The Student Room Group

How do you feel about the 'Fat Acceptance' movement?

How do you honestly feel about the "Fat Acceptance" movement?

Do you think it is healthy, or is it doing more harm than good?

On one hand people should not be bullied for being fat but people encouraging others to not lose weight and skinny shaming is even worse.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It isn't a good thing. If we become socially accepting of the overweight (I myself am overweight, so this is not a biased opinion), people will assume being fat is an option. Obesity costs the NHS millions, and people should be ashamed of that. We need to be encouraging people to lose weight, not becoming neural to those who gain it. Anyone who disagrees needs to have a listen to Katie Hopkins, she speaks the truth on the subject!
Won't work in non-platonic matters
Original post by Motorbiker
How do you honestly feel about the "Fat Acceptance" movement?

Do you think it is healthy, or is it doing more harm than good?

On one hand people should not be bullied for being fat but people encouraging others to not lose weight and skinny shaming is even worse.

Never heard of it but nothing surprises me these days. Maybe next month we will have a poster campaign for the clown acceptance movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by bmjordan
It isn't a good thing. If we become socially accepting of the overweight (I myself am overweight, so this is not a biased opinion), people will assume being fat is an option. Obesity costs the NHS millions, and people should be ashamed of that. We need to be encouraging people to lose weight, not becoming neural to those who gain it. Anyone who disagrees needs to have a listen to Katie Hopkins, she speaks the truth on the subject!

Thanks, that's a good point about the cost they're putting in the NHS for something that is 99.9% of the time completely their own fault and choice.

And encouraging people to lose weight is a good way of wording it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree with bmjordan, katie hopkins hits the nail on the head with this. I like her quote "Obesity shouldnt be classed as a disability because they are still able to walk to the fridge and shove it all in their mouth"

People are fat because they eat too much and/or dont exercise enough. Then when they are overweight they expect people to make allowances for them.
Reply 6
Original post by blue n white army
Agree with bmjordan, katie hopkins hits the nail on the head with this. I like her quote "Obesity shouldnt be classed as a disability because they are still able to walk to the fridge and shove it all in their mouth"

People are fat because they eat too much and/or dont exercise enough. Then when they are overweight they expect people to make allowances for them.

What do you recommend we do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Reply 8

Why should they? I pay a small fortune in tax. Every time I use a public service I see it as getting my money back.
Reply 9
Original post by MKultra101
Never heard of it but nothing surprises me these days. Maybe next month we will have a poster campaign for the clown acceptance movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

A quick tl;dr is fat people believe they're healthy and unfairly discriminated against.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JC.
Why should they? I pay a small fortune in tax. Every time I use a public service I see it as getting my money back.

If everyone took that approach we'd all have to pay lots more.

Is it fair for others to have to pay extra to cover extra costs due to obesity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by JC.

Why should my tax pay for someone who can't stop putting chocolate in their mouth to have a gastric band?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Why should my tax pay for someone who can't stop putting chocolate in their mouth to have a gastic band?

It doesn't. It pays for all the **** you use yourself.
Reply 13
Original post by JC.

That isn't how the tax system works
Reply 14
If everyone took that approach we'd all have to pay lots more.

Is it fair for others to have to pay extra to cover extra costs due to obesity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it fair that we support the lives of the feckless and workshy?
Or subsidise the EU?
etc etc ad infinitum

There's far more important things to worry about than a few quid going to the NHS.
Original post by JC.

To be fair it pays for everything including many things caused by obesity such as medical treatments which could be easily avoided by being a healthy weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
That isn't how the tax system works

OK...
If you pay a pound and it's split over 100 departments.
You then use a service from 1 department.
That service costs £1

Have you had your £1 back or 1P back of your own and 99 pennies from 99 other people?

It's all the same...
Original post by JC.
Is it fair that we support the lives of the feckless and workshy?
Or subsidise the EU?
etc etc ad infinitum

There's far more important things to worry about than a few quid going to the NHS.

It's actually a large percentage of the NHSs costs and increasing every year.

And those are topics for other debates you're free to start separate threads on. :wink:
Like I say to feminists to get back to the kitchen.

I say to the fat acceptance movement to get back to the gym
What do you recommend we do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the whole "if you're happy then who cares what anyone else thinks" attitude needs to stop it gives them an easy way out of losing weight. IMO that kind of attitude should be reserved for if you get a slightly obscure pair of shoes.

Telling someone they are overweight is a bit of a taboo. At work i've overheard someone say "have you ever thought of giving up smoking? you sound like you've got a nasty cough" yet to the morbidly obese person no one has said "have you considered eating less, you spent 5 months in hospital where you flatlined twice (costing us sick pay) and we've had to put a special mat down so your chair doesnt **** up the carpet and yet you still eat tons"

I think there also needs to be a campaign that gets the message across that XYZ condition is only responsibile for a small minority of overweight people.

Dieting i've found is discouraged. I've always been really skinny but over xmas i put on close to 10lb, I wasn't overweight (bmi hit 24.9) but i was starting to get a bit of podge, so since new years i've started exercising and cutting the crap out of my diet as well as reducing calories i've heard so much "you don't need to lose any weight" "don't be silly why are you dieting". It's stupid because why not lose a few pounds now instead of getting to the stage where i'd need to lose a couple of stone to be my healthy weight.

I don't know what needs to be done as such but being overweight should be something you are ashamed of which it isnt anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending