The Student Room Group

Half of global wealth held by 1% of the population

Scroll to see replies

Fwiw "the BBC's head of statistics, Anthony Reuben, said in order to be part of the wealthiest 1% of the world's population, an individual would need to be worth just over half a million pounds."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30875633
Reply 21
Original post by Queen Cersei
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/19/global-wealth-oxfam-inequality-davos-economic-summit-switzerland

I know that this stat comes out a lot but this is just ridiculous. It's crazy to think that a tiny few people could probably put a stop to world hunger if they weren't so greedy and selfish.

Typical left wing propaganda
The world does not work on these ridiculous ideals IMHO
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/19/global-wealth-oxfam-inequality-davos-economic-summit-switzerland

I know that this stat comes out a lot but this is just ridiculous. It's crazy to think that a tiny few people could probably put a stop to world hunger if they weren't so greedy and selfish.

Or another way of looking at it, they're the successful
Ones running the company's that employ people.

Richest people in the UK.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/nation/britains-10-richest-billionaires-in-2014/10/

Hardly sitting back and living off the interest from a bank account.
Reply 23

Why should only the 1% help, their money they can spend it what ever way they like, rather we should all help to eliminate world hunger.
Probably most of them are Saudis and the international banking elite...before any white bashing.
Simple, do as the Tea Party suggests, cut taxes, reduce the power of the state and allow everyone the fundamental right of gun ownership.

Without the oppressive arm of governments and their taxpayer funded law enforcement agencies the 99% will take what is rightfully theirs through the barrel of a gun.
Original post by Quady
Hang on, so as soon as you find out the top 1% may well include you in the future, it's no longer so outrageous and it's suddenly anot even smaller group that are the real problem? How handy...

The reason perhaps nothing gets done illustrated quite quickly :redface:
Original post by Quady
Hang on, so as soon as you find out the top 1% may well include you in the future, it's no longer so outrageous and it's suddenly anot even smaller group that are the real problem? How handy...

Spot on. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Woah...the backlash at misunderstanding an article... no need to bite my head off! :s-smilie:
Original post by Good bloke
Well, no. Your thread title tells us exactly who you meant - the top 1% in the world. Middle class UK residents. You should think things through a bit more, and know something about the subject, before posting nonsense.

It was quite clearly a misunderstanding, given the clarification later. It actually does bring about quite an interesting issue though, once people stop jumping on the initial mistake.

Original post by Quady

It doesn't seem a particularly out there notion that the richest 85 could make more difference than someone on 25k could. But that's also not the same as saying it's not outrageous and the top 1% shouldn't do some thing, that seems a bit of a leap.
Original post by shadowdweller
It was quite clearly a misunderstanding, given the clarification later.

And we simply pointed out the misunderstanding. It was a pretty fundamental one, mind. And it resulted in the OP describing half the country, probably including her own near relatives, as selfish and greedy.

It doesn't seem a particularly out there notion that the richest 85 could make more difference than someone on 25k could.

This ignores the fact that the super-rich are mainly industrialists who, by owning large companies around the world, are already providing employment to huge numbers - thereby doing their share. And that many of them are already involved, like Bill Gates and Richard Branson, in massive charitable endeavour.

But that's also not the same as saying it's not outrageous and the top 1% shouldn't do some thing, that seems a bit of a leap

I'd take considerable convincing that many of those in the top 1% in the UK, for instance, really have the wherewithal to stop poverty around the world, or even to dent it. These statistics, as was pointed out earlier, take no account of the cost of living in each country and I imagine few people living in London who earn that amount have any cash to spare.

In fact, this publicity seems to be the product of someone's bright idea of shaming people into giving money they don't have, or to prejudicing the poor against their ultimate employers.
Original post by Rakas21
Poor countries often have themselves to blame. Look at the number of countries who went soviet after the war while the west streaked ahead.

I aspire to be part of this 1% and stay there.

lol i don't think they really had a say in the matter
who doesn't want to be rich?
i think the op should have said the 0.1 percent not the 1 percent
Reply 32
Original post by shadowdweller
It was quite clearly a misunderstanding, given the clarification later. It actually does bring about quite an interesting issue though, once people stop jumping on the initial mistake.

It doesn't seem a particularly out there notion that the richest 85 could make more difference than someone on 25k could. But that's also not the same as saying it's not outrageous and the top 1% shouldn't do some thing, that seems a bit of a leap.

How much more could Buffet and Gates do? :s-smilie:
Lol. The word rich doesn't mean happy.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Quady
How much more could Buffet and Gates do? :s-smilie:

they have already done so much :redface:
Reply 35

Unfortunately, I was unsurprised when I saw this headline, even though when you think about it, it's quite horrendous and, for me, highlights how primitive Human society still is.

We ought to be able to see past possessions, material goods and our greed, and try to better ourselves and humanity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending