The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level Vectors

2. The points A, B and C have coordinates (-4, 0), (2, -1) and (3, 2) respectively.
(a) Write down the vectors
AB, AC and B. [3]
(b) Write down an equation linking vectors AB, AC and BC. [1]
(c) Find a unit vector in the direction of BC. [2]
(d) A fourth point D is positioned so that ABCD is a trapezium with AD parallel to BC and the magnitude of AD is 1.
Find the coordinates of D. [3]

How do you do part d?
(edited 8 months ago)
Some formatting issues there, but I assume the question wants |AD| = 1 (reads "magnitude of AD is 1", or really it's just "length of AD is 1").

First off, did you draw diagram and find out where D is?
If so, a perhaps rather cryptic but still useful hint in spoilers:

Spoiler

(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tonyiptony
Some formatting issues there, but I assume the question wants |AD| = 1 (reads "magnitude of AD is 1", or really it's just "length of AD is 1").

First off, did you draw diagram and find out where D is?
If so, a perhaps rather cryptic but still useful hint in spoilers:

Spoiler

I did draw a diagram but it did not seem to help, as I don't know the length of other vectors such as DC etc
Original post by g3rnet333
I did draw a diagram but it did not seem to help, as I don't know the length of other vectors such as DC etc

You don't need the length of others.

So to find the positional vector of D from A, you only need 2 things:
(i) positional vector of A,
(ii) the vector AD (can you find this?).

Then do the tip-to-tail thing when adding vectors, right?. Or to write it more explicitly, vector OD = vector OA + vector AD (not the magnitude, just the vector).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
You don't need the length of others.

So to find the positional vector of D from A, you only need 2 things:
(i) positional vector of A,
(ii) the vector AD (can you find this?).

Then do the tip-to-tail thing when adding vectors, right?. Or to write it more explicitly, vector OD = vector OA + vector AD (not the magnitude, just the vector).

Right, my issue is I am not sure how to find vector AD. How would you go about doing this, only knowing the magnitude is 1?
Original post by g3rnet333
Right, my issue is I am not sure how to find vector AD. How would you go about doing this, only knowing the magnitude is 1?

Read the question again, you've missed that AD is parallel to BC, which means...

Spoiler

Reply 6
Read the question again, you've missed that AD is parallel to BC, which means...

Spoiler

Yes, I seemed to have misread the question. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest