add that the USA is currently the leader country of the Arctic council.
Hi, Could someone please explain the GAP Turkey water project please?

Nice one, something that will likely be incorporated into my answers now :biggrin:
Original post by LaurenNicole1
Hi, Could someone please explain the GAP Turkey water project please?

Turkey GAP project Present day Turkey: Scarcity of water supplies in theriver basin of ancient Mesoptamia has fed a disagreement between neighbouringnations. The Tigris & Euphrates Rivers originate in Turkey. The riversystem is shared by several countries and ethnic groups and all have a risingpopulation affecting the availability of water. The rivers Tigris and Euphratesare especially important to Syria and Iraq. Syria’s water supply is made up of 85% from the combination of theserivers . Southern Turkey suffers from droughts. Turksand Kurds are less dependent on the rivers. Aims of the GAP Scheme: The $32 Billion South EasternAnatolian project addresses droughts in Southern Turkey, which affects majorcities such as Istanbul. Turkey aims to be the ‘bread basket’ of the MiddleEast and will therefore increase cash crops. They plan to use this forsocio-economic development which creates a better education, healthcare andmore jobs to stop outmigration. What does the scheme consist of? It consists of 22 dams and 19 HEPpower plants which will produce 22% of Turkey’s energy. Plans to irrigate1.7million hectares and support 7% of the population. South East Anatolia’seconomy is predicted to grow by 400%. Concerns Syria and Iraq unhappy with thescheme as it provides most of their water, which may cause geopoliticaltensions. The Ilisu Dam on the Tigris was proposed but couldn’t get funding dueto the impact it would have. Players such as the World Bank and the UK govpulled out of the funding. The Ilisu Dam was going to: · Flood 80,000 homes and displace thousands ofKurds, and cause waterborne diseases. Future In 2004, the Ilisu Dam scheme wasamended and still caused the displacement of Kurds. It was funded by 3companies such as Swiss and German Credit companies. Water was released toSyria but not Iraq. There is now a new plan to create the Cizre Dam which willtake out water from the Tigris for irrigation and annoy Syria and Iraq.ose
Original post by s234590
god bless you:colondollar:

The scary thing is that I was going over everything yesterday and I felt like I didn't understand any of it, but everything just sort of comes to me when I get asked a question. I haven't had time to practise any past papers or anything, so I'm terrified for the exam tomorrow. I just need to pull off at least a C grade in the paper, and then do the same in the Unit 4 exam to get a B overall, which is all I need for university, at least in terms of Geography.
Original post by Causton97
The scary thing is that I was going over everything yesterday and I felt like I didn't understand any of it, but everything just sort of comes to me when I get asked a question. I haven't had time to practise any past papers or anything, so I'm terrified for the exam tomorrow. I just need to pull off at least a C grade in the paper, and then do the same in the Unit 4 exam to get a B overall, which is all I need for university, at least in terms of Geography.

same i have not really been paying a lot of attention to geog but im hoping it all just comes back to me! need 70.5% in this to get an A overall so hopefully!
Reply 997

Thanks for sharing, this is a really interesting thing to put in an essay!
Reply 998
stressing for this exam!!

anyone have any predictions on superpowers and development gap?

i've read a lot of people think that the 15 marker on development gap will be about trade but i feel so clueless about that, are there any specific case studies for trade?
Reply 999
When answering a question and referring to the pre-release do we have to quote it (similarly to unit 4)? what are peoples thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending