The Student Room Group

As further maths discussion

Can anyone remember any answers they got for the as further maths Edexcel today
Reply 1
Original post by Zachcorbs05
Can anyone remember any answers they got for the as further maths Edexcel today

I got 1800 times pi for the volumes of revolution question and said it was an overestimate as the surface is not likely to be smooth ? i have no idea if that’s right though i found the paper quite hard
Reply 2
Original post by 7GiRl7
I got 1800 times pi for the volumes of revolution question and said it was an overestimate as the surface is not likely to be smooth ? i have no idea if that’s right though i found the paper quite hard

Yeah it was a hard paper, I remember getting that aswell for that one
Reply 3
i got about 5700kg for the volumes question, in vectors i think the point B was (5,1,1) or something similar, in the z^10 question i think i got a=(3sqrt3)/2 b=-3/2. don’t remember much else and honestly idk if i got any of these right 😭
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cbgloml
i got about 5700kg for the volumes question, in vectors i think the point B was (5,1,1) or something similar, in the z^10 question i think i got a=(3sqrt3)/2 b=-3/2. don’t remember much else and honestly idk if i got any of these right 😭

I remember getting these ! For that matrices one where it said what the student did wrong i put that they did AB instead of BA and that AB is not the same as BA so it should have been the transformation matrix multiplied by the other one
Reply 5
Original post by 7GiRl7
I remember getting these ! For that matrices one where it said what the student did wrong i put that they did AB instead of BA and that AB is not the same as BA so it should have been the transformation matrix multiplied by the other one

yh i said something like c=ba not ab and ab(not equals)ba so he multiplied them in the wrong order
Reply 6
Original post by cbgloml

Yes I remember getting them aswell
Reply 7
Original post by shrey.
Complex numbers - u just multiply by complex conjugate on denominator, and get 1/2.

Argand diagrams - there were 2 questions. One had a line with y = sqrt(3)x - 2 sqrt(3) and another one which was y = (sqrt(3)/3)x + sqrt 3, I think. Either way, x turns out to be 7/2 or 3.5 and you can solve for y easily and put into a + bi form. The other one had a nice question with the mod to the power of 10 and arg to the power of 10. Rooting the mod to power 10 got 3 and args work like logs, so you can divide by 10 and get arg was minus pi / 6.

Series - n was 4 I think and the last part was a fun question where u sub say 999 = 2x -1 and upper bound is 500 and 101 = 2x -1 so lower bound was 51. It gave a 9 digit answer once solved.

Roots - There was an easy 5 marker for quartic where you just sub in w = 3z+1 or whatever it was, rearrange for z and multiply out the brackets. I think it was something like w^4 + 4w^3 + 51w^2 + something - 3000ish. Also the last question had roots. You had to notice the the sum of the roots was 0 as there was no x^2 term, so beta was equal to 4 alpha. Then multiply the the roots together and equate it to the term in the question. I think n was -63.

Volumes - was already discussed above and was 1800 pi, but the reasons for the 1 markers were hard to get

Matrix - was the first question as a 4 marker. It was mainly a joke with simple addition and subtraction. Another question where you prove a matrix was non-singular. Take the determinant and obtain a quadratic. You can take the discriminant and as it was below 0, there are no solutions. Alternatively, you could use completing the square and use a sketch.

Linear transformations - fun question, there were 2 methods. The most common one was to multiply the transformation by the coordinates given and obtain the new coordinates in terms of a. Then find the distance between the new and old coordinates and use pythagoras to equate this to root 58. Square both sides and solve a quadratic. I think answer was 31/5 and 3 for a. An alternate method was taking the determinant of the matrix = -3, so area scale factor was 3 so a line scale factor was root 3. Multiply this by the distance between the original coordinates using pythagoras and equate it to root 58, and solve. Another question where the student made the error of doing AB instead of BA and we had to annoyingly multiply two 3x3 matrices

Surprisingly no proof by induction this year. I think thats a first.

Vectors was easier than most years. The main 6 marker had 4 bullet points that needed to be satisfied. You solve and get 14x^2 = 14. If x = 1, then one of the coordinates was negative, but the question said it had to be positive so x = -1 and answer was (1 , 1 , 5)

Overall , I feel like this was easier than most of the past papers. I've seen some horrendous chimpanzee matrices questions so compared to that, it was doable. I hope you guys feel like it went well overall.

i remember getting all of these except the linear transformation one 😭 i did the second method and got a= (3+-sqrt6)/3 i think but hopefully i’ll get method marks
Reply 8
Original post by SenorWong
I got 5200 when rounded so im not sure when I messed up. I made x^2 the subject so integrated 2-y between 0 and sqrt2 which I thing was the right thing to do? Then just multiplied the answer by the density and I think that came out to 5169. Would someone mind pointing out where I went wrong

You made the same mistake as me. We set y=0 to find the y intercept when you're supposed to set x=0. The actual intercept is 2, not root2. I'm kinda mad I messed up to something so easy. Hopefully we get some ECF marks at least but idk how generous they are.
Reply 9
Overall not too bad, but I’ve always struggled with complex numbers, so I’m hoping for at least some positive method marks on those two questions. And while I think my method in the Vectors question was good, I couldn’t get the final mark for the last vector (part d I think). Hopefully aiming for 50/80? 💕
Was there a proof by induction question or am I tripping??
Reply 11
Original post by imissedapage
Was there a proof by induction question or am I tripping??

I don’t remember doing any, which was really annoying as i took soooo much time learning it 😩
Reply 12
Did anyone get the Loci question, part B I found very difficult?

Quick Reply

Latest