The Student Room Group

Baby Milo's Revision Tips Thread

Mind Maps

One of the best methods of revision is using mind maps. I'd create mind maps to help me revise for my university exams. I'd first add the keywords to the map, then the acronyms and definitions and then branch out further to include more information at a deeper level. I'd also link relevant information as this would help build a picture of what could be relevant to particular questions asked. I'd also put together notes based on the mind map and then staple it behind the mind map.

Presentations

The next thing I did was put together a presentation with a keyword on each slide. I'd let the presentation loop through and I'd memorise each keyword by continuously reading it over and over. It's basically a way of constructing knowledge through repetition. This is especially good for acronyms and equations you feel you may forget. By the time you enter the exam room you will have the words deeply ingrained in your mind and you will then be more confident in answering the questions that arise.

Past Exam Papers

I'd print off as many past exam papers as I could and would work through the questions on each of them. This would leave me with an entire set of notes to read through afterwards and I felt ready to answer whatever question came up. I'd then cross reference these notes against the notes compiled from my mind map.

Preparedness

Before each exam I would go to sleep early and then wake up around about 6am. I'd have breakfast to ensure I was well prepared and then start reading all of the notes I had put together. I'd read them all the way up until just before the exam and the last thing I would look at would be the mind map to ensure I had all of the keywords and acronyms covered upon entering the exam. I'd then bin the notes upon entry to the exam room and take my seat. I'd also never take my phone with me or anything else that could possibly cause a distraction before the exam. I'd try my best not to speak to friends too much before the exam as well as I wanted to make sure I was in the zone.

Time Management

This part is vitally important. To do the best you can do in an exam you need to make effective use of the time you have available. Most of my exams were 2 hours, some were 3 hours, but the same rule applies to both lengths of time. I'd often have to answer 3 of the 5 questions on offer. I'd divide my time up so that I had 35 minutes per each question, 5 minutes to reproduce the mind map in the back, 5 minutes to read over the questions in depth and 5 minutes to check at the end. In the case of a 3 hour exam, I'd simply increase the time by a suitable amount leaving enough time to answer the questions in the extra depth that was required.

Timeline

00:00 - reproduce the mind map in the back of the answer booklet as prepared
00:05 - read over the questions and decide which questions to answer
00:40 - answer question 1
01:15 - answer question 2
01:50 - answer question 3
01:55 - check answers in depth - amend where required

Summary

I decided to put together the exam preparation plan above after second year where I averaged a low 2:1. I chose some extremely difficult modules and didn't prepare well enough for them. In my third and final year I averaged a 1st and ended up with a high 2:1 overall with a 1st in my dissertation. By planning for my exams and allocating the required time to revision I also ensured that I had enough time to get a good grade in my dissertation. Remember than planning for your exams may also have a very positive impact on other areas of your work that are assignment based. The less stress the better.

Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Excellent tips, many thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by neal95
Excellent tips, many thanks!

You're welcome. I'll try to add more in the future. I'm always learning new things as I like to read a lot. :biggrin:
Original post by Baby Milo
Mind Maps

One of the best methods of revision is using mind maps. I'd create mind maps to help me revise for my university exams. I'd first add the keywords to the map, then the acronyms and definitions and then branch out further to include more information at a deeper level. I'd also link relevant information as this would help build a picture of what could be relevant to particular questions asked. I'd also put together notes based on the mind map and then staple it behind the mind map.

Presentations

The next thing I did was put together a presentation with a keyword on each slide. I'd let the presentation loop through and I'd memorise each keyword by continuously reading it over and over. It's basically a way of constructing knowledge through repetition. This is especially good for acronyms and equations you feel you may forget. By the time you enter the exam room you will have the words deeply ingrained in your mind and you will then be more confident in answering the questions that arise.

Past Exam Papers

I'd print off as many past exam papers as I could and would work through the questions on each of them. This would leave me with an entire set of notes to read through afterwards and I felt ready to answer whatever question came up. I'd then cross reference these notes against the notes compiled from my mind map.

Preparedness

Before each exam I would go to sleep early and then wake up around about 6am. I'd have breakfast to ensure I was well prepared and then start reading all of the notes I had put together. I'd read them all the way up until just before the exam and the last thing I would look at would be the mind map to ensure I had all of the keywords and acronyms covered upon entering the exam. I'd then bin the notes upon entry to the exam room and take my seat. I'd also never take my phone with me or anything else that could possibly cause a distraction before the exam. I'd try my best not to speak to friends too much before the exam as well as I wanted to make sure I was in the zone.

Time Management

This part is vitally important. To do the best you can do in an exam you need to make effective use of the time you have available. Most of my exams were 2 hours, some were 3 hours, but the same rule applies to both lengths of time. I'd often have to answer 3 of the 5 questions on offer. I'd divide my time up so that I had 35 minutes per each question, 5 minutes to reproduce the mind map in the back, 5 minutes to read over the questions in depth and 5 minutes to check at the end. In the case of a 3 hour exam, I'd simply increase the time by a suitable amount leaving enough time to answer the questions in the extra depth that was required.

Timeline

00:00 - reproduce the mind map in the back of the answer booklet as prepared
00:05 - read over the questions and decide which questions to answer
00:40 - answer question 1
01:15 - answer question 2
01:50 - answer question 3
01:55 - check answers in depth - amend where required

Summary

I decided to put together the exam preparation plan above after second year where I averaged a low 2:1. I chose some extremely difficult modules and didn't prepare well enough for them. In my third and final year I averaged a 1st and ended up with a high 2:1 overall with a 1st in my dissertation. By planning for my exams and allocating the required time to revision I also ensured that I had enough time to get a good grade in my dissertation. Remember than planning for your exams may also have a very positive impact on other areas of your work that are assignment based. The less stress the better.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Aye, this is actually quite a good guide (I decided to do some stalking :colone: ).

I would personally recommend including printing the course specification, and the examiners report (For those on ICT).. Understand where the other students went wrong, and of course the spec since you're tested against it? :smile:

+Rep :smile:
works for you but won't work for everyone

i work best by testing myself again and again so yeah past papers or making questions from lectures is important for me.

i don't waste my time making notes or mind maps as i believe recall on a repetitive basis is better
Reply 5
Original post by bittr n swt
works for you but won't work for everyone

This is the case with almost everything. People are free to contribute their own revision tips to the thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending