The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagican
Actually for a degree (like my degree) Law, prestige does play a part. A grad at any of the top 20 Law schools would be better than say Heriot-Watt by a country mile. And the subject tables are pointless, go on "what counts as a good university if i want to become a solicitor" and see for yourself how a degree at say Leicester (ranked 27th) is worth much more than say Aberdeen (ranked 12th)

Why do you think Leicester is better than Aberdeen?
Original post by Birkenhead
At no point did I say prestige did not matter. What I said is that employers' perception of universities is not governed by their position in league tables, making valuing them for law utterly pointless. Talk to nulli tertius or any other extremely well-informed law graduate and they will back this. They have their own preconceived beliefs about universities; lawyers do not waste precious working hours pouring over league tables.

I was not suggesting that Heriot-Watt was superior, quite the reverse - go back and read that again.

Since Scotland England operate on different legal systems, Aberdeen and Leicester will supply different law degrees. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Looking at subject tables is therefore more beneficial than the main ones even for law, since they will at least give you an idea of the sort of education, such as staff:students ratio, you can expect to receive for that course at that university. Main league tables provide you no benefit whatsoever.

So what do you use to gauge how good a particular uni is? The subject league tables?
Original post by Birkenhead
The course, the nebulous position it was seen to hold by employers of the profession I want to enter, its location, its aesthetic standards, its living environment, how work was assessed and how many students achieved a 1st. Unistats was extremely useful in getting objective information specific to the course.

How could assess the worth of a uni for a particular masters?
Am I the only one who thinks Manchester is better than Bristol, Birmingham or Warwick? It's said to be in top 10 in Europe I guess that counts for something... Also, KCL is right after UCL and Imperial, there' s no doubt about it...
Reply 64
Due to the context being Job prospects and Prestige here goes the list.

1 - Oxford -( the oldest university, i think and consistently produces more people in power that i am aware of)
2 - LSE -( A great University in my mind and a leader in economics)
3 - Cambridge -( Wouldn't be right if it was not listed in the top 3)
4 - Warwick
5 - Durham
6 - University of Manchester
7 - Exeter
8 - Lancaster (one of the few collegiate unis in the UK)
9 - Loughborough -(great all round uni)
10 - Aston -( it had to feature somehow. Great for business/ economics. Doing well in the official rankings and linkedin put it first)
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Warwick over Cambridge? Warwick is good but no way is it in the Top 5. More like 10-15. It's hardly known outside the UK.

What do you mean? Cambridge is right there, at the top, above Warwick...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Juichiro
Why do you think Leicester is better than Aberdeen?

More likely to bag a training contract, see that document i mentioned in my previous post. And search both of them in a big law firm and you will see why i said leicester is better (for law)
Well this isn't a controversial thread...

Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
UCL
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews
Bristol
Warwick
King's College London

It's not just about UK League position, you'd have to take into account global position as well as reputation, perhaps even study abroad links.
Original post by Citipati
I presume it would be better to hold them in "batches", as ones outcompete others frequently making it a draw.

I have not seen them all, so my opinion is pretty flawed.

These two points are excellent btw. I perhaps should have put them in batches. And people will generally rank the university they went to/want to go to/have family at better than the others.
Camb
Ox
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Bristol
Durham
Bath
St. Andrews
KCL
Original post by Eboracum
Well this isn't a controversial thread...

Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
UCL
LSE
Imperial
St Andrews
Bristol
Warwick
King's College London

It's not just about UK League position, you'd have to take into account global position as well as reputation, perhaps even study abroad links.

Hence why I also included KCL despire many people exlcuding it from their lists simply due to its rank in UK league tables
Original post by Dilzo999
What do you mean? Cambridge is right there, at the top, above Warwick...

I should probably get my eyesight checked :colondollar:
I'm not into ranking universities, a degree should be worth no more or less no matter which university it is issued at.
Original post by Roving Fish
I'm not into ranking universities, a degree should be worth no more or less no matter which university it is issued at.

Interesting POV, why? :smile:
Original post by Morrisseya
Interesting POV, why? :smile:

For a start, degrees tend to use UMS for final grading so theoretically the same 2:1 someone got from a 'bottom of the league university' is the same as one from the 'top'.

But they're all universities, you pay the same fee, so why shouldn't the quality be the same that would be taught elsewhere?
Original post by SiminaM
Am I the only one who thinks Manchester is better than Bristol, Birmingham or Warwick? It's said to be in top 10 in Europe I guess that counts for something... Also, KCL is right after UCL and Imperial, there' s no doubt about it...

Its better internationally than all of them
Original post by Roving Fish
For a start, degrees tend to use UMS for final grading so theoretically the same 2:1 someone got from a 'bottom of the league university' is the same as one from the 'top'.

But they're all universities, you pay the same fee, so why shouldn't the quality be the same that would be taught elsewhere?

This isn't true
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
This isn't true

Theoretically it should be true for a fair few degrees.
Reply 78
Original post by TheMagican
More likely to bag a training contract, see that document i mentioned in my previous post. And search both of them in a big law firm and you will see why i said leicester is better (for law)

Not so sure of that viewpoint if you consider that those studying law at Aberdeen are possibly more likely to practice thereafter in Scotland, given it is Scots Law that in the main will be studied at Aberdeen (and up here Aberdeen law graduates are pretty highly rated)
Original post by DJKL
Not so sure of that viewpoint if you consider that those studying law at Aberdeen are possibly more likely to practice thereafter in Scotland, given it is Scots Law that in the main will be studied at Aberdeen (and up here Aberdeen law graduates are pretty highly rated)

Precisely.

Latest

Trending

Trending