The Student Room Group

!!! A level choices - Chem or Computer science

Hi guys
i leaning towards doing economics at uni and taking maths, economics and further maths. I don't know whether to choose chem or CS.

Im thinking CS because it does have more practical usage and a computer science degree is still on the corner of my mind (but econ is more prominent). But idk whether it's considered a 'soft' (or non-prefered subject) and as well even for a CS degree its not necessary

I'm aiming to go to a good uni (LSE, UCL ect)

In my mocks i got a 9 in both of them, i had more of an interest of chemistry way before CS.

I would be happy with any advice
thanks
Original post by unaveragestudent
Hi guys
i leaning towards doing economics at uni and taking maths, economics and further maths. I don't know whether to choose chem or CS.

Im thinking CS because it does have more practical usage and a computer science degree is still on the corner of my mind (but econ is more prominent). But idk whether it's considered a 'soft' (or non-prefered subject) and as well even for a CS degree its not necessary

In my mocks i got a 9 in both of them, i had more of an interest of chemistry way before CS.

thanks

With the other 3 subjects you're looking at taking, computer science is the more typical 4th A level. But as you've said even if you want to study computing at university you don't necessarily need the A level. I do chemistry and I'm enjoying it so it's a safer bet if you've liked it for longer. 4 A levels is a lot and it's important to choose ones that you are happy to do for 2 years as you will have less frees for more subjects so you'll have to do a fair bit more revision at home.
Original post by sophier2005
With the other 3 subjects you're looking at taking, computer science is the more typical 4th A level. But as you've said even if you want to study computing at university you don't necessarily need the A level. I do chemistry and I'm enjoying it so it's a safer bet if you've liked it for longer. 4 A levels is a lot and it's important to choose ones that you are happy to do for 2 years as you will have less frees for more subjects so you'll have to do a fair bit more revision at home.

yh i did some more research and found out that 20% of the grade is a long piece of coursework which kind of put me off lol
Reply 3

yh i did some more research and found out that 20% of the grade is a long piece of coursework which kind of put me off lol

Only 20%?! You're lucky! Advanced Higher Computing has a big, long project worth 60% of the grade!
Hi guys

thanks

Hi there,

I'm a 4th year integrated masters mathematics & statistics student at Lancaster University. I took 4 A-Levels (maths, further maths, geography and psychology). My best advice would be to choose whatever you find most interesting as you will be more motivated to study and revise. Just to add, a lot of universities only consider your highest three grades of the four (unless there is a required subject).

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I'm a 4th year integrated masters mathematics & statistics student at Lancaster University. I took 4 A-Levels (maths, further maths, geography and psychology). My best advice would be to choose whatever you find most interesting as you will be more motivated to study and revise. Just to add, a lot of universities only consider your highest three grades of the four (unless there is a required subject).

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂

thanks for the advice
Reply 6
I did both CS and Chem at A Level (AQA), along with Maths, FM (Edexcel) and English Lit. As said above, please pick what you find more interesting because you will be so much more motivated in it and find it far easier in the long run. However, if you do want some pros and cons, here are some things to consider (I was a pretty academic student so this is as honest as I can be about how I found the content in both).

Pros for CS

Fits in very logically with Maths and FM content - some of the topics I covered in CS like the dot product etc were covered in much more depth in maths which made them extremely simple in CS.

Not the biggest step up from GCSE - whilst it covers more complex content and has a wider syllabus, all of it is relevant to the concepts you learned before and doesn't usually come out of left field. The people who found A Level CS more difficult in my class were those who hadn't done the GCSE and hence weren't as aware of some topics when they came up in the A Level.

Incredibly satisfying - when CS concepts click, they CLICK. It was a lot of fun learning about stuff like boolean algebra, and going through a problem and watching as it slowly unfolds logically. Kind of like a maths problem when it slowly clicks together to get the correct answer.

Cons for CS

The project is long and quite a bit of work to get a top grade. It tends to rely on report writing skill rather than the actual code you write though, and has prepared me well for university report writing.

The project is also the only practical bit, and some of the theory in CS can feel a bit maths heavy and, well, boring. You quickly learn what you enjoy and what you don't, and if you love to code, you won't exactly be doing too much of it, apart from the occasional programming project-focused lesson.

Sometimes, CS teachers can suck. I was fortunate enough to have some great teachers that made my passion for the subject grow - but a lot of my friends HATED computing. These people were either starting from scratch or just generally didn't like the subject but were somehow made to pick it. If you enjoy it, it'll be great - but if you don't, or have not-so-good teachers, it will be PAIN.

Pros for Chem

Has plenty of practicals that are really fun to do, and actually consolidate the topics you've learned unlike GCSE. Writing reports for each practical was especially fun and made a lot of sense each time.

Very well documented - websites like chemrevise are your saviour, and whilst CS has Isaac Computer Science and stuff like that, chemrevise is a holy grail that will explain entire topics to you on concise sheets that make them click instantly. Chem is a much higher profile A Level in terms of how many students take it, and you'll be able to get a lot more help from websites and resources that are tailored to A Level content and its difficulty, compared to CS concepts which may put you at a higher level or might be less reliable as sources go.

Chemistry throws you in the deep end and, for me, was the subject that really reflected how hard uni was going to be and has made me less of a fish out of water here. I now do a course that's very focused on learning independently and I have Chem to thank for teaching me how I learn best, where to look for help and how to optimise my revision.

Cons for Chem

Didn't link to any of my subjects content wise - the work that I did for Chemistry was completely separate to every other A Level I had. If CS and Maths were sometimes useful for each other, Chemistry didn't help make my other subjects easier and vice versa.

I found the content to be a massive step-up from GCSE. GCSE was very logical and easy to think through, but A Level not only had so much more content, but also didn't typically feed into other modules. Organic, physical and nonphysical were pretty separate and the concepts in each were different and difficult each way, but at GCSE, a concept you learned in an earlier module would usually help make sense of a later module etc.

Chem involved a lot of memorisation compared to my other subjects. You need to memorise how to draw mechanisms for the exam, plenty of formulas and equations, methods, and reactions. This can get very complicated for organic chemistry especially - in my class you either loved organic and hated physical, or hated organic and loved physical. For someone with a good memory it's a lot of fun though, and when it clicks, it's very satisfying!

Hope all this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending