The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- Titration Coursework...

Hello.

In a few days i have my first AS Chemistry Coursework practical exam.

However, i need to write a plan before i can do the experiment, this plan will be done in school.

Could you tell me what this involves? I don't mean exactly, but what 'stuff' needs learning?

Also, if anyone has done this practical coursework exam before, how do you get started?! Do you get told: "Work out the concentration of an acid using the reaction between x and y"?

What values will you be given at the start of the practical, will you be told certain concentrations/volumes etc?

As you've probably noticed, i am unsure as to what needs to be learnt/done, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Anyone have anything to add?!
I would recommend posting this in the Chemistry forum :smile:

Just go in AAM and ask to get it moved :smile:
Reply 3
Alot of help is usually given for these practical assessments and infact most schools/colleges do practice ones before the real one so you know what to expect. The plan is generally just writing down the apparatus list, reagents, hazards and precautions and a step by step account of how you are going to carry out the experiment with necessary equations outlined. I find it one of the easiest bits of any chem practical.
Reply 4
Basically, right.. you need
-the equation for the reaction to tell you how many moles of one substance react with how many moles of another substance

-a known concentration of one substance for example and acid

- good grounding about moles = concentration x volume in dm^3, always convert any volume into decimeteres cubed (1000ml)

- if you know how many moles of the known concentration reacts with the uknown, you can work out the number of moles present in the unknown substance using the equation for the reaction and thus you can work out the concentration by rearanging the above formula

If at first you don't understand all this, don't worry, you'll do so many titrations in chemistry that they will be a piece of piss. The principles are simple and logic.

Latest