The Student Room Group

32 bit OS and RAM limit

Hello all,

I've been noticing some lag with my laptop recently which led me to consider getting some more RAM for my computer. When I investigated further I noticed my computer was only running a 32 bit version of Windows 7 which, if I understand correctly, means that the 4GB of RAM I have in my computer is the maximum I can have installed which means installing more is completely pointless as it won't get used. This has somewhat irritated me as I believe my laptop is meant to be pretty good - it's got an i7 and SSD so should be performing quickly. As I understand it, the 32 bit version of windows 7 is what's really holding me back.

So anyway, firstly - am I correct with all of that? If so, is there any way I can go about upgrading to a 64 bit without losing all of my install etc.? I like how I've got my computer set up and frankly it's a lot of hassle to re-format windows!! Is there anything else I should be checking before wiping everything and starting again? Or is there any way I can use more than 4GB ram without changing anything?

I am doing a GIS MSc and in a couple of weeks we are starting actually using ArcGIS so I want to make sure my computer is running quickly and effectively before lectures start so all help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by hothedgehog
Hello all,

I've been noticing some lag with my laptop recently which led me to consider getting some more RAM for my computer. When I investigated further I noticed my computer was only running a 32 bit version of Windows 7 which, if I understand correctly, means that the 4GB of RAM I have in my computer is the maximum I can have installed which means installing more is completely pointless as it won't get used. This has somewhat irritated me as I believe my laptop is meant to be pretty good - it's got an i7 and SSD so should be performing quickly. As I understand it, the 32 bit version of windows 7 is what's really holding me back.

So anyway, firstly - am I correct with all of that? If so, is there any way I can go about upgrading to a 64 bit without losing all of my install etc.? I like how I've got my computer set up and frankly it's a lot of hassle to re-format windows!! Is there anything else I should be checking before wiping everything and starting again? Or is there any way I can use more than 4GB ram without changing anything?

I am doing a GIS MSc and in a couple of weeks we are starting actually using ArcGIS so I want to make sure my computer is running quickly and effectively before lectures start so all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

To an extent...................basically 32bit limits the system to less than 4gb of ram........i think its like 3.25gb is actually usable.
Original post by Iqbal007
To an extent...................basically 32bit limits the system to less than 4gb of ram........i think its like 3.25gb is actually usable.

Yes but you can't go installing 3.25GB of ram can you??!
Reply 3
For most stuff 4GB of RAM is likely to be more than enough. You may want to look through the system and clean out things you don't use (especially stuff that starts on boot that you don't need) and ensure the drives aren't too full (anything over 80% used will start slowing things down). Also cleaning out any dust from inside the machine could help with performance (if the system detects it's getting too hot it will start throttling itself).

If you want more than 4GB of ram you'll need to re-install windows with a 64 bit version (some other OSes have extensions to allow more than 4GB on a 32 bit system but I don't think windows 7 has that). You may find a re-install speeds things up anyway as it will clear out lots of old stuff thats not needed any more.
Yes but you can't go installing 3.25GB of ram can you??!

Nope....hence why people install 4gb so computer uses only up to that specific amount.

Pretty sure there's a way to upgrade your current OS to 64bit while maintaining your data. Also make sure you download the latest compatible drivers to install straight after.
Hello all,

Why on Earth are you running an i7 with Windows x86? Mental! :lol:

You're going to have to format and reinstall an x64 build I'm afraid. I really wouldn't recommend trying to do an OS upgrade to 64 bit. :nope:

More worringley though is that you report poor performance on this system. It shouldn't perform badly at all, even with an x86 OS. Hopefully a format will fix this, but if not, do let us know. I presume you've done a virus / malware scan on your current configuration?

Finally, everything you have supposed in the OP is correct - RAM limits and whatnot. :yep:
Original post by mikeyd85
Why on Earth are you running an i7 with Windows x86? Mental! :lol:

You're going to have to format and reinstall an x64 build I'm afraid. I really wouldn't recommend trying to do an OS upgrade to 64 bit. :nope:

More worringley though is that you report poor performance on this system. It shouldn't perform badly at all, even with an x86 OS. Hopefully a format will fix this, but if not, do let us know. I presume you've done a virus / malware scan on your current configuration?

Finally, everything you have supposed in the OP is correct - RAM limits and whatnot. :yep:

It was just preinstalled when I got it - to be honest, I presumed that it was going to be the 64bit version and I have only just noticed it isn't. But anyway, it's not the end of the world, the laptop was a steal (you'd still be hard pressed to beat it a year on) it's just a bit of a hassle.

Yes, I've done the normal checks for viruses, keep it fairly clean in terms of what software I have installed and keep the start-up processes trimmed down to necessary.

Thanks for your confirmation. Time for a disappointing re-install!
It was just preinstalled when I got it - to be honest, I presumed that it was going to be the 64bit version and I have only just noticed it isn't. But anyway, it's not the end of the world, the laptop was a steal (you'd still be hard pressed to beat it a year on) it's just a bit of a hassle.

Yes, I've done the normal checks for viruses, keep it fairly clean in terms of what software I have installed and keep the start-up processes trimmed down to necessary.

Thanks for your confirmation. Time for a disappointing re-install!

How did it go? Is everything working as it should now?
Original post by mikeyd85
How did it go? Is everything working as it should now?

Haven't done it yet, that's a job for next week. I have 2 essays due in on Monday so now is not the time to be fiddling with my computer! 64 bit disk is ready and waiting though!
Odd that it would be lagging even with 4GB of RAM.
A fresh install of Windows is always the better option as it clears up any nasty programs and malware that could be lurking in the background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending