The Student Room Group

SQA Higher Chemistry

This year I have decided to crash higher chemistry however I'm having to teach myself the coursework. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with any help like some useful resources, advice or tips. At this point, anything would help and anything would be really appreciated.
Hi! Like you, I also crashed higher chemistry last year and I am currently doing advanced higher.

I know this point gets repeated to DEATH but do past paper questions - lots of them! I had failed all 3 of the topic tests before my prelim and was estimated a D, however, after doing a ton of past paper questions I got an A! Literally every higher chemistry question is a reworded version of another question.

Additionally, if you're finding the theory hard to grasp, focus on the calculations, then come back to the theory. If you can make sure you're able to answer most calculations, you'll net yourself a lot of marks.

Finally, just don't give up. You got this, it's difficult - I mean, you're crashing higher chemistry for god sake! That's quite a feat!

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by GalaxiSwirl
Hi! Like you, I also crashed higher chemistry last year and I am currently doing advanced higher.

I know this point gets repeated to DEATH but do past paper questions - lots of them! I had failed all 3 of the topic tests before my prelim and was estimated a D, however, after doing a ton of past paper questions I got an A! Literally every higher chemistry question is a reworded version of another question.

Additionally, if you're finding the theory hard to grasp, focus on the calculations, then come back to the theory. If you can make sure you're able to answer most calculations, you'll net yourself a lot of marks.

Finally, just don't give up. You got this, it's difficult - I mean, you're crashing higher chemistry for god sake! That's quite a feat!

Good luck!

Hi, thank you so much for that! You've given me some hope and confidence for it now. I'll make sure I do what you suggested. Again thank you :smile:
Hi I am currently doing advanced chem. I got an A last year in my prelim, so here are some tips:
FOR TEACHING YOURSELF CONTENT:
If you are not already I really recommend Mrs Adams Chemistry on youtube. She is a scottish chemistry teacher and goes through every single topic for N5/H/AH. I personally wouldn't use her videos to learn of, I would try and understand the topic first then do watch her videos as she goes through questions and the theory. It is really good to see how everything in a topic fits together.
FOR REVISING:
Make summary notes! Use the SQA course spec to help you with this.
If you feel confident in a topic and the knowledge I recommend doing the BBC bitesize quizzes without reading their notes as they are all multiple choice. Obviously use their notes if you are stuck.
And finally if you use a website called quizlet you will be able to find people who have made higher chemistry flashcards for every topic. I recommend using their learn mode as you have to be able to figure out the question and the answer.
AND OBVIOUSLY PAST PAPERS! Just keep doing them.
PERSONAL NOTE:
Last year we were only assessed on unit 1 and 2, so I don't have anything to help with calculations as honestly I found them really confusing. But I think you should make like a 'cheat sheet/guide' on the steps to answer each type of calculation. Or that is what I am planning to do for whenever I finally get this prelim. I think this is really useful for experimental calculations such as titrations that don't necessarily have a formula in the data book.
I have a load of Higher Chemistry resources banked in my Glow OneDrive. Additional papers, textbooks, notes, questions, pupil booklets, my handwriten notes, etc, etc. You're more than welcome to take anything you wish from it.

https://bit.ly/396q3Ai
You'll probably need to log in to Glow. Let me know if you have trouble with this and I can try to upload to Google Drive for you.

The best thing to do is to run through practice questions, and as Valeriex said, run through exam paper questions - they are the key to doing well in these exams as every exam is somewhat the same, just in different orders, and reworded. If you memorise the mark schemes and style of questions, you will be absolutely fine.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Saybot404
I have a load of Higher Chemistry resources banked in my Glow OneDrive. Additional papers, textbooks, notes, questions, pupil booklets, my handwriten notes, etc, etc. You're more than welcome to take anything you wish from it.

https://glowscotland-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/gw13fullertobias_glow_sch_uk/EtY32NVv2pFOjbM-Efld_qMBtk9InbSJKycFgvxRXrVLFg?e=xPGoT0

You'll probably need to log in to Glow. Let me know if you have trouble with this and I can try to upload to Google Drive for you.

The best thing to do is to run through practice questions, and as Valeriex said, run through exam paper questions - they are the key to doing well in these exams as every exam is somewhat the same, just in different orders, and reworded. If you memorise the mark schemes and style of questions, you will be absolutely fine.

Thank you so much for your help. How is it I would be able to access those resources?
Original post by Kar313
Thank you so much for your help. How is it I would be able to access those resources?

You shooouuuuld be able to just click it and go to the onedrive folder but it seems TSR has messed up the URL. Try this link...

It'll ask you to log in to your Glow account.
Reply 7
You shooouuuuld be able to just click it and go to the onedrive folder but it seems TSR has messed up the URL. Try this link...

It'll ask you to log in to your Glow account.

That link works this time. Again thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Kar313
That link works this time. Again thank you so much! :smile:

Not a problem. Hope it helps 👍. Sorry it's a bit of a mess haha.
Not a problem. Hope it helps 👍. Sorry it's a bit of a mess haha.

Hi I'm really sorry to bother but if you still have this are you able to share it with a different link as it doesn't seem to work anymore?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending