The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to take drugs for depression?

Has anyone tried any antidepressants?
I don't know how drugs compare to talk therapy. I heard that some studies claim drugs don't work or they only have a placebo effect. I am not too worried about the side- effects but to me it seems a bit supernatural that drugs can help solve depression. If depression comes from the way I think or my past experiences ad memories, how can drugs help that? In other words, how can changing the chemical balance in my body help solve issues that aren't tangible(thoughts)?
Can you please share your experiences with antidepressants and tell me if they help and whether you'd recommend them to me?

Spoiler

Thanks so much in advance
Drugs have to show an effect above placebo to be licensed at all and, while I'm not saying that there haven't been controversies over some antidepressant clinical trials, I think to dismiss them all as placebos is extremely short-sighted.

Secondly, depression isn't always about past experiences and how you think. Some theories link it to the level of different chemicals in your brain which is why a drug can help. CBT is good for resolving past experiences and changing the way you think but some studies show that a multi-pronged approach of taking antidepressants at the same time as the CBT gives the best rate of success. (not to mention the waiting list for cbt on the NHS can go into years so in the meantime antidepressants are often prescribed)

I have tried antidepressants and while there was a lot of trial and error eventually I found one that pretty much entirely solved my depression, so I'm pretty happy with that.
I've been taking 20mg of Prozac daily since last October for depression and I felt much better at first, up until the end of January where it just started to wear off a bit and now they've completely stopped working for me so idk they helped me at first but now I'm either going to have to have the dosage upped or swap medication and see what happens. So in my experience antidepressants did help me for a short period of time but not that significantly. I would recommend giving antidepressants a go though as there's lots of different types to help everyone and you won't know if they work for you if you don't try.
Reply 3
I was perscribed citalopram by the way. I forgot to mention.
Original post by Anonymous
I was perscribed citalopram by the way. I forgot to mention.

If you're not going to take it you should inform your doctor so your medical records are accurate. I would advise that you do your own unbiased research into this rather than relying on people who have no experience/have an agenda. I took citalopram first and while it didn't work for me the side effects were nothing too serious (nausea, headaches, weird dreams). Be aware it can take 6-8 weeks for the effect to kick in.
I don't know how drugs compare to talk therapy. I heard that some studies claim drugs don't work or they only have a placebo effect. I am not too worried about the side- effects but to me it seems a bit supernatural that drugs can help solve depression. If depression comes from the way I think or my past experiences ad memories, how can drugs help that? In other words, how can changing the chemical balance in my body help solve issues that aren't tangible(thoughts)?
Can you please share your experiences with antidepressants and tell me if they help and whether you'd recommend them to me?

Spoiler

Well if you think about it it's like how alcohol or marijuana or lsd drugs can change your thoughts but obviously not to the same extent.

I'd recommend you try it if you're curious, I found that it did help. It pretty much just made me not care about all the crap stuff so much. The talking kind of therapy is what didnt help me much since Im not much of a talker and Id cry and be unable to whenever I tried. Apparently a combination of both drugs and therapy is best but its just up to you.

You dont have to worry about side effects, its very unlikely. When I took antidepressants theyd start off with a small dose and I could ask to increase or decrease the dose or stop :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was put on Fluoxetine(Prozac) but it made me more suicidal very early on, and I was already quite suicidal before that so they decided to take me off it. Increased suicidal thoughts is a rare side effect in younger people (under 25) apparently. I will be talking to my counsellor about different medication later this week.

It seems most likely that my depression is caused by the chemicals in my brain which is why medication should help me.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
If you're not going to take it you should inform your doctor so your medical records are accurate. I would advise that you do your own unbiased research into this rather than relying on people who have no experience/have an agenda. I took citalopram first and while it didn't work for me the side effects were nothing too serious (nausea, headaches, weird dreams). Be aware it can take 6-8 weeks for the effect to kick in.

I think I'll take them. He only gave me two weeks supply anyways and said come back to see how it goes. He said its a big commitment and you must make sure you take them everyday because if you don't you'll feel bad on the day you don't take it. I am not afraid to take them although the very long leaflet inside looked quite intimidating. I think I just give too much credibility to conspiracy theories :p: drug companies are evil, they want to only publish the research results that brings them more money.
I asume you don't mean that they do miracles. If I have social anxiety, which I do, they're not going to make me go out there and make friends are they? They will only make me feel a bit more calm from the inside and not to think too much about how ugly and short I am, thus I will feel less anxious talking to other people. Something like this I presume?
And I don't think it takes years to get CBT on the NHS by the way. She told me you need to wait for 3-4 months but I then registered with the counselling service at my university which only took around 10 days. They only offer 6 sessions though.
Reply 8
Original post by Lyuz
Well if you think about it it's like how alcohol or marijuana or lsd drugs can change your thoughts but obviously not to the same extent.

I'd recommend you try it if you're curious, I found that it did help. It pretty much just made me not care about all the crap stuff so much. The talking kind of therapy is what didnt help me much since Im not much of a talker and Id cry and be unable to whenever I tried. Apparently a combination of both drugs and therapy is best but its just up to you.

You dont have to worry about side effects, its very unlikely. When I took antidepressants theyd start off with a small dose and I could ask to increase or decrease the dose or stop :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That actually makes it sense. I think I am beginning to understand how they work now.
And I think CBT doesn't work for me either. I had some CBT last year for like 8-9 sessions and I made very little difference. She basically just told me to go out there and do things you enjoy and not to worry too much. But I already knew all that, I just couldn't do them:s-smilie:. That's why I am keen about starting mediation. What medication did you use? Did it make you feel worse in the beginning? And how long did it take until you started to notice any difference at all? And can you also tell me how much they helped?
Thank you very much X
Reply 9
I was put on Fluoxetine(Prozac) but it made me more suicidal very early on, and I was already quite suicidal before that so they decided to take me off it. Increased suicidal thoughts is a rare side effect in younger people (under 25) apparently. I will be talking to my counsellor about different medication later this week.

It seems most likely that my depression is caused by the chemicals in my brain which is why medication should help me.

I hope you'll feel better soon :smile:. Can I ask for how long did you take Prozac? And do you say I shouldn't try or I just be aware that I might not be suited to a certain type of antidepressant?
I was on Citalopram for just over a year and it really helped me. Just be aware that it can make you feel more down in the first 2-3 weeks before it starts having an affect. Different drugs work for different people though so if you don't think it's helping then prozac or another alternative might be better.

Also, make sure you're weaned off when you do decide you don't need them. I wasn't and as a result im going to be asked to go back on them because I've returned to how I felt before them.
I think I'll take them. He only gave me two weeks supply anyways and said come back to see how it goes. He said its a big commitment and you must make sure you take them everyday because if you don't you'll feel bad on the day you don't take it. I am not afraid to take them although the very long leaflet inside looked quite intimidating. I think I just give too much credibility to conspiracy theories :p: drug companies are evil, they want to only publish the research results that brings them more money.
I asume you don't mean that they do miracles. If I have social anxiety, which I do, they're not going to make me go out there and make friends are they? They will only make me feel a bit more calm from the inside and not to think too much about how ugly and short I am, thus I will feel less anxious talking to other people. Something like this I presume?
And I don't think it takes years to get CBT on the NHS by the way. She told me you need to wait for 3-4 months but I then registered with the counselling service at my university which only took around 10 days. They only offer 6 sessions though.

Sounds good. Don't let the long leaflet put you off, basically they have to put down every side effect no matter how few people it effects. SSRIs are pretty safe drugs.

No, they don't work miracles particularly with regards to anxiety IME. You might feel less anxious inside which should help you do the things you want. Also if you're less depressed that should have a knock on effect with your anxiety.

The year thing depends on the area and counseling is very different to CBT. 3-4 months isn't too bad but when I lived in the UK I never got to the top of the waiting list. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I hope it helps you. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Sounds good. Don't let the long leaflet put you off, basically they have to put down every side effect no matter how few people it effects. SSRIs are pretty safe drugs.

No, they don't work miracles particularly with regards to anxiety IME. You might feel less anxious inside which should help you do the things you want. Also if you're less depressed that should have a knock on effect with your anxiety.

The year thing depends on the area and counseling is very different to CBT. 3-4 months isn't too bad but when I lived in the UK I never got to the top of the waiting list. :rolleyes:

Good luck, I hope it helps you. :smile:

Thanks so much for your help. May I ask another question please?

So I'm on day 2 and the main thing appears to be loss of appetite. I didn't eat any meals yesterday because I just didn't feel hungry. I did, however, tried to force myself to eat and I just couldn't. I am worried about losing too much weight during the treatment which lasts for months and I only weight 53kg, I'm underweight. Do you think this will continue or will it go within a few weeks.
Thanks so much for your help. May I ask another question please?

So I'm on day 2 and the main thing appears to be loss of appetite. I didn't eat any meals yesterday because I just didn't feel hungry. I did, however, tried to force myself to eat and I just couldn't. I am worried about losing too much weight during the treatment which lasts for months and I only weight 53kg, I'm underweight. Do you think this will continue or will it go within a few weeks.

No problem. :smile:

That can be a common side effect. It should wear off in a couple of weeks or so. When I've had to deal with not being hungry I went for things that I really enjoyed to stop myself from losing too much weight - mostly ice cream :colondollar: If it doesn't wear off, as you're already underweight, I'd go back to your GP and see what he says.
I know this is probably a late post to this thread but I wanted to share my experiences with anti- depressants:
In late 2013 I suffered greatly from depression, I had been going to counselling and then was referred to a local CAMHS about 6 months before this. All through my life i have suffered from anxiety (and still do) but when I started college it got so much worse. By the time I was going to CAHMS i was suicidal and just generally down. I was first perscribed 10ml of fluoxetine (prozac) in liquid form then moved onto 20mg in tablet form. And I seriously cannot believe how much it helped me! I was in such a state back then, when i think about it I feel like such a different person now. If you feel like you cant do anything else in order to help how you're feeling with your depression I would say try it out, but I would say to try other forms of help before hand like counselling or therapy. Anti depressants should only be used if other methods havent worked. Good luck with everything! remember that it does and will get better!
PS: as for side effects, I didnt really feel anything, just slight anxiety if I had forgotten to taken my pill that day or something (but that could just be me and my own anxiety issues) but apart from that nothing
(edited 9 years ago)
I know this is probably a late post to this thread but I wanted to share my experiences with anti- depressants:
In late 2013 I suffered greatly from depression, I had been going to counselling and then was referred to a local CAMHS about 6 months before this. All through my life i have suffered from anxiety (and still do) but when I started college it got so much worse. By the time I was going to CAHMS i was suicidal and just generally down. I was first perscribed 10ml of fluoxetine (prozac) in liquid form then moved onto 20mg in tablet form. And I seriously cannot believe how much it helped me! I was in such a state back then, when i think about it I feel like such a different person now. If you feel like you cant do anything else in order to help how you're feeling with your depression I would say try it out, but I would say to try other forms of help before hand like counselling or therapy. Anti depressants should only be used if other methods havent worked. Good luck with everything! remember that it does and will get better!
PS: as for side effects, I didnt really feel anything, just slight anxiety if I had forgotten to taken my pill that day or something (but that could just be me and my own anxiety issues) but apart from that nothing

Thanks mate. That was very helpful. I was prescribed with citalopram which is a weaker type of SSRI. I have been taking 20mg for 9 days now but I haven't felt any significant improvements yet. In fact, not the slightest. But maybe I just don't notice the changes I don't know. However, the side effects were minimal. I just had poor appetite in the first few days. No headaches, no anxiety, no suicidal thoughts, nothing. So in that sense, that was a good drug. How long did it take you to feel better?
Do you think it is time that I ask my doctor for an increased dose or another medicine like Fluoxetine ?
Thanks mate. That was very helpful. I was prescribed with citalopram which is a weaker type of SSRI. I have been taking 20mg for 9 days now but I haven't felt any significant improvements yet. In fact, not the slightest. But maybe I just don't notice the changes I don't know. However, the side effects were minimal. I just had poor appetite in the first few days. No headaches, no anxiety, no suicidal thoughts, nothing. So in that sense, that was a good drug. How long did it take you to feel better?
Do you think it is time that I ask my doctor for an increased dose or another medicine like Fluoxetine ?

To be honest I only was on prozac so cant really compare it to other antidepressants dude. It took about a month to really kick in and maybe the second month I was on it, I could really feel a difference. For me it was almost an overnight thing, but i was suprised at the quick effect it had on me as i was skeptical. I'd say ask your doctor to try it out, both my parents work within the mental health sector and both agree that prozac was the best choice out of all the other anti depressants, especially for young people, as its a more effective option!
Hope that helps!
Reply 17

Spoiler

I think the medication is meant to aid you while you have your therapy where you talk through your issues. Because I'm at uni, I can't attend therapy so I just rely on my medication to help me keep going. I was first on dosulepin which I had a really bad reaction to and made my mental health so much worse. So I was moved onto sertraline which was okay but I could stay in bed for days and was constantly drowsy. So I've been moved onto citalopram. Not to say these meds will also affect you this way, but if you do get put onto medication don't stay on the same one if you feel like it's not helping you.

Quick Reply

Latest