The Student Room Group

How hard is the Btec level 3 extended certificate in applied science?

Equivelent to 1 A-Level*

Title ^
It’s not hard at all just keep on top of coursework
Original post by LoafOfBread05
Equivelent to 1 A-Level*

Title ^

This depends massively on your current abilities and how you find science more broadly. I know that's not an ideal answer.

Is there something about the course that you're concerned you might struggle with? That could help to narrow down the question.
Original post by brainzistheword
This depends massively on your current abilities and how you find science more broadly. I know that's not an ideal answer.

Is there something about the course that you're concerned you might struggle with? That could help to narrow down the question.

I've already self studied and finished learning the unit 1 content (It was very easy, as 2/3s of the content were the basics from the AS/GCSEs of Biology and Chemistry). Physics was slightly tough as I haven't done the subject since year 11 at a higher combined science level, but I've been doing past papers & using a workbook, and I'm gradually improving.

I'm worried for unit 2. Whilst I've already done two practicals and can easily redo them in the btecs. I'm just worried about how to do write ups, how strict the marking is, etc. Especially physics wise.

edit: I'm doing this in one year, I droped chemistry for the btec.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by farhaan1232
It’s not hard at all just keep on top of coursework

Any advice? I'm doing this in one year, and I'm self studying the year 1 content over the summer.
Reply 5
Any advice? I'm doing this in one year, and I'm self studying the year 1 content over the summer.

Use the specification religiously as a checklist. There's usually a certain amount of things you need to specify to get a distinction level, for example, but you must do ALL merit criteria and ALL pass criteria to even start getting distinctions which is where most people trip up. Also, layout your documents well, ensure you add subheadings so it's easy for the teacher to point out what you've done, use folders to arrange everything neatly. Unit 2 isn't too bad at all, just make sure you either have a good printer scanner thing or can use an app on your phone to scan graphs (there's lots of graph drawing skills and the mark scheme is kinda strict on it) but all in all, as you've done it before, it should be pretty easy.
Original post by syzygy85
Use the specification religiously as a checklist. There's usually a certain amount of things you need to specify to get a distinction level, for example, but you must do ALL merit criteria and ALL pass criteria to even start getting distinctions which is where most people trip up. Also, layout your documents well, ensure you add subheadings so it's easy for the teacher to point out what you've done, use folders to arrange everything neatly. Unit 2 isn't too bad at all, just make sure you either have a good printer scanner thing or can use an app on your phone to scan graphs (there's lots of graph drawing skills and the mark scheme is kinda strict on it) but all in all, as you've done it before, it should be pretty easy.

Alright, thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.

Mind linking me to the specification?

What unit are you talk about or shall I give my advice on year 1 generally I’m doing btec applied science level 3 so it’s worth 3 a level rather than 1 or two
Reply 8
Alright, thank you so much!! I really appreciate it.

Mind linking me to the specification?

No problem, here's the spec: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Applied-Science/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/BTEC-L3-Nat-ExtDip-in-Applied-Science-Spec.pdf
What unit are you talk about or shall I give my advice on year 1 generally I’m doing btec applied science level 3 so it’s worth 3 a level rather than 1 or two

Well preferrably all of year 1 content (unit 1-2), and unit 3 and the optional unit (which i'll be doing once I go back to school), if you can of course.

Though out of these, unit 2 is where I'm most worried about.
(edited 8 months ago)
Well preferrably all of year 1 content (unit 1-2), and unit 3 and the optional unit (which i'll be doing once I go back to school), if you can of course.

Honestly don’t worry in unit 2 there are 3 required practical which involves titration,calorimetry and chromatography your college will do a practise run with you before you be assigned on it then you will write up a report which includes first introduction then risk assessment then method and then results and then you will talk about your results and if it matched the general trend and also what could have been improved make sure you have included everything in the Assignment brief.The link below is unit 2 A assignment brief so this is an example of the coursework briefs you would get
http://www.sjhcsc.co.uk/data/48d76dbc-241b-429f-888d-701285a62b78/Assignment%20Brief%20Unit%202%20Outcome%20A%20Practical%20Scientific%20Procedures%20and%20Techniques.pdf

For unit 1 just watch a youtube teacher whose channel is called BTEC applied science Help and also get the the applied science book which I will leave a link below
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwik6oO3t8iAAxUS4ncKHW1ZD7IYABALGgJlZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASJuRo3Ggvb6nGCw8ZNPJZwIhMrXP2HK0JGK5nsekyLgCAQTlkWRuO&sig=AOD64_1pbJ-P0SUBu2bw5ihYxu0iEaDUCQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwji4P22t8iAAxUOyqQKHc9xCFUQwg8oAHoECAYQEw&adurl=

Thank you!

Also for certain units, are we allowed to resit them for a better grade.
Thank you!

Also for certain units, are we allowed to resit them for a better grade.

Yeah I think it’s only the exam units so in your case unit 1 or unit 3 and the best thing is when you resit and you end up getting an awful result they take the best one so if you got a merit on your first exam then you resat to get distinction and in reality you got a pass the exam board will take your best result which in this case will be a merit
Yeah I think it’s only the exam units so in your case unit 1 or unit 3 and the best thing is when you resit and you end up getting an awful result they take the best one so if you got a merit on your first exam then you resat to get distinction and in reality you got a pass the exam board will take your best result which in this case will be a merit

Oh this is very much more reassuring. Thank you!

And how did unit 3 exams play out for you?
Sorry I'm asking so much questions I'm still so nervous and curious, seeing I'm doing 4 units in 1 year whilst having to catch up over the summer.
Oh this is very much more reassuring. Thank you!

And how did unit 3 exams play out for you?
Sorry I'm asking so much questions I'm still so nervous and curious, seeing I'm doing 4 units in 1 year whilst having to catch up over the summer.

I got a merit in my unit 3 exam and distinction in my unit 1 exam and also I got distinction in all my coursework so finished my first year with D* when you do get your exam results ask your teacher to convert it into points and also your units has points on them and once you add all the points it will give you a grade
I got a merit in my unit 3 exam and distinction in my unit 1 exam and also I got distinction in all my coursework so finished my first year with D* when you do get your exam results ask your teacher to convert it into points and also your units has points on them and once you add all the points it will give you a grade

I'm aiming for a D*/D in my overall grade. Would you say I have to get disctinction in every unit, or am I allowed some leniancy incase I slip up?
If you are aiming for distinction than you can slip up however I don’t think for distinction star you can slip up because I just about reached the points for distinction star
If you are aiming for distinction than you can slip up however I don’t think for distinction star you can slip up because I just about reached the points for distinction star

Okay that makes sense. Thank you so much for your help! I'll come back here if I have anymore questions and I appreciate your patience with me!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending