The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham - Finance BSc

Hi!

I am a year 12 student studying business studies, psychology, sociology (predicted A*A*A) and I really want to do finance at Durham. I do not have a maths a level and I’m worried I won’t get in because of it. It says that they don’t need maths a level but a 7 at gcse, and I got grade 9 at gcse maths and grade 9 level 2 further maths. Do I still have a chance? Will I be disadvantaged? Does anyone do finance without maths?

Thanks so much :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't do finance but i definitely don't think you'll be too disavantaged. definitely emphasise the maths that you do in psychology in RM and stats, and definietly get some finance work experience. It would probably help you to do supercurricular maths courses too, or perhaps take further online courses in mathematics to prove you are capable!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by chai2k6
Hi!

I am a year 12 student studying business studies, psychology, sociology (predicted A*A*A) and I really want to do finance at Durham. I do not have a maths a level and I’m worried I won’t get in because of it. It says that they don’t need maths a level but a 7 at gcse, and I got grade 9 at gcse maths and grade 9 level 2 further maths. Do I still have a chance? Will I be disadvantaged? Does anyone do finance without maths?

Hi I am a first year at Durham doing BSc Finance, I think you will be fine with your application, but it would have been advantageous for you to have A-levels Maths because it would help with one of the modules in the first year. That being said I think you will fine. Would recommend applying as well!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I am a first year at Durham doing BSc Finance, I think you will be fine with your application, but it would have been advantageous for you to have A-levels Maths because it would help with one of the modules in the first year. That being said I think you will fine. Would recommend applying as well!

Aw great! That’s so great to hear! Do y oh have any application tips for Durham? Thanks!!
Reply 4
Original post by emma85736
I don't do finance but i definitely don't think you'll be too disavantaged. definitely emphasise the maths that you do in psychology in RM and stats, and definietly get some finance work experience. It would probably help you to do supercurricular maths courses too, or perhaps take further online courses in mathematics to prove you are capable!

Aw great! Thanks so much for that, I’ll look into it!
Original post by chai2k6
Aw great! That’s so great to hear! Do y oh have any application tips for Durham? Thanks!!

You've got pretty strong predicted grades so you should be in for contention, make numerous drafts of your personal statement!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1

Do you enjoy this and recommend this degree over accounting combined with finance?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
You've got pretty strong predicted grades so you should be in for contention, make numerous drafts of your personal statement!

And thoughts on Durham uni do you recommend because I also got offer from brum (Birmingham)?
Original post by aryc_30
And thoughts on Durham uni do you recommend because I also got offer from brum (Birmingham)?

Durham is defo a better uni than Brum - in terms of ranking esp if you want a high-finance job later. Personally, I'm thoroughly enjoying my time in Durham and wouldn't want to be anywhere else tbh. Brum and Durham are 2 completely different places.

I prefer the pure finance course because it's more quantitative and has more technical aspects to it. Moreover, I dreaded my 2 compulsory accounting modules in 1st year.
Original post by chai2k6
Hi!

I also dont take A-level Math (Econ, Socio, Psychology (A*A*A predicted)), and only got a GCSE 7 Math (mid GCSE's overall 777766555). I recently got an offer for bsc finance at Durham.

For anyone who is put off from applying owing to not taking A-level Maths or less competitive GCSE's, ensure you have a compelling personal statement which should make it fair game.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #2
I also dont take A-level Math (Econ, Socio, Psychology (A*A*A predicted)), and only got a GCSE 7 Math (mid GCSE's overall 777766555). I recently got an offer for bsc finance at Durham.

For anyone who is put off from applying owing to not taking A-level Maths or less competitive GCSE's, ensure you have a compelling personal statement which should make it fair game.

thanks so much!
Reply 11

What was examboard for your and which do you recommend and find easy to get that A* like out of econ and psychology as sociology you have to memorise bare like 100 people and more content then psychology and psych is more interesting from what I’ve seen???
Original post by aryc_30
What was examboard for your and which do you recommend and find easy to get that A* like out of econ and psychology as sociology you have to memorise bare like 100 people and more content then psychology and psych is more interesting from what I’ve seen???

Econ is edexcel, Socio and Psychology is AQA. While there is lots of content to memorize, its more than manageable.
For Economics I personally used PowerPoint slides from class and textbook to rejog memory, however, EconplusDal on youtube is the best source of econ revision for me- explains everything in a digestible manner. Create many clear essay plans after you have mastered the content per topic. Complete past papers- especially essays in timed conditioned.

For Psychology- I think the textbook they give is very helpful- also simplypsychology or psychboost are good additionals + essay plans and pp qs.

For Sociology- I dont like the textbook- so much content which you dont need-> once you get to grips with the curriculum youll see that there r lots of synoptic links and you can reuse thinkers and studies. If your teachers ppt slides are not useful-> tutor2u have decent videos but some I've watched arent to detailed. + essay plans etc
Reply 13
Econ is edexcel, Socio and Psychology is AQA. While there is lots of content to memorize, its more than manageable.
For Economics I personally used PowerPoint slides from class and textbook to rejog memory, however, EconplusDal on youtube is the best source of econ revision for me- explains everything in a digestible manner. Create many clear essay plans after you have mastered the content per topic. Complete past papers- especially essays in timed conditioned.

For Psychology- I think the textbook they give is very helpful- also simplypsychology or psychboost are good additionals + essay plans and pp qs.

For Sociology- I dont like the textbook- so much content which you dont need-> once you get to grips with the curriculum youll see that there r lots of synoptic links and you can reuse thinkers and studies. If your teachers ppt slides are not useful-> tutor2u have decent videos but some I've watched arent to detailed. + essay plans etc

Rule sociology if had to pick one which is better easier and interesting econ and psych bc sociology you have too much pointless content I don’t like and 30 markers and I don’t like it because of the heavy content and is not ez idk why people say it is just like they said about law I do aqa for sociology and psych tho btw and aqa for econ
Original post by aryc_30
Rule sociology if had to pick one which is better easier and interesting econ and psych bc sociology you have too much pointless content I don’t like and 30 markers and I don’t like it because of the heavy content and is not ez idk why people say it is just like they said about law I do aqa for sociology and psych tho btw and aqa for econ

Its not necessarily pointless content, similar to psychology. It may actually be more useful because there is so much content, that being many studies and thinkers to choose from- if you have a sold understanding of the theories + curriculum etc, choosing which study/thinker/argument to use will come easier. Your not expected to memorize the textbook, it takes some integrity so take it one step at a time- its more than manageable if you break your workload up.
Reply 15
Its not necessarily pointless content, similar to psychology. It may actually be more useful because there is so much content, that being many studies and thinkers to choose from- if you have a sold understanding of the theories + curriculum etc, choosing which study/thinker/argument to use will come easier. Your not expected to memorize the textbook, it takes some integrity so take it one step at a time- its more than manageable if you break your workload up.

Which would you recommend out of them
Original post by aryc_30
Which would you recommend out of them

i get the impression you have not started year 12, it depends what your looking to study at University- while my subject combination was not traditional for Quantitative courses like finance, it still can work our yet you will be at a disadvantage for highly competitive "quant degrees".

All the above subjects are good picks if your looking to study a social science/humanities, however, I suggest taking Maths if you are interested in econ/finance etc.

I cant recommend and give tailored opinions as I don't know you context or motivations.
Reply 17
i get the impression you have not started year 12, it depends what your looking to study at University- while my subject combination was not traditional for Quantitative courses like finance, it still can work our yet you will be at a disadvantage for highly competitive "quant degrees".

All the above subjects are good picks if your looking to study a social science/humanities, however, I suggest taking Maths if you are interested in econ/finance etc.

I cant recommend and give tailored opinions as I don't know you context or motivations.

Computer science degree but ez a level with maths and cs already out of psychology business and economics
Original post by aryc_30
Computer science degree but ez a level with maths and cs already out of psychology business and economics

No A-level will be EZ, someone who is interested in Math may struggle with an essay based subjects.- thus not enjoy revision and lessons.
So it may be smarter to preferably take physics/Further Math. - Especially if your looking to apply to top UK unis, where Comp Sci is oversubscribed.

But, if were to choose from those three, I think Economics would be a better third subject- assuming you enjoy math and comp sci.- think about taking physics/Further Math despite notoriously being hard.

Good luck to you!
No A-level will be EZ, someone who is interested in Math may struggle with an essay based subjects.- thus not enjoy revision and lessons.
So it may be smarter to preferably take physics/Further Math. - Especially if your looking to apply to top UK unis, where Comp Sci is oversubscribed.

But, if were to choose from those three, I think Economics would be a better third subject- assuming you enjoy math and comp sci.- think about taking physics/Further Math despite notoriously being hard.

Good luck to you!
Hi there out of your a levels which did you find hardest and easiest in exam and revise and do well

Quick Reply

Latest