The Student Room Group

Lost in uni

Does anyone just feel so lost in uni. It's too late for me to drop out given I invested so much already, and too late to transfer to another subject.
I don't feel like I'm progressing anywhere, I find the content almost undoable and so difficult that I don't even know if I will end up graduating with a degree good enough for most corporate jobs. I hardly have time to go out and be social because of how much I'm spending trying to understand content.
I can't defer or take a gap year nor drop out and start a new course because I lose my scholarship and I literally cannot afford to live without my scholarships.
I've entered such a bad mental state and have had to enrol myself into counselling which is hardly helping.
Nobody talks about this and I lowkey feel so alone and I don't know if this is something only a few people go through but I just really really need some advice.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does anyone just feel so lost in uni. It's too late for me to drop out given I invested so much already, and too late to transfer to another subject.
I don't feel like I'm progressing anywhere, I find the content almost undoable and so difficult that I don't even know if I will end up graduating with a degree good enough for most corporate jobs. I hardly have time to go out and be social because of how much I'm spending trying to understand content.
I can't defer or take a gap year nor drop out and start a new course because I lose my scholarship and I literally cannot afford to live without my scholarships.
I've entered such a bad mental state and have had to enrol myself into counselling which is hardly helping.
Nobody talks about this and I lowkey feel so alone and I don't know if this is something only a few people go through but I just really really need some advice.
Hi,

I am really sorry to hear you are going through a tough time?

Which course are you studying? Posting to ask for tips or looking at other threads where there are tips about your subject may help with the academic side of things. It might also be helpful to talk to your academic advisor as they can signpost you in the right places to help with coursework and content.

On the wellbeing side of things it is great that you have reached out and are now getting counselling. DO you have any hobbies that bring you joy? Sometimes when things get too much with the workload I neglect the things that bring me joy and this makes things a lot more harder for myself. I would say dedicate a set amount of time each day to doing these things. Also, having a routine helps some people so they do not have to worry about their day to day tasks as much.

I hope this helps and whilst I understand there is no answer or an overnight fix, I hope you get the support you need overtime and things eventually improve.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear you have been going through a tough time. I would recommend if you can to contact your personal tutor if you have one and ask if you can arrange a meeting with them. They will be able to talk to you about how you are feeling and give you some advice and point you in the right direction of some help.

I would also talk to your module tutors about the areas that you are really struggling with as they should be able to help you with this and any questions that you may have. They are sometimes quite busy but they may be able to find time to help you, either over an email or in class. They may even arrange a meeting with you if they can and this may help you to understand the content a bit more.

It's good you have enrolled in counselling as this will help you and may help you to make a decision about what to do next.

I hope some of this helps and you get the support you need,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hey,

Sorry to hear that you've had such a tough time at university so far, but it's great that you have the self-awareness to know you need support and have enrolled yourself into counselling. Definitely read up on whatever mental health resources your university offers and make full use of them, even if you're not sure they're helping in the short-term.

If your lecturers/course tutors have office hours, I'd recommend making full use of them - drop them an email saying you'd like to go over some of the course material, and ask if they're available for a chat at any point in the near future. Most lecturers I've come across have been really accommodating with students who genuinely do want to learn and do their best, so don't hesitate to ask.

I'd also get in contact with any Academic Support services your university offers, as well as the university Careers Team. They'll be able to advise on feasible job options post-university, which might give you a better idea of how you can use your degree to its fullest, no matter what classification it is.

Do you have any coursemates who could be experiencing a similar problem, or anyone you're particularly close to on your course? If so, studying as a pair/group might help you - coursemates might be able to help explain any tricky concepts to you and you could work through any tough assignments or material together.

Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending