The Student Room Group

Stop Comparing Myself To Others :(

I know this might be long but please take time to read it.
There are people that know me personally on here that's why I've chosen to post anonymously .
Ok so,I'm a first year university student.I didn't make it to my firm or insurance I had to go through clearing but that's not relevant for now .

Hopefully it will make sense at the end when you've read the whole post

Ifind that I'm always comparing my academic ability to everyone else's and I absolutely HATE it :'( .I don't know how I can stop doing this.I don't do it consciously .The sixth form I went to was full of clever kids.I'd come from a below average performing secondary school.So it got worse then.People would get a string of As or 100%s in tests and I'd find myself comparing my grades/scores to theirs :'(I honestly can't put into words how much I HATE comparing my grades to others but I don't know how I can stop doing it .

I've also noticed that I tend to brag about a good grade and things like that.I'm trying to stop this by not talking about my studies to anybody or post anything related on social media.

The other day on Instagram I deleted all my pictures that had anything to do with revision /studying because I hate people who brag about grades /make it seem like they're the only people that have to study .I just want to be chilled out about my studies and not have to advertise every aspect of them.

E.g. I have a friend I met at my firm choice interview ,we got on really well we've stayed friends and she got into the firm choice.I remember when I found out she had got in, in my head it was like "she's clever than me" , "I'm stupid" .It makes me feel like such a fool and immature

I don't know how I can stop this bragging/comparing academic ability attitude :frown: .I want to be concerned about my own achievements .Any advice /help would be useful.
-Thankyou :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Stopping yourself from comparign yourself to others is something that happens once you stop caring so much about what other people are doing, focusing on what you want and whats best for you, and improving your self confidence.

Easier said than done... but I think the fact that you compare yourself to others is really the secondary issue caused by a self esteem problem, and there's no single way to deal with that. A lot of that will come with age and maturity. But if you're finding it to be a big problem, perhaps you should consider speaking to a counsellor about things.

Quick Reply

Latest