The Student Room Group

which laptop should i buy?

I'm in 6th form currently and am looking for a laptop that will survive with me during university. I only use my laptop to study, watch films and play roblox/mc. The laptop i currently use the the Lenovo ideapad U330 touch (yes old ik) but it runs decently, it's fast enough to load pages up and runs roblox and mc nicely (good enough for me).

My problem is that the hardware is ****, my screen is cracked, hinger broken i mean it's coming off (i did buy it 2nd hand) within 1 yr of using it which compared to my HP which lasted 7 yrs, im not happy ab it.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap laptop (i am aware its hard finding a good cheap laptop but i'm a broke 6th form students and expected to pay for my own laptop). Any laptop that's:

slim (i just dont wanna carry a massive bookshelf with me ygm)

small (i understand it'll be pricier)

can run roblox and mc and other app decently (doesn't need to be SUPER good, average is fine)

will last me minimum 2-3 yrs

Will do for me. I've found some laptops but they're like over £450/500 and I was hoping (even if it means i'd have to sacrifice some of my requirements) id find one within £200-400.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't lecture me on how it's impossible because i've seen some redditors who have bought gaming laptops for cheap (not rly looking for a gaming laptop doe).

Just any reccs is appreciated.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by limbobimbo
I'm in 6th form currently and am looking for a laptop that will survive with me during university. I only use my laptop to study, watch films and play roblox/mc. The laptop i currently use the the Lenovo ideapad U330 touch (yes old ik) but it runs decently, it's fast enough to load pages up and runs roblox and mc nicely (good enough for me).
My problem is that the hardware is ****, my screen is cracked, hinger broken i mean it's coming off (i did buy it 2nd hand) within 1 yr of using it which compared to my HP which lasted 7 yrs, im not happy ab it.
I'm looking for a relatively cheap laptop (i am aware its hard finding a good cheap laptop but i'm a broke 6th form students and expected to pay for my own laptop). Any laptop that's:

can run roblox and mc and other app decently (doesn't need to be SUPER good, average is fine)

Will do for me. I've found some laptops but they're like over £450/500 and I was hoping (even if it means i'd have to sacrifice some of my requirements) id find one within £200-400.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't lecture me on how it's impossible because i've seen some redditors who have bought gaming laptops for cheap (not rly looking for a gaming laptop doe).

Hi. I have a chromebook which I heavily use and have had it for about four years and they are amazing and good price, would recommend this. X
Reply 2
Original post by Unknown123Unkn..
Hi. I have a chromebook which I heavily use and have had it for about four years and they are amazing and good price, would recommend this. X

Which model is it?
Reply 3

HP 17-cn0532na 17.3" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 128 GB SSD, Silver
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-17cn0532na-17.3-laptop-intel-core-i3-128-gb-ssd-silver-10251733.html

Windows 11 S
Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 128 GB SSD
Full HD screen
Battery life: Up to 8 hours

Product information
Product code: 597581

Tackle your workload on the road with this HP laptop. The 11th gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor has the power to handle Office apps and video calls fuss-free. You'll have enough room for multitasking on the 17.3" Full HD screen. And with up to 8 hours of battery life you can go around without the charger most of the day - and when you charge, you'll get 50% in about 45 minutes thanks to HP Fast Charge. Good to know - There's 128 GB of SSD storage, giving you speedy access to all your essentials - You're all sorted for ports, with USB-A, USB-C, and HDMI all on board - The HD webcam and dual array mics are perfect for video calls _______________________________________________________________ Intel, the Intel logo, Celeron, Intel Atom, Intel Core, Intel. Experience What's Inside, Intel Inside, the Intel Inside logo, Intel Unite, Iris, Pentium, Thunderbolt, the Thunderbolt logo, and Ultrabook are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Reply 4
Original post by Matadd
HP 17-cn0532na 17.3" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 128 GB SSD, Silver
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-17cn0532na-17.3-laptop-intel-core-i3-128-gb-ssd-silver-10251733.html
Windows 11 S
Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 128 GB SSD
Full HD screen
Battery life: Up to 8 hours
Product information
Product code: 597581
Tackle your workload on the road with this HP laptop. The 11th gen Intel® Core™ i3 processor has the power to handle Office apps and video calls fuss-free. You'll have enough room for multitasking on the 17.3" Full HD screen. And with up to 8 hours of battery life you can go around without the charger most of the day - and when you charge, you'll get 50% in about 45 minutes thanks to HP Fast Charge. Good to know - There's 128 GB of SSD storage, giving you speedy access to all your essentials - You're all sorted for ports, with USB-A, USB-C, and HDMI all on board - The HD webcam and dual array mics are perfect for video calls _______________________________________________________________ Intel, the Intel logo, Celeron, Intel Atom, Intel Core, Intel. Experience What's Inside, Intel Inside, the Intel Inside logo, Intel Unite, Iris, Pentium, Thunderbolt, the Thunderbolt logo, and Ultrabook are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Tysm but i3 is olddd 💕😭
Reply 5
refurbished asus vivobook 15
i5, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd, iris xe graphics (gets 60fps in minecraft), £325

A laptop i'd recommend is the MacBook Pro! My friend has used it for school for a few years already, and it's still in good condition.
Reply 7

hi
this laptop: ASUS Vivobook 15 seems like an okay laptop. Its 370£ at Curry's. Can I ask what you're potentially going to study at uni? Also, I heard that the surface laptops are good but you can buy it refurbished which costs around 350£+
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 8
Original post by A.111
hi
this laptop: ASUS Vivobook 15 seems like an okay laptop. Its 370£ at Curry's. Can I ask what you're potentially going to study at uni? Also, I heard that the surface laptops are good but you can buy it refurbished which costs around 350£+

MPharm so hopefully nothing tht requires me 2 use my laptop too much
Reply 9
MPharm so hopefully nothing tht requires me 2 use my laptop too much
I would personally recommend a Mac but I understand that it's a lot of money to spend on a laptop espesically if you are buying it yourself. quick question, do you need it rn for sixth form or when uni starts? I think the Microsoft surface laptops are good. The Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop seems good too and it's £400.
Original post by A.111
I would personally recommend a Mac but I understand that it's a lot of money to spend on a laptop espesically if you are buying it yourself. quick question, do you need it rn for sixth form or when uni starts? I think the Microsoft surface laptops are good. The Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop seems good too and it's £400.

Ooo
Reply 11
Tysm but i3 is olddd 💕😭
if you put more money then you can buy a batter laptop and more powerful
one
Original post by Matadd
if you put more money then you can buy a batter laptop and more powerful
one

Thanks, per someone elses advice i think imma buy the HP elitebook 830 G7

Quick Reply

Latest