The Student Room Group

Help needed.urgent!

Hey
how do you do q12 iii) on this as maths paper?http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/June13/C1_2013_June.pdf
Original post by Emerald123
Hey
how do you do q12 iii) on this as maths paper?http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/June13/C1_2013_June.pdf

What have you tried? It's similar to part ii) of that question.
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
What have you tried? It's similar to part ii) of that question.

i have tried everything!NOTHING works to get to the answer(scroll down to see the answer).I got everything correct apart from that silly question!:frown:
i have tried everything!NOTHING works to get to the answer(scroll down to see the answer).I got everything correct apart from that silly question!:frown:

Presumably you've already got that you need to equate x+k-x+k with 1x2\dfrac{1}{x-2}?
Reply 4
Presumably you've already got that you need to equate x+k-x+k with 1x2\dfrac{1}{x-2}?

yh i have done that and have got x^2-X(K+2)+2k+1=0
Reply 5
what shall i do next?confused
Reply 6

the answers k=0 or 4 but how did they get that?
yh i have done that and have got x^2-X(K+2)+2k+1=0

This is correct. So (to answer the first part of q12 iii), what are the x-coordinates of the points of intersection?
Reply 8
This is correct. So (to answer the first part of q12 iii), what are the x-coordinates of the points of intersection?

its a fraction
y = 1/x-2 and y = - x + k .
its a fraction
y = 1/x-2 and y = - x + k .

Those are the two equations of the curves. What are the x-coordinates of the intersections of those two curves, given that you've already found that they obey x2x(k+2)+2k+1=0x^2-x(k+2)+2k+1=0?
Reply 10
Those are the two equations of the curves. What are the x-coordinates of the intersections of those two curves, given that you've already found that they obey x2x(k+2)+2k+1=0x^2-x(k+2)+2k+1=0?

its a quadratic
1+-root57/4
its a quadratic
1+-root57/4

Your roots need to be depending on k somehow. How did you get that answer?

Quick Reply

Latest