The Student Room Group

ask away: questions about GCSEs

Hello Year 10s and Year 11s,
This thread has been created so that you guys can ask me any queries you have about GCSEs. Thanks - hopefully I can answer every question!

Emmanuella (Year 13) :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi, thanks for making the thread!

I just wanted to ask for any tips/advice on how to juggle all my subjects better and to get all the work I intended to do finished (because sometimes when another exam comes up, I can't allocate my time for another subject at the same time so I end up delaying it).
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi, thanks for making the thread!

I just wanted to ask for any tips/advice on how to juggle all my subjects better and to get all the work I intended to do finished (because sometimes when another exam comes up, I can't allocate my time for another subject at the same time so I end up delaying it).

Juggling Subjects
Hello, this is such a common thing and I also fall prone to it! It is normal to prioritise an exam coming up! First of all, I would decide how many hours a week you are going to spend on each subject! Once you got that sorted, decide what days you'll focus on doing a subject. For example, I am going to do 1hr of English on a Monday and Wednesday, and Physics on a Tuesday and Thursday! If you are finding revising stressful, maybe take one day off in the week where you don't do any work at all and you try and relax! When an exam comes up, try and incorporate this into your weekly plan (making a plan is so important!). I will leave a link to what my plan looks like if that may be of any use!

Link to template: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SqEXyBsDwtVcuqEMKoyZa7Q-DeiKfJRhz71KqjrFCbI/edit?usp=sharing

Does this help @LifeHappens?
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello Year 10s and Year 11s,
This thread has been created so that you guys can ask me any queries you have about GCSEs. Thanks - hopefully I can answer every question!

Emmanuella (Year 13) :smile:

What would you rank your gcse subjects from easiest to hardest. In your opinion, what is the best easy 9 academic gcse? I'm thinking of business, media or geography
Original post by emm4nuella
Juggling Subjects
Hello, this is such a common thing and I also fall prone to it! It is normal to prioritise an exam coming up! First of all, I would decide how many hours a week you are going to spend on each subject! Once you got that sorted, decide what days you'll focus on doing a subject. For example, I am going to do 1hr of English on a Monday and Wednesday, and Physics on a Tuesday and Thursday! If you are finding revising stressful, maybe take one day off in the week where you don't do any work at all and you try and relax! When an exam comes up, try and incorporate this into your weekly plan (making a plan is so important!). I will leave a link to what my plan looks like if that may be of any use!

Link to template: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SqEXyBsDwtVcuqEMKoyZa7Q-DeiKfJRhz71KqjrFCbI/edit?usp=sharing

Does this help @LifeHappens?

Hi, thanks so much for the great tips!

I think that deciding beforehand would be helpful so I don't need to decide on the spot or just before a revision sessions.

I took a look at the template, thanks for sending it over, I'll definitely print it out and use it.
Original post by Darsh Rathod
What would you rank your gcse subjects from easiest to hardest. In your opinion, what is the best easy 9 academic gcse? I'm thinking of business, media or geography

probably ICT if your school offers it and computer science. literally practise all the questions that theyve done for the spec and you will notice a pattern which means you can easily study and memorise the markschemes.
i heard from my friends that business is mind-dumbingly boring so DONT pick it if you dont like it. geography is great its pretty easy. me personally for my academic subjects i picked triple science german and computer science. if youre interested in a language pick it, because you will enjoy it so much. if youre good at science go for triple science because its worth one more grade than combined science plus it means for most people you will have to pick one less option and it lowers the weight on you.
Reply 6
Hi, I get distracted really easily and just can’t be bothered to do revision a lot of the time. Have u guys got any tips on staying motivated and not getting distracted and managing lots of revision in to get all 9s. (Btw I’m not completely hopeless I am one of the top in my yr I just need help on staying motivated) thanks
Appreciate making the thread! 🙂
Original post by The boy..
Hi, I get distracted really easily and just can’t be bothered to do revision a lot of the time. Have u guys got any tips on staying motivated and not getting distracted and managing lots of revision in to get all 9s. (Btw I’m not completely hopeless I am one of the top in my yr I just need help on staying motivated) thanks

heya I recommend watching this video: https://youtu.be/Z2eADLBcukQ?si=oV1VFtdvF77FV7UI

The best way to be motivated which works for me is to give myself a slacking-off break where I eat snacks and do what I want for 30-45 mins and then I tell myself I'm going to work for 20 mins and take another break. When you sit at your desk/study space, take the easiest/simplest thing to do and finish it off and slowly work your way up - hopefully by the time those 20 mins are over, you would still be productive and be able to carry on.

If you get distracted, then you could try to eliminate all the distractions like putting your phone in a separate room. Or you could watch a study with me video to get motivated/something else that might help is filming a "study with me" where you basically just film yourself studying on a timelapse on your phone and that might prevent you from steering away from focus.
Reply 9
Original post by *LifeHappens*
The best way to be motivated which works for me is to give myself a slacking-off break where I eat snacks and do what I want for 30-45 mins and then I tell myself I'm going to work for 20 mins and take another break. When you sit at your desk/study space, take the easiest/simplest thing to do and finish it off and slowly work your way up - hopefully by the time those 20 mins are over, you would still be productive and be able to carry on.

If you get distracted, then you could try to eliminate all the distractions like putting your phone in a separate room. Or you could watch a study with me video to get motivated/something else that might help is filming a "study with me" where you basically just film yourself studying on a timelapse on your phone and that might prevent you from steering away from focus.

Thanks so much I think the study with me will help bc it will make me feel like I’m Acc working for smth fun. 😀
Reply 10
Thanks so much I think the study with me will help bc it will make me feel like I’m Acc working for smth fun. 😀

Thx for the video too I will defo be watching!

Quick Reply

Latest