The Student Room Group

Medicine in Romania/Europe in general

Hi, long story short, I have average stats and am considering doing medicine in Romania because of the high competitiveness of the UK ones I've applied to. Please can someone provide me with info on Cluj and Iasi unis as the websites aren't helpful. Also, any other university in Europe where it is fairly 'easy' to get into, the information for them would be good as well as any anecdotes from students there?

Thanks! This should be helpful for people in my situation too
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Reply 2
I have heard that medicine in prague is very difficult. Romania is definitely the easier option however they Both cost a ton! Bulgaria is a good place to go to tbh as you can get a loan from the university to pay your tuition fees
Reply 3
I am Romanian and applying to UK universities, from what I have heard from my classmates applying to medicine it is anything but easy to get in. They have very difficult exams and in order to secure a place you must get at least 8.5/10. Which is a lot. I can't tell you much, but what I do know is that Cluj is the top destination for Romanian students, they say it's very active and a lot of fun. Iasi is a beautiful city, doesn't have as many students and its universities are not as good but it would still be a good choice. I don't know how things work for international students but for Romanians it is very difficult to get into medicine school and I also heard something about the degrees not being recognized abroad. To tell you the truth, I don't think it is such a good idea to give up on UK education and end up with a much lower than average medical degree. Try looking for students on Facebook through the universities pages, I am certain they would be more than happy to provide you with further information. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Hey I am currently studying in Romania and I have to say it was such a good decision! So if you don't have the grades and you really want to study then it is a good option :smile:

The only issue I had was applying to the university. Doing it on your own is a lengthy process and you can often get ripped off every step of the way.

My solution: I applied through an agency I was recommended by a friend - www.Medic-Link.org.uk and it worked out fantastic. They got me a place and sorted my accommodation, as well as introducing me to some colleagues.

Now I am settled and studying the course of my dreams! If you have any questions about studying abroad then let me know. I can remember how difficult it was to make the decision :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lizz124
I am Romanian and applying to UK universities, from what I have heard from my classmates applying to medicine it is anything but easy to get in. They have very difficult exams and in order to secure a place you must get at least 8.5/10. Which is a lot. I can't tell you much, but what I do know is that Cluj is the top destination for Romanian students, they say it's very active and a lot of fun. Iasi is a beautiful city, doesn't have as many students and its universities are not as good but it would still be a good choice. I don't know how things work for international students but for Romanians it is very difficult to get into medicine school and I also heard something about the degrees not being recognized abroad. To tell you the truth, I don't think it is such a good idea to give up on UK education and end up with a much lower than average medical degree. Try looking for students on Facebook through the universities pages, I am certain they would be more than happy to provide you with further information. Best of luck :smile:

Thank you for your response, so just to clarify is this UK students applying to Romania for medicine or UK students graduating from Romania, applying back to the UK for jobs etc? Thank you for your kind help!
Reply 6
Original post by maria-z
Hey I am currently studying in Romania and I have to say it was such a good decision! So if you don't have the grades and you really want to study then it is a good option :smile:

The only issue I had was applying to the university. Doing it on your own is a lengthy process and you can often get ripped off every step of the way.

My solution: I applied through an agency I was recommended by a friend - www.Medic-Link.org.uk and it worked out fantastic. They got me a place and sorted my accommodation, as well as introducing me to some colleagues.

Now I am settled and studying the course of my dreams! If you have any questions about studying abroad then let me know. I can remember how difficult it was to make the decision :smile:

Thank you so much! Please let me know what university you go to, if it's Cluj please advice me about applying there! Also, can you let me know how to apply back to the UK after graduating and if I will be able to get a job easily as I don't want to study in a different country for 6 years later finding out I can't practice in the UK also, are the quite a lot of british students in your university who apply there each year for Medicine?
Thanks!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Mona17ta
Thank you so much! Please let me know what university you go to, if it's Cluj please advice me about applying there! Also, can you let me know how to apply back to the UK after graduating and if I will be able to get a job easily as I don't want to study in a different country for 6 years later finding out I can't practice in the UK also, are the quite a lot of british students in your university who apply there each year for Medicine?
Thanks!!!!

Im studying in Oradea, but I have been to cluj as well. There are some really nice cities in Romania, not like I expected it to be when I first learn of the idea!

I would suggest Applying through an agency like myself because it really took the uncertainty out of it :smile: when I graduate, I will apply for a FY2 position in the UK, its not as difficult as you think, I know quite a few people who returned to the UK after graduation.

There are more and more british students every year!
Reply 8
Original post by maria-z
Im studying in Oradea, but I have been to cluj as well. There are some really nice cities in Romania, not like I expected it to be when I first learn of the idea!

I would suggest Applying through an agency like myself because it really took the uncertainty out of it :smile: when I graduate, I will apply for a FY2 position in the UK, its not as difficult as you think, I know quite a few people who returned to the UK after graduation.

There are more and more british students every year!

Oh great that's really encouraging news! Yes I will also apply through your agency, and it's very promising you know people going back to the UK! Please keep me updated on how you apply back etc and the challenges you've met if any. Thanks for your help! Good luck!
Reply 9
yeh ofcourse, not many UK students actually know of the option to go abroad to study, and they don't know that there actually are medical courses, with reduced entry requirements, that are recognised by the GMC!

really glad for you that you will apply to Medic-Link, I actually recommend them to everyone because they helped me onto a course of my dream and are genuinely nice people. Not like what I have experienced of other agencies.. trust me! but they actually do only take a few students, so i would apply soon if i was you :smile:

if you need any other advice then let me know, if not.. then best of luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending