The Student Room Group

Using L'Hopital's Rule

Use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit limx0xcos(x)x+arcsin(x)\lim_{x{\rightarrow0}}\frac{x \cos(x)}{x+\arcsin(x)}

Here arcsin: (-1,1)-->(-pi/2,pi/2) is the inverse function of the sine function.

If I let f(x)=xcos(x)f(x)=x\cos(x) and g(x)=x+arcsin(x)g(x)=x+\arcsin(x), we obviously know that ff is differentiable but how do we know that gg is differentiable?
Original post by cooldudeman
Use L'Hopital's Rule to evaluate the limit limx0xcos(x)x+arcsin(x)\lim_{x{\rightarrow0}}\frac{x \cos(x)}{x+\arcsin(x)}

Here arcsin: (-1,1)-->(-pi/2,pi/2) is the inverse function of the sine function.

If I let f(x)=xcos(x)f(x)=x\cos(x) and g(x)=x+arcsin(x)g(x)=x+\arcsin(x), we obviously know that ff is differentiable but how do we know that gg is differentiable?

Since the sum of two differentiable functions is differentiable over their common domain, it's only sufficient to know arcsin(x) is differentiable.

Can you assume that? I'm sure you've covered it at A-level.
Original post by ghostwalker
Since the sum of two differentiable functions is differentiable over their common domain, it's only sufficient to know arcsin(x) is differentiable.

Inverse Function Theorem makes it differentiable in a neighbourhood of 0, anyway.

I know what the derivative of arcsinx is but our lecturer is veryyy uptight with justification so I really doubt she'd let us assume it. Is there any way to say arcsinx is differentiable?

And no... we didn't do anything to do with derivative of arcsinx at alevel.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smaug123
Inverse Function Theorem makes it differentiable in a neighbourhood of 0, anyway.

But the inverse function thm states a function with closed intervals....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what the derivative of arcsinx is but our lecturer is veryyy uptight with justification so I really doubt she'd let us assume it. Is there any way to say arcsinx is differentiable?

And no... we didn't do anything to do with derivative of arcsinx at alevel.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you covered the "Inverse Function Theorem", as Smaug123 suggested - basically dy/dx = 1/(dx/dy)

Can't see how you'd justify it without using that.
Reply 6
God I hated differentiables last year. They sound funny in English :smile: From what I know, you must study to see if g is continuous(which you know it is because you have studied the arcsin function I guess and the sum of 2 continuous functions is continuous- idk if I use the right words in English for math stuff)??? I may be talking nonsense I really hated those so please don't judge me :smile:
Have you covered the "Inverse Function Theorem", as Smaug123 suggested - basically dy/dx = 1/(dx/dy)

Can't see how you'd justify it without using that.

I did try but the inverse f thm has closed intervals and the derivative is never equal to zero.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did try but the inverse f thm has closed intervals and the derivative is never equal to zero.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you need it to be closed, you can restrict the domain over which arcsin is defined - as long as it includes 0, there's no problem.
If you need it to be closed, you can restrict the domain over which arcsin is defined - as long as it includes 0, there's no problem.

But if it includes 0 then the derivative would itself be 0 which makes a problem doesnt it? The thm says the derivative can't equal 0

Posted from TSR Mobile
But if it includes 0 then the derivative would itself be 0 which makes a problem doesnt it? The thm says the derivative can't equal 0

Posted from TSR Mobile

In this context our function is the sine function whose derivative is cosine. If we restrict our domain to [-pi/6,pi/6] say, then sin is strictly increasing over that interval, and the derivative is non-zero at x=0.
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless your lecturer is being ridiculously picky, my immediate reaction to your original post is that if the question says "use l'Hopital's rule to prove ..." then you're pretty much going to be expected to assume that the numerator and denominator are separately differentiable, (If the question began "prove carefully that arcsin x is differentiable over the interval [a,b]" then it would be a different exercise)

Also, as the other posters have pointed out, you don't need differentiablilty over a large interval - since you're considering the limit as x->0 you can take the tiniest closed interval you want that includes 0 e.g [-one millionth, +one millionth] if you want!

Quick Reply

Latest