The Student Room Group

House is making me depressed

Hey everyone, I'm in my second year of university and in September I moved into a student house. However a few weeks in I just began to not enjoy it at all and have been trying to find someone to move into my room so I can go. At first I thought I was just unhappy but now it's turned into something more.

Over the past couple of weeks I've barely been able to get out of bed every morning, I just don't see the point in doing anything. I've also had little appetite nearly every single day and have no motivation to do anything. I know it's living here that's making me feel this way, I haven't yet told me landlord how I feel.

I'm just really scared because of how I'm feeling, I've booked an appointment to go and speak to someone but has anyone else went through something similar?
Reply 1
So, it's the house that makes you feel unhappy?
Reply 2
Original post by daviem
So, it's the house that makes you feel unhappy?

Yeah I know it's the house that's making me feel like this but it's started to affect everything.
What is it about the house thats making you feel like this.

How do you know its not homesickeness, stress or depression... which to be honest is more likely
Reply 4
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
What is it about the house thats making you feel like this.

How do you know its not homesickeness, stress or depression... which to be honest is more likely

I'm not exactly sure what it is about the house but I just know I hate living here.

I'm saying that I think it's depression, caused as a result of living here.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I know it's the house that's making me feel like this but it's started to affect everything.

I personally think that blaming the house is a poor excuse, if you are depressed I think it's more likely that its for some other reason and instead of focusing on that, you're creating other problems in order to have an answer.
From what I know, if you have depression (and it seems like you have) it's usually because of several things? Maybe you think that the house is the only reason that you have depression, but in reality it might just be another factor adding to your depression? Maybe it's the fact that you don't have your family or friends around you? Maybe Uni is getting stressful?
Obviously at home you are not in your room all the time, you do different stuff, so maybe not spending all your time in your room at your present place could change your mood?
Maybe try and decorate your room, go out, have more contact with your friends, family.
It takes time before you get used to a new place. If it does not work then motivate yourself by thinking that you will be able to go back home during your Christmas holiday? Or it could be that the weather is affecting you i.e. you have Seasonal Affective Disorder. If it was summer, would it have been better?
Think about it.
Reply 7
Original post by daviem
I personally think that blaming the house is a poor excuse, if you are depressed I think it's more likely that its for some other reason and instead of focusing on that, you're creating other problems in order to have an answer.

I don't see how 'blaming' the house is a poor excuse? I didn't feel like this until I had moved in and nothing else has really happened apart from living here that has gotten me down.
I don't see how 'blaming' the house is a poor excuse? I didn't feel like this until I had moved in and nothing else has really happened apart from living here that has gotten me down.

With depression, there doesn't have to always be a cause or trigger. It does sound like you've simply become depressed, and because the only thing you feel has changed is the house, you've decided that's what it is, when thats not necessarily the case and its probably not that simple. The fact that you don't actually know what it is about the house says that you probably wouldn't feel that much different if you were somewhere else. I strongly suggest you see your GP and contact the university's counselling services
Reply 9

Because I just don't see how logically a house can make you feel depressed, it just doesn't make sense. Like I said before, if you are depressed I reckon it's probably because of something else and you need to focus on finding out what that is instead of creating problems in order to try and find answers. Just my personal opinion, but I'm no professional.

Quick Reply

Latest