The Student Room Group

Medicine in Europe - How do I get started?

Hello all, I didnt get into med school in the UK and am considering going to Europe (have heard nice things about Plovdiv), how can I find out more about the application process and any requirements? Is there anything I should consider before going abroad to study medicine?
Also is it okay if I dont know any of the language before I go?

And for any current/former students at European universities, is there any advice or any recommendations you would make in preparation for studying abroad, living there, the courses, or the experience in general?
Hey I haven't applied for med in Europe but last year when I was looking just in case, I came across the website 'Medlink Students', they ran a free webinar last year about unis in Europe. They said you didn't really need to know the language, but you'll probably pick it up and when you see patients there's always a translator there. And obviously living costs and finance is something you should consider. Check out the website if the medical school has one. The Medlink Students website has info on every med school in Europe and their requirements, so go check it out! Hope this helps! : )
Original post by Anonymous
Hello all, I didnt get into med school in the UK and am considering going to Europe (have heard nice things about Plovdiv), how can I find out more about the application process and any requirements? Is there anything I should consider before going abroad to study medicine?
Also is it okay if I dont know any of the language before I go?

And for any current/former students at European universities, is there any advice or any recommendations you would make in preparation for studying abroad, living there, the courses, or the experience in general?

@KA_P would you be able to help:smile:
Hello all, I didnt get into med school in the UK and

Hi, what's stopping you from considering other options, such as a gap year? I'm speaking from experience that you can certainly get into medical school in the UK after a gap year and worst case scenario, you can apply to medicine in Europe if you don't get into Medicine in UK after a gap year. I just wanted to show you that there are other options (Medicine in Europe was a Plan E scenario of sorts - basically it was a plan to fall back on if nothing else worked)

am considering going to Europe (have heard nice things about Plovdiv), how can I find out more about the application process and any requirements?

I've attached below a link to the Plovdiv website, where you can find that information.
https://mu-plovdiv.bg/en/undergraduate/

I just wanted to let you know that there are other medical universities in Bulgaria, such as Sofia, Varna, etc.

Sofia:
https://mu-sofia.bg/en/admission/admissions-of-foreign-citizen/

Varna:
https://www.mu-varna.bg/EN/Admission/Pages/non-eu-how-to-apply.aspx

Is there anything I should consider before going abroad to study medicine?

Yes, so finance is an important thing to think about. You won't get any funding from the UK government.

Look at health insurance. The main telephone numbers you need in case of emergency situations.

There will usually be extra subject you'll learn during your course, like Latin and Bulgarian, etc. So be prepared for that. Exams in Bulgaria are not exactly like in UK, so be prepared to adjust.

Like above, try and look at other options before considering this one, since once you're there, you can't change back to a medical school in UK.

You'll be in a different country, so be prepared for the things that come with that.

Also is it okay if I dont know any of the language before I go? And for any current/former students at European universities, is there any advice or any recommendations you would make in preparation for studying abroad, living there, the courses, or the experience in general?

Yes, it's alright. You get taught Bulgarian before interacting with patient in y3.

I hope that makes sense, do you have any further questions? My sister is currently a 2nd year at Varna.
Original post by _Rusty_
@KA_P would you be able to help:smile:

:ta:
Reply 5
Original post by KA_P
Hi, what's stopping you from considering other options, such as a gap year? I'm speaking from experience that you can certainly get into medical school in the UK after a gap year and worst case scenario, you can apply to medicine in Europe if you don't get into Medicine in UK after a gap year. I just wanted to show you that there are other options (Medicine in Europe was a Plan E scenario of sorts - basically it was a plan to fall back on if nothing else worked)

Already took a gap year and was rejected again and going to Europe is my backup plan, though I understand people do take 2 gap years and apply

Are there any medical universities you would recommend looking at? (e.g. because of the quality of teaching, lots of english speaking people in the area etc.)
I mentioned Bulgaria as it seems to be quite popular, but I am open to going to other places too.
Is health insurance dependent on the healthcare system in those countries? and if they have a public health system like in the UK would I still need insurance?

I've heard about there being a 1-year preparatory language course, is it necessary or will it be taught during the medical degree?

Thanks for the help :smile: sorry for all the questions lol
Already took a gap year and was rejected again and going to Europe is my backup plan, though I understand people do take 2 gap years and apply

Are there any medical universities you would recommend looking at? (e.g. because of the quality of teaching, lots of english speaking people in the area etc.)
I mentioned Bulgaria as it seems to be quite popular, but I am open to going to other places too.
Is health insurance dependent on the healthcare system in those countries? and if they have a public health system like in the UK would I still need insurance?

I've heard about there being a 1-year preparatory language course, is it necessary or will it be taught during the medical degree?

Thanks for the help :smile: sorry for all the questions lol

I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:

As I said, my sister goes to Varna, so that's the only one I can really recommend. First year was difficult, since she was still adjusting but I'd say she's got a hang of it now in second year.

I'd say the unis I mentioned before would be popular with English speaking students, so you'd definitely be able to find them. Of course, make sure you apply to the English taught course, rather than the Bulgarian one.

I don't think the preparatory language course is necessary, what did you get for GCSE English Language?

Bulgarian is taught alongside the other topics during your course.

Don't worry :h:
Reply 7
Original post by KA_P
I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:

As I said, my sister goes to Varna, so that's the only one I can really recommend. First year was difficult, since she was still adjusting but I'd say she's got a hang of it now in second year.

I'd say the unis I mentioned before would be popular with English speaking students, so you'd definitely be able to find them. Of course, make sure you apply to the English taught course, rather than the Bulgarian one.

I don't think the preparatory language course is necessary, what did you get for GCSE English Language?

Bulgarian is taught alongside the other topics during your course.

Don't worry :h:

I got a 9 in GCSE English Language

What about living costs? Do you have any rough estimates on yearly spending?

Where is your sister living? Is she in uni accommodation or private housing? Is one better than the other?

Its exciting for me :tongue:

TIA
I got a 9 in GCSE English Language

What about living costs? Do you have any rough estimates on yearly spending?

Where is your sister living? Is she in uni accommodation or private housing? Is one better than the other?

Its exciting for me :tongue:

TIA

Yeah you won't need a preparatory course.

Here's an onslaught of links (Varna specific):

Cost of Living:
https://www.mu-varna.bg/EN/Admission/Pages/cost-of-living.aspx

My sister lives in private accommodation with our cousin. It's a flat :smile: The accomodation she got is pretty good, I recommend going to see a few before deciding. Look at the distance from the university building as well along with other useful shops.

Accomodation:
https://www.mu-varna.bg/EN/Admission/Pages/accomodation.aspx

General Admissions page with lots of useful links:
https://www.mu-varna.bg/EN/Admission/Pages/default.aspx

More useful links for Medicine:
https://www.mu-varna.bg/EN/Students/Pages/faculty-medicine.aspx

This link has a survival guide at the bottom of the page, which is worth having a read through.

I hope that helps :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
What about the downsides of going abroad to do medicine? Homesickness? Not knowing NHS or NICE guidelines? Is there anything I should be wary of?
What about the downsides of going abroad to do medicine? Homesickness? Not knowing NHS or NICE guidelines? Is there anything I should be wary of?

Yes, they're things that will happen, but it's up to you to stay updated on the UK guidelines and current issues as you study. My sister does feel homesick but we video call her every day, so that might be something for you to consider.

Also, if you join the Wizzair airlines' club (I forgot what it's called exactly), you can get tickets for a lot cheaper, making it easier for you to visit home when you're free.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Don't apply to Inter Hecs they are the worst in terms of providing correct advise and support and they also took my advance money of £500 with no conscience despite me withdrawing from the process after 1 week. I wantedvto join Bulgarian University via InterHecs. They had not done any admin work!! Not professional!This was for 2023-2024 intake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending