The Student Room Group

Geography A2 Edexcel Unit 3 HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by parsyyy
Does anyone understand how increased freshwater in the arctic ocean will affect world currents?

it increase fresh ice melt which is less dense so kind of floats on top. this reduces albedo (is not as dark as ocean water) so temperatures decrease and the currents slow down, will cause extreme cooling of the uk
regarding the pre-release, if it is asking about human threats, so we list all overfishing, mining, shipping, tourism, pollution,
or do we only focus on 3 and explain in detail???
Original post by saycheese:)
regarding the pre-release, if it is asking about human threats, so we list all overfishing, mining, shipping, tourism, pollution,
or do we only focus on 3 and explain in detail???

Following the advice of my teacher, try to explain them all in detail. if you have to move onto another question, in your conclusion, say something like 'in this essay I have analysed 3/4/5 threats in detail, although there are many more threats that threaten life/biodiversity etc in the arctic such as...' it shows you know more than what you wrote so hopefully the examiner thinks you're diligent and more likely to give marks :smile:
Original post by grammar12
Following the advice of my teacher, try to explain them all in detail. if you have to move onto another question, in your conclusion, say something like 'in this essay I have analysed 3/4/5 threats in detail, although there are many more threats that threaten life/biodiversity etc in the arctic such as...' it shows you know more than what you wrote so hopefully the examiner thinks you're diligent and more likely to give marks :smile:

thank you so much, such a great advice. I'm so nervous about geography... so much harder than last year...
Original post by joeheat
it increase fresh ice melt which is less dense so kind of floats on top. this reduces albedo (is not as dark as ocean water) so temperatures decrease and the currents slow down, will cause extreme cooling of the uk

thanks for the reply, surely if it's not darker then it will increase albedo?
Original post by LilDurk
invigilator will give you one in 12hrs

lol ok 'lil dirk" .
Original post by Kash24411
Mr.Cool has answered this question very well earlier in this thread so i hope he doesn't mind me sharing his answer with you.

Players to consider....
Gazprom (1/3 of the world's gas supply, provide 25% of the EU's natural gas, provides only 10% of the UK's supply of gas, began in 1992... government owns 50.002% of the shares, employs 432,000 staff, 3rd largest corporation)

OPEC (was formed in 1960, OPEC has 12 members, found in Baghdad, 35% of oil supply but over 60% of proven reserves)

USA Government (the total contribution from the oil company stood at over $14m... mostly going towards political parties, oil and gas industries have contributed $182m to politicians, republics have received 75% of the funds from big TNC's, republicans were able to prevent a bill from being passed by congress which would have imposed 25% windfall tax on oil companies)
Exxon Mobil lobbied the government and gained access to the federal lands.
Chevron Texaco lobbied energy issues and opened up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska for oil drilling.

Scientists (Find new way of generating electricity, biofuels, increase efficiency of current technology... such as solar power and wind power, exploration of oil)

Exxon Mobil (formed in 1999, have 37 oil refineries in 21 countries, daily production of 4million barrels of oil per day, Exxon Valdez spill in 1989, Esso in the UK)

China (High economic growth thus thirsty for resources to power its economy, was self sufficient till 1993, exports 4.5m barrels of crude oil a day, second largest oil consumer after USA)

Greenpeace (formed in 1962-1972 in Vancouver, 15,000 volunteers, 2400 staff, they are against oil drilling (Arctic drilling for oil))

Thanks for the reply! And thanks Mr.Cool!
Can anyone briefly explain sustainable yield concept to me? I have it as a parallel to business as usual in the Arctic?
Original post by bbbtsr
basic structure but i hoped this helped

I didn't think about the counter argument :s-smilie: Thank you!
guys how would you answer this question im baffled, ''explain the contributions humans have had on the deterioration of the arctic'
Reply 1190
Original post by itachi3333
guys how would you answer this question im baffled, ''explain the contributions humans have had on the deterioration of the arctic'

don't stress urself because that wont come up
guys i dont get it.... does the arctic have high or low biodiversity...
Original post by jegro
don't stress urself because that wont come up

either way how would you go about answering it?
Original post by grammar12
Key players:
Countries of the arctic (Russia etc)
TNCs (BP etc)
Pressure groups (Greenpeace etc)
Locals / indigenous population
Global population (affected due to global warming)
Political organisations (UN)

Arctic management is an umbrella term for anything that controls or manages a factor of the arctic. E.g. UN convention of the law of the sea limiting activity to 200 nautical miles from their shore. Positives: Stops unfair extraction of minerals/oil etc. negatives: limits the amount of oil we can extract.

National arctic policy: positives: shows USA treats it as a priority, Negative: they are likely to be interested in the arctic for their own good. etc etc

For threats:
Global warming: Positive: opens shipping routes, tree line moves north negatives: sea levels etc etc
Drilling: positives: boost economy, prevents rapid price increases, deflects peak oil etc. Negatives : obvious.
Pollution: positives: none
Oil spills: positives: none

Thank you so much - you may have just saved my bacon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
please help - my teacher sent me this question for the pre release stuff : "Assess the impact of changing climate on biodiversity levels in the Arctic biomes" its worth 14 marks.

The wording of the question confuses me. When answering the question would I first talk about how the climate is a huge impact and threat - and then move on to other factors such as overfishing etc.... or would i just talk about climate change - usually with assess the impact you either say yes or no - but obviously that doesn't fit here?!
Reply 1195
Good luck everyone, If I do well it well definitely be because of this thread not my dreadful teacher!
Original post by ahmedghon
guys i dont get it.... does the arctic have high or low biodiversity...

Generally low biodiversity due to
- harsh climate - plant life can only grow at a minimum of 6 degrees
- Arctic Ocean - low biological productivity - lack of sunlight penetrating sea ice that stops photosynthesis from occurring
- terrestrial ecosystems shows a latitudinal trend for biodiversity - highest productivity found in tropics - decreases progressively towards the pole

However
- ANWR - high biodiversity - breeding area for caribou and migratory birds
- boreal forests - 25% of world's forest cover - 2300 vascular plant species
- High level of endemism due to isolation/islandisation - caribou, northern hawk owl, arctic fox, polar bears

Hope this answers your question although i'm not sure...
Original post by simsid
lol ok 'lil dirk" .

lmao #300
Reply 1198
could someone brief explain the role of UN in the arctic?
anyon got a model answer for 'why is arctic important in terms of biodviersity?'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending