The Student Room Group

Biochemistry at University

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into what a biochemistry course is like at uni? Obviously all unis have slightly different courses and I can easily look into each curriculum etc… but I wanted an opinion from someone who has done or is doing said course. For a long time I have been planning on doing a medicine degree but after some long thought, I have begun to consider other options because I am not sure it’s what I truly want, any advice on how to decide aswell? Thanks - Sophie (Yr12)
Hi @Sophie Warman I am not at uni but you can take a look at this on UCAS: Search - UCAS and you can see what courses involve. Alternatively, here is a Google search: biochemistry degree - Google Search Also, you're in Year 12, so it's still early days - but decide whether you might want to do Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences? :smile: Thanks, Emmanuella
Original post by emm4nuella
Hi @Sophie Warman I am not at uni but you can take a look at this on UCAS: Search - UCAS and you can see what courses involve. Alternatively, here is a Google search: biochemistry degree - Google Search Also, you're in Year 12, so it's still early days - but decide whether you might want to do Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences? :smile: Thanks, Emmanuella

Thank you ever so much, I will take a look at those websites and also might do a bit of research into the differences between biochemistry and biomedical sciences - I know they’re a bit different but my knowledge on why is a bit cloudy. Thank you so much! 😊
Original post by Sophie Warman
Thank you ever so much, I will take a look at those websites and also might do a bit of research into the differences between biochemistry and biomedical sciences - I know they’re a bit different but my knowledge on why is a bit cloudy. Thank you so much! 😊

no problem! :smile: have you considered starting a grow your grades blog? ❤️
Hi
I'm in my first year doing biochem at Sheffield
Only one of my moduels is actually called biochemistry there are others linked like molecular and cell and genetics etc. Let me know if you have any specific questions

no problem! :smile: have you considered starting a grow your grades blog? ❤️

I haven’t! What exactly is that if you don’t mind me asking? 🙂
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi
I'm in my first year doing biochem at Sheffield
Only one of my moduels is actually called biochemistry there are others linked like molecular and cell and genetics etc. Let me know if you have any specific questions

Thank you for your help, is this what you were expecting when you went into the course or was it more ‘biology-heavy’ as opposed to chemistry than you expected? :smile:
I haven’t! What exactly is that if you don’t mind me asking? 🙂

hiya you can read all about it here: Grow Your Grades 2023 - 2024! - The Student Room :biggrin:

hiya you can read all about it here: Grow Your Grades 2023 - 2024! - The Student Room :biggrin:

Perfect! Thank you again 😄
Thank you for your help, is this what you were expecting when you went into the course or was it more ‘biology-heavy’ as opposed to chemistry than you expected? :smile:

So for me I wanted one that was more biology based than chemistry based,
There were two things that helped me pick which was reading the moduel descritptions as some unis had modules that were called inorganic chemistry ect and I knew I didn't want to go down that course.
I would also reccomend looking at entry requriements as for my course biology is required and chemistry is reccomend. Whilst I wouldn't reccomend doing biochemistry without chemistry as lots of the chemistry knowledge has come up it helped demonstrate that the course wouldn't be as chemistry based as others that were avaliable

Most if not all biochemistry courses are in the school of biosciences rather than the chemistry demartment and I haven't found one where there is more chemistry than biology however some are more of an equal split but if your looking for chemistry based degree it might not be the right one but if you wanted a mixed one then might be good
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Jess_Lomas

So for me I wanted one that was more biology based than chemistry based,
There were two things that helped me pick which was reading the moduel descritptions as some unis had modules that were called inorganic chemistry ect and I knew I didn't want to go down that course.
I would also reccomend looking at entry requriements as for my course biology is required and chemistry is reccomend. Whilst I wouldn't reccomend doing biochemistry without chemistry as lots of the chemistry knowledge has come up it helped demonstrate that the course wouldn't be as chemistry based as others that were avaliable

Most if not all biochemistry courses are in the school of biosciences rather than the chemistry demartment and I haven't found one where there is more chemistry than biology however some are more of an equal split but if your looking for chemistry based degree it might not be the right one but if you wanted a mixed one then might be good

Thank you ever so much, this is really helpful and I will look into some different courses - I think I’m looking for a roughly equal split at the moment and so this is fab! Thanks
Thank you ever so much, this is really helpful and I will look into some different courses - I think I’m looking for a roughly equal split at the moment and so this is fab! Thanks

Hey @Sophie Warman

I'm a third year biochemistry student at Lancaster (currently on a placement year). Biochemistry is definitely mostly a bioscience degree. When I was applying a lot of universities I looked at either had no chemistry modules, or like one a year called "chemistry for biochemists", so definitely have a look at the module options at different universities.

I actually chose Lancaster due to the amount of chemistry I had the option to do, as I loved both biology and chemistry at A levels. I took a lot of chemistry modules in first year, alongside chemistry and natural science students, and I feel like they were really helpful for me - especially as I want to work in drug discovery and structural biology in the future. Lancaster also offers other "pathways" in it's biochemistry course too, which affect some of the core modules you take. I'll link the degree page below in case you'd like to have a look and I recommend having a look at the bioscience course guide for more information on the modules available on each pathway.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biochemistry-bsc-hons-c700/2024/#overview
Course guide is on this page: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/biosciences/

However, despite my first year having a lot of chemistry, from 2nd year onwards my degree was very biology based with fewer chemistry modules, and the modules available are more focussed on chemistry applicable to biology e.g. analytical chemistry, spectroscopy, biomedical imaging.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to help!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
This is ever so helpful Rebecca - I have been looking quite thoroughly at courses but obviously it’s really hard to tell what the course will turn out to be like until you are doing it. I adore both biology and chemistry (hence why I have looked into Biochemistry) but it’s the modules that interest me most. I am particularly enamoured by molecules, structure and bonding in chemistry and much to do with genetics and DNA replication, enzymes and biological molecules so I am looking into degrees that focus on most of those - I will definitely look into that website you linked because I think it could be very beneficial for me. Thank you ever so much!
This is ever so helpful Rebecca - I have been looking quite thoroughly at courses but obviously it’s really hard to tell what the course will turn out to be like until you are doing it. I adore both biology and chemistry (hence why I have looked into Biochemistry) but it’s the modules that interest me most. I am particularly enamoured by molecules, structure and bonding in chemistry and much to do with genetics and DNA replication, enzymes and biological molecules so I am looking into degrees that focus on most of those - I will definitely look into that website you linked because I think it could be very beneficial for me. Thank you ever so much!

We definitely share some similar interests then! My favourite part of biochemistry is proteins, and recently I've been super interested looking at their structure and interactions in terms of small molecule drug development. I'm going to quickly use this as a chance to recommend you consider applying for a degree with a placement year - the year in industry learning from scientists out of university is so interesting and you can always opt out after you've joined the university if you decide against it later on.

Good luck with your research and future applications!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador

We definitely share some similar interests then! My favourite part of biochemistry is proteins, and recently I've been super interested looking at their structure and interactions in terms of small molecule drug development. I'm going to quickly use this as a chance to recommend you consider applying for a degree with a placement year - the year in industry learning from scientists out of university is so interesting and you can always opt out after you've joined the university if you decide against it later on.

Good luck with your research and future applications!

That will certainly be something for me to consider! I will have a think on that - Thank you again!

Note that in the UK biochemistry is not a degree in "biology and chemistry" - it's a degree in molecular and cell biology and biochemistry. It's very much fully a bioscience degree at almost every uni. The only actual chemistry is usually a couple of modules in first year at most unis.

There are a couple exceptions (Oxford I believe is more chemistry heavy, and Cambridge through the natsci course allows you to do a fair bit of chemistry in the first two years) but on the whole if your interest is in a broadly 50-50 split between biology and chemistry, you would be best off looking at natural sciences courses or joint honours degrees in biology/biochemistry/etc and chemistry!
That’s very insightful, thank you, fortunately I have started looking relatively early so I don’t have to make a rushed decision and can definitely thing about those others that you mentioned as well as biochemistry! Thanks
I was wondering if anyone has any insight into what a biochemistry course is like at uni? Obviously all unis have slightly different courses and I can easily look into each curriculum etc… but I wanted an opinion from someone who has done or is doing said course. For a long time I have been planning on doing a medicine degree but after some long thought, I have begun to consider other options because I am not sure it’s what I truly want, any advice on how to decide aswell? Thanks - Sophie (Yr12)

Hi so I did a biochemistry degree and am now doing medicine. It depends on where you study but my course was majorly focused on biology and there was 1 chemistry module a year. When I say biology I mean molecular biology, cell signalling, immunology, gene regulation, pathogenesis related to issues with pathways etc. Biochemistry is highly rewarding and the best science (obviously I’m biased). It depends what you want tho as mentioned some places will be heavy biochemistry, with a dominant focus on chemistry and structural studies (so in silico protein modelling, etc). Look through course spec before you apply. My medicine degree first semester was practically the same as my first year Biochem tho. Bit more physiology focused with separate clinics skills lectures.
I should mention, the level of chemistry never exceeded a level with biochemistry. I was at Manchester, I loved organic chem in school which is why I took it. Ultimately you will do organic chem. pure chemistry at uni is highly mathematical, depends how your brain works. I would not recommend doing Biomed, you’ll learn more on a Biochem degree and tbh if you decide to do med later both are equally as applicable.
Original post by MustStudyMed
I should mention, the level of chemistry never exceeded a level with biochemistry. I was at Manchester, I loved organic chem in school which is why I took it. Ultimately you will do organic chem. pure chemistry at uni is highly mathematical, depends how your brain works. I would not recommend doing Biomed, you’ll learn more on a Biochem degree and tbh if you decide to do med later both are equally as applicable.

Thank you, initially I looked into chemistry as a degree but my brain is not wired mathematically - I am secure at maths I’d say but I don’t want to risk falling behind or shooting myself in the foot by choosing a highly numerically-based course. Biochemistry does sound interesting because by the sounds of it I can revise my a-level course and learn more biologically to support my prior knowledge of both subjects. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending