The Student Room Group

"Friend" copying my symptoms

I have psychosis.
A while ago I was very unwell and confused and believed things that weren't true.

My friend asked a lot about my beliefes at the time and I though she was just being supportive and trying understand.
I ended up on sectioning hospital for months.

A few weeks later this friend told her dr all my symptoms (word for word) as if they were her symptoms.
They didn't hospitalise her and she kept asking me why I got section fort that and she didn't.
She asked me if I thought she was "psychotic" I said no and she got angry ... Like she wanted to be thought of as psychotic.

I feel she copied my symptoms to get attention and I'm really offended because I was genuinly really ill and it feels like she is taking the mick out of my illness.

Is there anything I can do about this?
Other friends have said she is doing it too.
The fact that she feels the need to do this suggests that she probably does have some kind of mental health problem. I'm not excusing what she did, but no one seeks attention like this without some kind of underlying cause.

You need to look after yourself and do whats best for you. If you and your other friends that have noticed feel you can sit down and have a talk with her about it it would probably be good for her sake, but equally, it might be good for you to distance yourself from this friendship as,I can't imagine its particularly healthy for you.
It is most likely a cry for help, by getting hospitalised for psychosis, maybe she's hoping they'd find out something else she's struggling with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can see clearly why you are insulted but try not to be.

Her doing it suggests something else is up so try asking her about it (maybe you and another friend).

If she is trying to be taken seriously by doctors with it it means she thinks its valid so she's not totally mocking you. There may be something else she's having trouble with but doesn't know how to explain.
I know I "copied" other peoples symptoms when I was ill because I wasn't sure how to describe it myself.

Try not to take it personally. If she really is suffering in some way you're the best to help her and if she is just making it up she's not worth your time.
Reply 4
Thanks guys you are right.

I have distanced my self from her for the moment. She is not healthy for me and although she is a lovely girl I'm finding the copying offensive so I can't be civil with her right now so distance is necessary. For the moment anyway.

I know your right that she has a mental health problem too. I know she is ill, I don't doubt that she is struggling. I just think that she needs different help than she is looking for.

I also considered that she might not even realise she is doing it. She may believe she is just getting caught up in other thoughts.

I guess I just found it hard because I'm trying to stay rational about thoes experiences and stay well but the same symptoms made me go backwards a bit but that is my issue not hers.

I feel like a bad person just for making this tread but I needed to get it off my chest and sort my thoughts out.
Original post by Anonymous

I feel like a bad person just for making this tread but I needed to get it off my chest and sort my thoughts out.

Please don't feel bad. You are obviously concerned and rightly so.

Quick Reply

Latest