The Student Room Group

Getting an A* - AQA A level Economics

Hi, I do the A level in Economics with AQA and my school has a bad track record with those who gain an A*. I would really like an A* and was wondering what advice those who achieved an A* in this subject and from this exam board suggest I do? At the moment, I know all my material well and read blogs on current economics issues.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by V0ldemort17
Hi, I do the A level in Economics with AQA and my school has a bad track record with those who gain an A*. I would really like an A* and was wondering what advice those who achieved an A* in this subject and from this exam board suggest I do? At the moment, I know all my material well and read blogs on current economics issues.
Thanks!

Hi there,

Sound like you're already doing the right things by reading around the subject.

Doing past papers and learning to structure an essay are both fundamental steps in getting a top grade.

To get into the top level 5, evaluation is also key.

The website I have linked below includes material for good evaluation on almost every topic on AQA:

http://www.petragrade.com
Reply 2
That website looks great!
Did you get an a* for econ from aqa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an A* on the exam board. Learn the mark schemes and read the examiners report. Shows some good tips on do's and don'ts.
Reply 4
Thanks so much guys! I have to say one thing preventing me from the a* is the evaluation - do you guys know any set method of evaluating your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
That website looks great!
Did you get an a* for econ from aqa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats good too hear, I actually built the website myself :smile:

It would be very kind if you could show your appreciation on this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53097701#post53097701

I taught myself economics over the past 3 years so I will be taking my A2 econ exams this summer.
Thanks so much guys! I have to say one thing preventing me from the a* is the evaluation - do you guys know any set method of evaluating your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Branch out..

like a macro question analysis: lower interest rate etc.. etc.. > leads to more borrowing > leads to spending > multiplier leads to growth

evaluation: However given interest rates are at an all time low 0.5%, it's unlikely that lowering them would do much etc.. etc..
Reply 7
Go on then...

'Evaluate the case for and against speed cameras as a source of government failure'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember only 2 people got A* for Economics in my college and they were doing AQA. One of them went Oxford to do Law and the other was a retake.
Reply 9
Is it better to do loads of past papers and go over little content, to get exam technique or focus more on content?

Quick Reply

Latest