The Student Room Group

Does lack of education and wealth make people more homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by suirrel
My town is relatively middle class and it's conservative in its views about LGBT people. Being a bigot about LGBT people seems to be a trait of most of England despite what the (wealthy) London-based media want to tell us. There's a tiny minority of people who are vocally and aggressively LGBT-phobic even in person and the traits that make them shout "tranny fag" from their car are the same traits that make them unsuitable for long term employment, so they're poor. Most poor people are LGBT-phobic in the same way as the middle classes are: by spreading rumours, avoiding you in the shops post-coming out, awkward fake smiles, "debates" where they're denying you dignity, voting for bigoted parties, etc.

Sorry you got shouted at, OP.

tranvestiteism is another level of this discussion. ie if the OP walked onto the bus dressed as unconvincing woman its inevtable that he would getstares, maybe even comments. probably the same as if he was dressed as a banana or a giant squirrel. does this really = *..."phobia"?
Original post by Viceroy
What's your advice? That gays hide in their houses and not bother you with their existence?

I would like them not to spread their degeneracy around like it's such a great and normal thing. Not to mention they're being used as human shields for Marxists.

There's nothing bigoted about this view; that encouraging homosexuality and normalising it is damaging to society. Just how normalising bestiality is damaging to society (it's happening). Soon, we'll all be ignoring women and dating waifus exclusively.
They are homophobic because they are uneducated (not in terms of not having a piece of paper but uneducated people tend to be ignorant of all sorts of things) and they are poor because they, or their families are uneducated.

However it isn't just poor and uneducated people who are homophobic and ignorant.... so called 'educated' people can be ignorant as well..having a degree does not equal emotional intelligence.

However 'wealthy' people or anyone who isn't a low life 'chav' as you British people often call them don't express their views in the way that chavs do, even if a homophobic 'educated' person hates gays more than a chav does, he will not be running around calling people faggots and beating them up in the streets.

They might be sitting in the Parliament and voting against your human rights though so they aren't any better than low life people beating 'faggots' up.
Reply 83
Original post by bittr n swt
I disagree. One can oppose for many valid reasons, dare I say it, even religious reasons.

I could have been more specific. I would think it hard to find any objective reason for the opposition. We all have moral ideals, but harming others while holding no objective reason for doing so could be considered unreasonable and unnecessary.
Original post by Marcum
I could have been more specific. I would think it hard to find any objective reason for the opposition. We all have moral ideals, but harming others while holding no objective reason for doing so could be considered unreasonable and unnecessary.

Being opposed to homosexuality doesn't harm anyone just like being for homo.

I'm just saying those opposed are entitled to hold their view but of course shouting abuse is cheap
Are you suggesting LGBT-phobic people are unsuitable for long term unemployment?

Traits that make someone shout abuse at someone who even "looks" gay are the kind of traits that make finding long term employment hard.
It's not due to poverty lol

People insult each other all the time I suggest you get over it. Not everyone is in favour of homosexuality too, doesn't mean they're ignorant. Everyone is entitled to their views.

Original post by Pseudocode
Probably one of the best posters on here.

No, not necessarily, however people who aren't "in favour of homosexuality" tend to be quite homophobic. On TSR, and both in the real world, you're not allowed to say homophobic thing,because that'd come under a "hate crime"

I'd hate to be gay. You have people saying "It's a choice" when people live in societies that are seriously homophobic. Why would you choose to be gay, if society hates you for it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Thuggee
tranvestiteism is another level of this discussion. ie if the OP walked onto the bus dressed as unconvincing woman its inevtable that he would getstares, maybe even comments. probably the same as if he was dressed as a banana or a giant squirrel. does this really = *..."phobia"?

Everybody deserves respect and dignity, however they dress. People with what you call "transvestiteism" have a medical condition called "gender dysphoria" which they cannot change or ignore.

These transgender people get ridiculed, verbally assualted and sometimes even physically assaulted just for dressing in a way that expresses their true gender. I would say that constitutes as trans-phobia.
Reply 88
Being opposed to homosexuality doesn't harm anyone just like being for homo.

I'm just saying those opposed are entitled to hold their view but of course shouting abuse is cheap

I was actually referring to acting out as a result of holding a prejudice. Having an opinion is absolutely fine, but I think it is important that we must be open to change our opinions and more importantly we must not act out on them in a negative, or detrimental, way.
Moved to society, and edited the potentially inflammatory title :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by suirrel
Everybody deserves respect and dignity, however they dress. People with what you call "transvestiteism" have a medical condition called "gender dysphoria" which they cannot change or ignore.

These transgender people get ridiculed, verbally assualted and sometimes even physically assaulted just for dressing in a way that expresses their true gender. I would say that constitutes as trans-phobia.

i would query whether theres evidence every single transvestite has a 'medical condition' called gender dysphoria. some just maybe gay men.

regardless what about people who dress up as squirrels, is there also a dysphoria for this? staring at a man who is quite obviously an unconvincing woman is not a 'phobia ' its jsut looking at something that appears odd.
Original post by Marcum
I was actually referring to acting out as a result of holding a prejudice. Having an opinion is absolutely fine, but I think it is important that we must be open to change our opinions and more importantly we must not act out on them in a negative, or detrimental, way.

No, it isn't. It isn't okay to hold the opinion that women should be paid less, that black people should sit in the back of the bus, that interracial marriage is wrong, that gays should not be able to get married. It isn't okay to think that the Taliban killing children is okay or that raping your little sister is okay. So no, having ANY opinion isn't absolutely fine. Some people's opinions aren't acceptable.

'Everybody is entitled to their own opinion' is the worst phrase in the English language.
Original post by The_Internet
No, not necessarily, however people who aren't "in favour of homosexuality" tend to be quite homophobic. On TSR, and both in the real world, you're not allowed to say homophobic thing,because that'd come under a "hate crime"

I'd hate to be gay. You have people saying "It's a choice" when people live in societies that are seriously homophobic. Why would you choose to be gay, if society hates you for it?

So, do you think anyone in this thread has committed a "hate crime" yet?

Why would you choose to be gay? Because it feels good, Internet. It's all about the kicks, no consequences considered.
Original post by Thuggee
i would query whether theres evidence every single transvestite has a 'medical condition' called gender dysphoria. some just maybe gay men.

regardless what about people who dress up as squirrels, is there also a dysphoria for this? staring at a man who is quite obviously an unconvincing woman is not a 'phobia ' its jsut looking at something that appears odd.

The suggestion that people who don't fit some idiotic idea of what men/women should dress like have a medical condition is outrageous. People who hve such views are probably the ones who need a mental evaluation and please tell them not to breed, they might force their sexist and homophobic views on them.
Reply 94
Original post by driftawaay
The suggestion that people who don't fit some idiotic idea of what men/women should dress like have a medical condition is outrageous. People who hve such views are probably the ones who need a mental evaluation and please tell them not to breed, they might force their sexist and homophobic views on them.

dont get this
Original post by Thuggee

Indeed, some people without gender dysphoria dress up as the opposite gender (their sexuality is nothing to do with this...) but they also deserve dignity. It's their choice to dress however they want. I think that some people have strange hair cuts and their fashion sense is weird, but it's rude to stare or comment on how you find their looks unappealing/stupid. Same goes for anybody who dresses in clothes you would say they are the wrong gender for.

Gender dysphoria is a medical condition caused by hormone imbalances in the womb which cause the body to develop differently to the brain so the brain essentially has the wrong "map" for the body is has around it. Some liken it to "phantom limb syndrome" in that there is nothing wrong with the brain, it is simply "mapped" to have a different sex (physical body) than what has developed.

People who dress up as animals are dressing up as animals because they want to. They shouldn't be treated maliciously even if you think they look odd, but they do not have a medical condition.

Anyway, I am aware that TSR is quite prejudiced against the T in LGBT (more so than it is the LGB) and this thread is not about TSR users deciding that the medical world is wrong about transgender people and instead transgender people are just gay men who dress as women.
Original post by HigherMinion
So, do you think anyone in this thread has committed a "hate crime" yet?

Why would you choose to be gay? Because it feels good
, Internet. It's all about the kicks, no consequences considered.

I'd bet money you were sucking dick when you typed that.:h:
Original post by driftawaay

Original post by Thuggee
dont get this

Gender dysphoria and all the issues that come with it causes depression among other things and most people with it want (need) to be treated. It's more than just dressing a certain way - it's about being genuinely and deeply uncomfortable in the sex one was born as, so much so that one desires to live fully as their "true gender" even undergoing medical transition to make their body reflect their true gender.

As I said before, gender dysphoria is more than just wanting to wear another gender's clothes. To pretend that it is sexist (and somehow homophobic, despite sexuality being unrelated to gender dysphoria) is to ignore the discomfort and sadness that people with gender dysphoria endure without treatment or respect.
Original post by suirrel
Indeed, some people without gender dysphoria dress up as the opposite gender (their sexuality is nothing to do with this...) but they also deserve dignity. It's their choice to dress however they want. I think that some people have strange hair cuts and their fashion sense is weird, but it's rude to stare or comment on how you find their looks unappealing/stupid. Same goes for anybody who dresses in clothes you would say they are the wrong gender for.

Actually, screw this sentiment. Completely. You, sir, do not understand how society self-regulates it's culture. Everyone judges everyone; you can't tell us it's wrong to judge others- we all do it. Even those who say "I don't judge", judge those who judge. There's no getting away from it.

People who wear opposite-sex clothes, have Skrillex-esque hair and dye it an unnaturally garish colour, are inviting looks and stares and finger-pointing. It's their raison detre.
Original post by HigherMinion
Actually, screw this sentiment. Completely. You, sir, do not understand how society self-regulates it's culture. Everyone judges everyone; you can't tell us it's wrong to judge others- we all do it. Even those who say "I don't judge", judge those who judge. There's no getting away from it.

People who wear opposite-sex clothes, have Skrillex-esque hair and dye it an unnaturally garish colour, are inviting looks and stares and finger-pointing. It's their raison detre.

It's wrong to express your judgement to someone. You can hold any view you want but when you express it in a way that harms someone else, that is when the line has been crossed and you need to consider whether what you're doing is the kind or correct thing. Accepting of difference (what has the Skrillex haired person ever done to you other than look different?) is a trait that is and should be celebrated in society. Finger point all you want in your head, but keep it there. You wouldn't ridicule someone in a wheelchair, you wouldn't ridicule someone of an ethnic minority, so you shouldn't ridicule those who dress in a way you dislike.

Transgender people are protected from discrimination and prejudice under the law as much as everyone else is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending