The Student Room Group

Maths Integration

Hi, I'm not quite sure how to progress from here, I'm not even sure if trying to write the 4x - 1 in terms of u was even the right thing to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 15.34.24.jpg
Reply 1
Try dividing it out.

Also don't forget to change the bounds of integration.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cloudii
Hi, I'm not quite sure how to progress from here, I'm not even sure if trying to write the 4x - 1 in terms of u was even the right thing to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 15.34.24.jpg

Have you managed to do it from the previous hint? You must change your integration limits when you switch to the u-variable (technically you can write x= ? for each limit and switch back to x after you integrate but that can get messy); the only other thing to do is remember your (pre-)GCSE fraction rules: (a+b)/c = (a/c) + (b/c) then you have something that is easy to integrate :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by davros
Have you managed to do it from the previous hint? You must change your integration limits when you switch to the u-variable (technically you can write x= ? for each limit and switch back to x after you integrate but that can get messy); the only other thing to do is remember your (pre-)GCSE fraction rules: (a+b)/c = (a/c) + (b/c) then you have something that is easy to integrate :smile:

Yes, I managed to do it, thank you for the reminder about the limits! :smile:
Original post by cloudii
Yes, I managed to do it, thank you for the reminder about the limits! :smile:

Is integration by substitution the only way to do this question? I thought in the exam, the substitution would be given?
Reply 5
Original post by toxicgamage56
Is integration by substitution the only way to do this question? I thought in the exam, the substitution would be given?

Until a few years ago students were always expected to be able to come up with substitutions by themselves :smile:

In this case the required sub is fairly "obvious" - you want to make the denominator as simple as possible so you can divide by it, so the "obvious" thing to do it just call the bit in brackets "u" and see what happens. It helps that the numerator is linear and the derivative of u is just a constant, so the resulting integral comes out to something nice :smile:
Original post by davros
Until a few years ago students were always expected to be able to come up with substitutions by themselves :smile:

In this case the required sub is fairly "obvious" - you want to make the denominator as simple as possible so you can divide by it, so the "obvious" thing to do it just call the bit in brackets "u" and see what happens. It helps that the numerator is linear and the derivative of u is just a constant, so the resulting integral comes out to something nice :smile:

Yeah, the substitution wasn't bad here, but I hope it's made explicit in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest