The Student Room Group

AQA Biology ISA 2015 Diffusion GCSE

Is it okay if somebody marks a method that i did for me?If it is too much, pls can you give it a quick skim and let me know what i can do to improve it. This will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
The experiment is to find out how concentration affects diffusion.
Equipment
Labatory Balance,spatula,250ml beaker, potassium permanganate crystals,stop clock.
Method
1)Fill the beaker with 200ml of tap water.2)Connect the labatory balance to the mains supply and weigh out 2 grams of potassium permanganate crystals on the balance.3)After you have weighed the potassium permanganate crystals on the balance, transfer 2g of the crystals to the beaker containing the water using a spatula.4)Do not stir the solution.5)As soon as you have added the crystals, start the stopwatch and time how long it takes for the crystals to completely diffuse. You will know the crystals have completely diffused when the whole solution turns purple.Only stop timing when you can no longer see any clear areas.6) Repeat this experiment with the same mass (2g) of potassium permanganate crystals 3 times, in order to get reliable results and check for reproducibility. This will also help you to discount any anomolies if necessary.
Record these times in a results table and repeat the same experiment using 4g of potassium permanganate crystals and then 6g of the crystals. For each mass, repeat the experiment 3 times.
Original post by TLaw98
Is it okay if somebody marks a method that i did for me?If it is too much, pls can you give it a quick skim and let me know what i can do to improve it. This will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
The experiment is to find out how concentration affects diffusion.
Equipment
Labatory Balance,spatula,250ml beaker, potassium permanganate crystals,stop clock.
Method
1)Fill the beaker with 200ml of tap water.2)Connect the labatory balance to the mains supply and weigh out 2 grams of potassium permanganate crystals on the balance.3)After you have weighed the potassium permanganate crystals on the balance, transfer 2g of the crystals to the beaker containing the water using a spatula.4)Do not stir the solution.5)As soon as you have added the crystals, start the stopwatch and time how long it takes for the crystals to completely diffuse. You will know the crystals have completely diffused when the whole solution turns purple.Only stop timing when you can no longer see any clear areas.6) Repeat this experiment with the same mass (2g) of potassium permanganate crystals 3 times, in order to get reliable results and check for reproducibility. This will also help you to discount any anomolies if necessary.
Record these times in a results table and repeat the same experiment using 4g of potassium permanganate crystals and then 6g of the crystals. For each mass, repeat the experiment 3 times.

Hello :smile:
It's been a while since I did my isa but Ill try my best,
include resolution somewhere, so say fill the 250ml3 beaker (with a resolution on 50ml3) with 200ml3
Maybe say check the scales are zeroed because otherwise it could cause errors
have you stated the variables?

sorry this isn't great but I'm sure I wrote out what i needed to include for preperation for my own isa I'll have to root it out tommorow for you :smile:

sorry it's pretty shoddy help haha
Reply 2
Original post by Violetvirtue
Hello :smile:
It's been a while since I did my isa but Ill try my best,
include resolution somewhere, so say fill the 250ml3 beaker (with a resolution on 50ml3) with 200ml3
Maybe say check the scales are zeroed because otherwise it could cause errors
have you stated the variables?

sorry this isn't great but I'm sure I wrote out what i needed to include for preperation for my own isa I'll have to root it out tommorow for you :smile:

sorry it's pretty shoddy help haha

No, not at all, thanks very much for the advice, and that will be really helpful. thanks. If you manage to get it, pls may you just pm me or just send it on here or something thx :smile:
Ugh we're doing sooo many ISA's at the moment :'(
Include tap water in your equipment c:
I would write steps 3-6 like this:
3) Using a spatula, add the 2g Potassium Permanganate to the beaker of water and start the stopwatch at once.
4) Do not stir, and wait for the solution to turn purple. Immediately stop the stopwatch and record the time on the results table. (This bit is super important as there is a bullet point asking when you will record your results, so specify it ^-^) Everything else you have written for step 5 can be included in how you will make the experiment a fair/valid test, or you could talk about how different people will have varying judgement for some possible anomalies :wink:
And then your steps about repeating afterwards :smile:
Hope this helps *-* Sorry if the tone sounds patronising or anything, I don't mean it to xD
Reply 4
Original post by Pizzaa<3
3) Using a spatula, add the 2g Potassium Permanganate to the beaker of water and start the stopwatch at once.
4) Do not stir, and wait for the solution to turn purple. Immediately stop the stopwatch and record the time on the results table. (This bit is super important as there is a bullet point asking when you will record your results, so specify it ^-^) Everything else you have written for step 5 can be included in how you will make the experiment a fair/valid test, or you could talk about how different people will have varying judgement for some possible anomalies :wink:
Hope this helps *-* Sorry if the tone sounds patronising or anything, I don't mean it to xD

Thanks so much, this is so helpful :smile::tongue::wink:
Reply 5

Have you done the ISA? or...naa :smile:
Original post by TLaw98
Have you done the ISA? or...naa :smile:

Uhm we did it in yr 10 :smile:
Reply 7
Bet u got an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We haven't found out yet :'(
Although I think I must have, because i'm predicted A*, and the teachers 'suggested' we redo it if we got below our target, and I wasn't asked to :smile: But tbh there's not really much you have to learn/do for it, so it's an easy 25% of the GCSE :biggrin:
If anyone wants any help I would be happy to try and help you Im doing my GCSE's this year but I have already done and received all my ISA grades ( I do AQA too).. I got 47/50 in my bio isa which is a high A* and 49/50 in my chem isa :smile: so happy to help
Original post by gcsesimsoscared
If anyone wants any help I would be happy to try and help you Im doing my GCSE's this year but I have already done and received all my ISA grades ( I do AQA too).. I got 47/50 in my bio isa which is a high A* and 49/50 in my chem isa :smile: so happy to help

Hi Not sure If i've left it too late in contacting you as my exam is literally in 2 hours but I am doing the agar jelly experiment where all cube sizes are the same while I am changing the concentration gradient of the hydrochloric acid, I am doing paper 1 tonight and wondered what was on the paper and what is best to revise. I have revised most tings but wondered of questions on the paper and what is the best example of getting more marks.

If possible could you also give an example of comparing the sources,
Reply 11
We haven't found out yet :'(
Although I think I must have, because i'm predicted A*, and the teachers 'suggested' we redo it if we got below our target, and I wasn't asked to :smile: But tbh there's not really much you have to learn/do for it, so it's an easy 25% of the GCSE :biggrin:

Nice:wink: , i'm so happy for you
Reply 12

Alright thanks:smile:, well pls can you give me some specific advice on how to get the highest possible marks. thanks :smile:
Original post by TLaw98
Alright thanks:smile:, well pls can you give me some specific advice on how to get the highest possible marks. thanks :smile:

Well the best way to start is to look at the controlled assessment examiner report for June 2013 on the AQA website. I know this may seem pointless and that's what I always thought of examiner reports but I was wrong!! Especially for the CA it tells you what questions will definitely come up in paper 1 (as they are mandatory) and other ones that usually come up and the way in which you should answer them. Most of the questions in paper 1 are generic meaning that you can therefore write your answers to any possible questions from looking at past papers and the examiner reports before even stepping foot into the exam!! Learn and understand your answer and you can do paper 1 and probably come out with 100%!!! Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 14
Well the best way to start is to look at the controlled assessment examiner report for June 2013 on the AQA website. I know this may seem pointless and that's what I always thought of examiner reports but I was wrong!! Especially for the CA it tells you what questions will definitely come up in paper 1 (as they are mandatory) and other ones that usually come up and the way in which you should answer them. Most of the questions in paper 1 are generic meaning that you can therefore write your answers to any possible questions from looking at past papers and the examiner reports before even stepping foot into the exam!! Learn and understand your answer and you can do paper 1 and probably come out with 100%!!! Hope this helps a bit :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:, i have just read the examiners report and it is actually really helpful. I have my biology paper 1 soon so i will ley you know how i do:smile:
Reply 15
Well I have just done the Biology Paper 1 ISA and it wans't bad. Pls can you give me any tips for paper 2?
I would like tips for paper 2 if anybody can help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending