The Student Room Group

Anxiety

Hi my name is Kelsey and I'm planning to start university in September. However I suffer from anxiety and frequent panic attacks around new people and my biggest worry is that I won't make any friends because of this. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or something on how to deal with this and how to make uni life a little easier. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! :smile: :wavey:

I have no experience of uni yet (just college!) but I have anxiety and panic attacks quite frequently too. So feel free to ignore this... :tongue:
For me, the difference between how people treated me and the anxiety was HUGE between school and college. People at college were so much more understanding and less judgemental than the folk I went to school with! :smile: Dont know if it was a maturity thing, or if I just went to school with the wrong folk. :tongue:
Also, I got a lot more help from the college than I got from school. Things like meeting with a mentor regularly, the lecturers knowing that I sometimes had to leave the room, and having a plan of where to go/ who to speak to if things got overwhelming. :smile:
All the best for September! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying! I get what you mean, I just freak out a lot when I'm in a new area around crowds of new people and that tends to bring on my panic attacks and as universities are so much bigger than schools/colleges I'm worried about how I'll feel in the new environment. Thank you for your help though! I hope you have a great time when you go to uni! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are suffering from social anxiety, but you do not have to worry as there are anxiety medications which can treat such issues completely.

Quick Reply

Latest