The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

I do the aqa course and I was told to round the figure to the same SF as there are in the largest SF numbers given within the question if that helps :smile:
Original post by GeorgiaW1122
I do the aqa course and I was told to round the figure to the same SF as there are in the largest SF numbers given within the question if that helps :smile:

i understand that bit but when in the second part of the question it asks you to use the first answer , do you use the rounded answer or the unrounded answer
I'd use the ungrounded answer as it would signify that you are trying to keep your results as reliable and valid as possible
Original post by chemphys
i understand that bit but when in the second part of the question it asks you to use the first answer , do you use the rounded answer or the unrounded answer

I would do unrounded as it shows u are trying to be the most reliable and accurate that you can :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by GeorgiaW1122
I would do unrounded as it shows u are trying to be the most reliable and accurate that you can :smile:

ok thanks, thats what i have been doing for ages - however , how do you make it clear to the examiner that you are using the unrounded answer
do you just
put something like (0.201...) to show that you are using the whole thing not the rounded answer thanks

Also a friend of mine has suggested that if you carryb through with the full unrounded answer you lose marks as that was not you final answer for part (i) has anyone mentioned that to you thanks
When ever I have been given an equation to do that has multiple steps I have always used the unrounded numbers until the very end where I then round them to the amount of SF in the question and I've always came out with the correct answer

And you could use the ellipsis or you could round it to 3dp or the amount of SF in the given numbers of the question I've never done the ellipsis as it has never been accepted in a final answer but is has during the working out of the final answer
Original post by khushboo1028
Hey!
Can you please tell me how do you do this?
It would be great help!
Thanks a lot:smile:

The answer is C btw but idk how!

I have drawn them out for you! Sorry for the messiness :smile:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429644787.575670.jpg
Edit: the one in the middle has one too many H

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone have access to the June 2014 F321 & F322 papers? I would be very grateful!:smile:
Finally finished making notes all 117 pages of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok thanks, thats what i have been doing for ages - however , how do you make it clear to the examiner that you are using the unrounded answer
do you just
put something like (0.201...) to show that you are using the whole thing not the rounded answer thanks

Also a friend of mine has suggested that if you carryb through with the full unrounded answer you lose marks as that was not you final answer for part (i) has anyone mentioned that to you thanks

I do physics with AQA but they allow using unrounded number for calculations at least for physics
And in my physics ISA my teacher made a note on my table that unrounded value was used for one of the columns in the table. I don't know about chemistry but I don't see why they should be different.

Note to others

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samb1234
Finally finished making notes all 117 pages of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Geez, how long did that take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I do physics with AQA but they allow using unrounded number for calculations at least for physics
And in my physics ISA my teacher made a note on my table that unrounded value was used for one of the columns in the table. I don't know about chemistry but I don't see why they should be different.

Note to others

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Edexcel physics,their coursework is so.nasty ugh.I prob bombed it.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Edexcel physics,their coursework is so.nasty ugh.I prob bombed it.

Coursework is the nastiest of all
I got an A in the physics ISA but my UMS is going to be disappointing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Geez, how long did that take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too long

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Note to others

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you ABSOLUTELY sure becos my next queries were about physics aqa
thanks . so even though it says in the mark scheme e.g. (M1 for their answer to part (i)*2) they acknowledge that the unrounded value is in reference to the same answer .
Thanks again to both you and Georgia for the help sorry for being a pest
Hallo :smile:

Got a question!

are you ABSOLUTELY sure becos my next queries were about physics aqa
thanks . so even though it says in the mark scheme e.g. (M1 for their answer to part (i)*2) they acknowledge that the unrounded value is in reference to the same answer .
Thanks again to both you and Georgia for the help sorry for being a pest

Erm you can ask me about physics AQA but don't ask me for what came up in the ISA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dee .. ♥
Hallo :smile:

Got a question!

Think about what sort of intermolecular force 1-bromobutane can make.
For the second column ask yourself "is 1-bromobutane polar?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must have been at least 20-30 hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest