The Student Room Group

FP3 Vectors (Part d)

The d part of the question is asking to find the shortest distance between a point and a line but I couldn't do the way i normally do.
I have attached the questions and my solution.
any idea where im going wrong?
thanks in advance
Original post by kabilan13
The d part of the question is asking to find the shortest distance between a point and a line but I couldn't do the way i normally do.
I have attached the questions and my solution.
any idea where im going wrong?
thanks in advance

You haven't shown enough working for me to see what you're doing. However, I find the distance to be 35/34\sqrt{35/34}. Is that correct? If so, I'll put up my working later.
Reply 2
Think about the right-angled triangle containing d: you know the length of the hypotenuse; finding d is just a matter of knowing the sine of angle OMP. You have an area for the larger triangle and you have two lengths which enclose said angle; what formula involves all these pieces of information?
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Think about the right-angled triangle containing d: you know the length of the hypotenuse; finding d is just a matter of knowing the sine of angle OMP. You have an area for the larger triangle and you have two lengths which enclose said angle; what formula involves all these pieces of information?

correct advice/hint

(+5)
Reply 4
sorry yh ur right. i should have showed my previous workings but i got the answer eventually. ur answer is right and thanks so much for ur help
Reply 5
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

oh yh i got the answer. i can use my answer from part c to find the sine of the angle and then find the distance.
thanks so much for ur help

Quick Reply

Latest