The Student Room Group

Help maths urgent ‼️

Help I don’t get why the integrated cosec^xtan^2x to sec^2x and then to tanx I mean… your only supposed to integrate once so wouldn’t the final solution have sec^2x in it ?IMG_2689.jpeg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
The second line and third line of working is just simplifying the integration down. So in the second line of working where it says cosec^2xtan^2x if you simplify that it will turn into sec^2x which is the third line of working. Then the last line is the final answer when you integrate both of the cosec and sec. Hope this helps in some way! Let me know if you're still unsure <3

Also it wouldn't have sec^2x at the end because when you integrate the sec^2x it becomes tan x and when you integrate the cosec^2x it becomes -cotx
(edited 10 months ago)
They’ve only integrated once, from the third to the last line, which is why the integral sign is still there.

Cosec^2xtan^2x cancels to sec^2x as the sin’s cancel out
They didn’t integrate cosec^2xtan^2x yet, they just simplified it to sec^2x. Express cosec^2xtan^2x in terms of cos and sin and you’ll see that sin^2x cancels out and leaves sec^2x, then they integrate on the last line. Hope that made sense
Reply 4
Original post by PixiePresents
They’ve only integrated once, from the third to the last line, which is why the integral sign is still there.

Cosec^2xtan^2x cancels to sec^2x as the sin’s cancel out

Thankyouuu 🤍

Quick Reply

Latest