The Student Room Group

Geography A2 Edexcel Unit 3 HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strawberry68
The animals are the main part of the inuit's way of life. They live of them sustainably.
I wrote that indigenous people in Yamal, Russia live and work with reindeer and said facts about that.

Thanks - what are some synoptic links to the question of Section B?

Is it okay to just focus on biodiversity under threat to achieve top band?
Original post by iceangel8
how does that impact the environment and biodiversity though?

Say it were to become an actual full-blown resource war, which could happen in the future as the scrabble for fossil fuels becomes more desperate... Fighting would affect the environment and affect biodiversity!
Reply 1382
Original post by Niall_18
Yes I mentioned an anomaly on the energy figure 1 resource

whats an anomoly?!
Original post by DaveUncle
Say it were to become an actual full-blown resource war, which could happen in the future as the scrabble for fossil fuels becomes more desperate... Fighting would affect the environment and affect biodiversity!

Hey - if you look at mark schemes for every single Section B question - you will see at the top band (13-16) and (10-12) 'Strong synoptic links' or 'Synoptic.'

I didn't really refer to anything other than biodiversity - I did talk about IGOs in Arctic Council, TNCs, Superpowers etc - is this enough for top band?
Original post by c_aras
whats an anomoly?!

I spelt it wrong- anomaly- something which deviates what is expected
Reply 1385
Felt that it was a fairly ok exam, feeling quite confident about it - enjoyed the 15 markers. I did superpowers and development (Economics and Politics are my other options, so they help). Know that it may not be relevant to most of you and you may not care ect but I always like it when people post answers so :biggrin:

Superpowers
3a) Evaluate how useful these ways of measuring power are. 10 (or something like that...)

- Military spending Pros: Can pay for larger standing army, have better equipment, invest in R+D and have most up to date technology, accurately shows past present and emerging superpowers.
- Military spending Cons: Nuclear Weapons have leveled the playing field. (I wrote something else but forgot it)

-No. of patents registered Pros: Nations that innovate and acquire new technology first tend to get ahead (relate to UK industrialisation leading to British Empire). Shows economic power due to increased investment.
-No. of Patents Cons: May not show any economic power, just level of education. Doesn't matter for certain economies that rely on cheap labour and manufacturing of cheap goods eg. China. Not a guarantee of success.

-Olympic Medals Pros: More powerful nations tend to have the resources to plough into sports. (This was a horrible one to argue)
-Olympic Medals Cons: Sporting ability is something that comes naturally, and cannot be bought by more powerful nations.

Score? Maybe a 7/10?

3b) To what extent does the rise of the BRICs represent opportunities or threats to other developing nations? 15

- Opportunity #1: The BRICs can invest in other developing nations and give loans, especially in areas that Western nations have steered clear of, eg Sudan, DR Congo. Example being China involved in mining in Chile and other African states.
- Opportunity #2: The BRICs now are asserting their political power more, breaking up the Western dominance of the UN, IMF and World Bank, giving a voice to developing nations and changing the policy path from neo-liberalism to that of ideals like sustainable development

- Threat #1: The BRICs may try to dominate, exploit and subjugate other developing nations, due to their ascension to the Core (or semi-periphery); link to dependency theory and world systems theory. Again, China exploring cheap raw resources in African States.
- Threat #2: The BRICs rapid industrialisation will lead to increasing climate change and global warming - the effects of which fall disproportionately on developing states, eg flooding in Bangladesh.

Score? 12/15?

Development

4a) Explain reasons for the trends and differences in Vietnamese poverty levels 1994-2006? 10 (wasn't able to do a second trend due to time issues :[ ...)

- Trend: General falling of poverty levels from roughly 65% to 25% (?!?!?) due to the fall of communism, leading to an opening up of Vietnam economically, encouraging FDI and allowing it to utilise its cheap workforce for manufacturing, leading to higher incomes.

- Difference #1: Between rural and urban. Generic argument; cities offer greater employment opportunities, higher wages due to manufacturing nature, rural use cheap farming still leading to greater poverty.
- Difference #2: Between Ethnic Minorities and Ethnic Vietnamese Majority. All the main vietnamese cities on the map are located in majority areas, simular to point above. Further, the culture and heritage in SE Asian nations is important, meaning Ethnic minorities are less likely to get work, and work will be lower paid than for the ethnics majority

Score: 7(hopefully 8)/10

4b) To what extent does the economic gains of economic development outweigh the social and environmental costs? 15

-Economic gain #1: Greater wealth means people lifted out of poverty, reducing hunger and malnutrition, helping stop the cycle of poverty. eg China meeting MDG #1 earlier due to growth. Saves lives - what could be a better gain?
-Economic gain #2: Linked to above, rising living standards due to more money for healthcare and living standards, less death, longer lives, better lives yada yada...

-Social Costs #1:Increasing inequality due to the nature of capitalism
-Social Costs #2: Worse health due to pollution of water supply (toxic factory waste) and of air (eg china smog = 20 cigarettes a day)

-Environmental Costs #1: Climate change due to industrialisation
-Environmental Costs #2: Pollution ect...

Score? 12/15?

Total guessed score for section A: 38/50, 76%
I'll do a section B one if anyone wants :smile: Although don't take my word as right for any of this - could easily have got everything wrong (:frown:).

Please tell me what you think scorewise!? :tongue: (good or bad, just want to see people's opinion).
lool I wrote yunan peninsula instead of yamal penisula.. i hope they don't notice
Original post by cherryblossoms
lool I wrote yunan peninsula instead of yamal penisula.. i hope they don't notice

I wrote Dubane River instead of Danube river, hopefully won't notice, my writing's quite messy :colone:
Original post by ayshac94
I wrote Dubane River instead of Danube river, hopefully won't notice, my writing's quite messy :colone:

haha we live and hope :colone:
Original post by jarchie21
just to check- the superpowers question b was on the threats/opportunities of BRICS on developing countries right?

Yep! Well at least that's what I discussed haha but I only had time to discuss Russia and India so don't know how well I've done:s-smilie:
3a was not an evaluate question, 100%. I think you've gone a bit off track, you're supposed to measure how good the measures are, eg) military spending shows large economic and military power.
Original post by PSOAM
Felt that it was a fairly ok exam, feeling quite confident about it - enjoyed the 15 markers. I did superpowers and development (Economics and Politics are my other options, so they help). Know that it may not be relevant to most of you and you may not care ect but I always like it when people post answers so :biggrin:

Superpowers
3a) Evaluate how useful these ways of measuring power are. 10 (or something like that...)

- Military spending Pros: Can pay for larger standing army, have better equipment, invest in R+D and have most up to date technology, accurately shows past present and emerging superpowers.
- Military spending Cons: Nuclear Weapons have leveled the playing field. (I wrote something else but forgot it)

-No. of patents registered Pros: Nations that innovate and acquire new technology first tend to get ahead (relate to UK industrialisation leading to British Empire). Shows economic power due to increased investment.
-No. of Patents Cons: May not show any economic power, just level of education. Doesn't matter for certain economies that rely on cheap labour and manufacturing of cheap goods eg. China. Not a guarantee of success.

-Olympic Medals Pros: More powerful nations tend to have the resources to plough into sports. (This was a horrible one to argue)
-Olympic Medals Cons: Sporting ability is something that comes naturally, and cannot be bought by more powerful nations.

Score? Maybe a 7/10?

3b) To what extent does the rise of the BRICs represent opportunities or threats to other developing nations? 15

- Opportunity #1: The BRICs can invest in other developing nations and give loans, especially in areas that Western nations have steered clear of, eg Sudan, DR Congo. Example being China involved in mining in Chile and other African states.
- Opportunity #2: The BRICs now are asserting their political power more, breaking up the Western dominance of the UN, IMF and World Bank, giving a voice to developing nations and changing the policy path from neo-liberalism to that of ideals like sustainable development

- Threat #1: The BRICs may try to dominate, exploit and subjugate other developing nations, due to their ascension to the Core (or semi-periphery); link to dependency theory and world systems theory. Again, China exploring cheap raw resources in African States.
- Threat #2: The BRICs rapid industrialisation will lead to increasing climate change and global warming - the effects of which fall disproportionately on developing states, eg flooding in Bangladesh.

Score? 12/15?

Development

4a) Explain reasons for the trends and differences in Vietnamese poverty levels 1994-2006? 10 (wasn't able to do a second trend due to time issues :[ ...)

- Trend: General falling of poverty levels from roughly 65% to 25% (?!?!?) due to the fall of communism, leading to an opening up of Vietnam economically, encouraging FDI and allowing it to utilise its cheap workforce for manufacturing, leading to higher incomes.

- Difference #1: Between rural and urban. Generic argument; cities offer greater employment opportunities, higher wages due to manufacturing nature, rural use cheap farming still leading to greater poverty.
- Difference #2: Between Ethnic Minorities and Ethnic Vietnamese Majority. All the main vietnamese cities on the map are located in majority areas, simular to point above. Further, the culture and heritage in SE Asian nations is important, meaning Ethnic minorities are less likely to get work, and work will be lower paid than for the ethnics majority

Score: 7(hopefully 8)/10

4b) To what extent does the economic gains of economic development outweigh the social and environmental costs? 15

-Economic gain #1: Greater wealth means people lifted out of poverty, reducing hunger and malnutrition, helping stop the cycle of poverty. eg China meeting MDG #1 earlier due to growth. Saves lives - what could be a better gain?
-Economic gain #2: Linked to above, rising living standards due to more money for healthcare and living standards, less death, longer lives, better lives yada yada...

-Social Costs #1:Increasing inequality due to the nature of capitalism
-Social Costs #2: Worse health due to pollution of water supply (toxic factory waste) and of air (eg china smog = 20 cigarettes a day)

-Environmental Costs #1: Climate change due to industrialisation
-Environmental Costs #2: Pollution ect...

Score? 12/15?

Total guessed score for section A: 38/50, 76%
I'll do a section B one if anyone wants :smile: Although don't take my word as right for any of this - could easily have got everything wrong (:frown:).

Please tell me what you think scorewise!? :tongue: (good or bad, just want to see people's opinion).

Some additional points you could have included in the Superpowers questions;

- Olympic Medal Count - Winners of the Olympics can project more cultural imperialism. Athletic idols can rise and subconsciously influence peoples views towards countries.

- BRICs led trade blocs will rise. A current example is the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation/Trade Bloc, this involves Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and will see Iran, India, Mongolia, Pakistan and Afghanistan joining in the future.
It acts like a trade bloc, removing trade tariffs but also includes the cooperation of military and political action.
In short, developing countries (Like Tajikistan in this case) can greatly benefit from the BRICs involvement.

- BRICs will likely project more hard power in the future due to the decreasing role of traditional 'western' powers such as the UN and NATO. A prime example is Russia annexing Crimea from the Ukraine and the UN not being able to do much about it.

- Conflicts between the BRICs and the 'West' as well as internal conflicts between BRICs themselves will likely result in an increase of Proxy Wars in developing countries.
An example is the proxy conflict between India and China with India helping Buddhist secessionist movement in Western China (Himalayas) and China helping the Maoists in Northern India.
Original post by Hody421
Hey - if you look at mark schemes for every single Section B question - you will see at the top band (13-16) and (10-12) 'Strong synoptic links' or 'Synoptic.'

I didn't really refer to anything other than biodiversity - I did talk about IGOs in Arctic Council, TNCs, Superpowers etc - is this enough for top band?

My teacher said as long as you have some synoptic links it's fine... The main ones I used were Unit 1: World at Risk, Unit 2: Extreme Weather and Unit 3: Superpower Geographies as the only major links I could see were to do with climate and superpowers :smile:
Is there a unit 4 feed ?
Reply 1394
If anyone is doing the world of cultural diversity please reply im stuck on which case studies to use!!!!!!!
Original post by Will177
I mentioned the more recent rise of Brazil which is in the south. I said leapfrogging can gives a possiblity for developing countries to close the tech gap but developing countries still lack R&D and need to spend the money on necessities like water supply and housing

said that too :smile: I mentioned that mainly in my conclusion. Really liked the b question. Hated the resource
Original post by DaveUncle
My teacher said as long as you have some synoptic links it's fine... The main ones I used were Unit 1: World at Risk, Unit 2: Extreme Weather and Unit 3: Superpower Geographies as the only major links I could see were to do with climate and superpowers :smile:

In order to hit the highest marks you need to include parrallel examples too- such as Tar Sands for oil exploitation, Galapogos islands sustainable ecotourism etc
Original post by Hody421
Thanks - what are some synoptic links to the question of Section B?

Is it okay to just focus on biodiversity under threat to achieve top band?

I don't think I put any in the first question on section B, but the global processes might count.

Other synoptic links I included were the Exon Valdives, BP oil spill when I wrote about how Shell is going to exploit the Arctic and damage it. ect

I also wrote that the shrinking biomes because of climate change is like rainforest deforestation as the biome is shrinking and changing.

I also wrote about how bad pollution in Norilsk, Russia is because of poor environmental standards and the Antarctic sanctuary in the last one.

There didn't seem to be much synoptic stuff you could add in overall really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending