The Student Room Group

C4 Integration help

how would you integrate sin^2tcost??
I was looking on exam solutions and he seemed to use the method where you easily can spot the pattern, i find this method hard and wonder if there is another way round it?
The one that jumps out at me is integration by parts but it'd be a real pig.

Practice questions and you should start spotting them.
I'm not too sure what you mean by spotting the pattern. Reverse chain rule?

In regards to sin^2(t)cos(t) try a substitution of u=sin(t)
Original post by hajs
I was looking on exam solutions and he seemed to use the method where you easily can spot the pattern, i find this method hard and wonder if there is another way round it?

It is obvious from the inverse chain rule

If you want ... You can substitute u=sint ... However, spotting that is the same as seeing the inverse chain rule
Original post by hajs

You need to use a substitution u, so that dudt\frac{du}{dt} is equal to whatever is multiplied by the function of u.

In this case, the substitution is u=sintu = \sin t because when differentiated, this become cost\cos t, which cancels with the cost\cos t in the integrand.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM

Yeah i was thinking that.. not worth it right?
And mmm yeah but i don't understand the method behind it initially.
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
You need to use a substitution u, so that dudt\frac{du}{dt} is equal to whatever is multiplied by the function of u.

In this case, the substitution is u=sintu = \sin t because when differentiated, this become cost\cos t, which cancels with the cost\cos t in the integrand.

how did you know that u=sint.. this would have taken me a while to figure out.. guess practice is the key???
Original post by SeanFM

IBP is actually very easy with this question
Original post by hajs
how did you know that u=sint.. this would have taken me a while to figure out.. guess practice is the key???

As I said ... That understanding is identical to the understanding needed to use inverse chain rule
Original post by hajs

Just because d(sint)dt=cost\frac{d(\sin t)}{dt} = \cos t.
You need to find a substitution that cancels the other term (that cannot be put in terms of the substitution).

After practice, you will be able to use inverse chain rule, which is quicker and based on intuition.
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
As I said ... That understanding is identical to the understanding needed to use inverse chain rule

Original post by morgan8002
Just because d(sint)dt=cost\frac{d(\sin t)}{dt} = \cos t.
You need to find a substitution that cancels the other term (that cannot be put in terms of the substitution).

After practice, you will be able to use inverse chain rule, which is quicker and based on intuition.

okay thank you both!! I will practice more of these
Original post by hajs
okay thank you both!! I will practice more of these

You're welcome.
Reply 12
Original post by noumenon
s(sin^2tcost) dx
u= (sint)^2

Really, horrendously overcomplicated!

The substitution u = sin t is all that's required here :smile:
Original post by hajs

let u = sin(t)
du = cos(t)dt

= u^2du
...u^3
=------- + C

Quick Reply

Latest